• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I report?

VickyC83

Mama Doe
There's a family and few doors down from where I live. They have a single bunny living on her own outside. The hutch is elevated but is too small. I can honestly say I've never seen them let her out for a run and they never seem to interact with her. She sits at the front of the hutch looking so hopeful that someone will pay her attention.
I noticed that her hutch hadn't been covered at the front yesterday through all the rain we had. I'm not the only one who has noticed that things aren't right. I don't think it's being done intentionally, I think it's the usual ignorance of not knowing how to care properly.

The people really aren't approachable so I can't talk to them. It's breaking my heart. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You can report them, but I'd also ask anyone else who has noticed and is of age to report too as the more reports they get the better.

Be sure to point out that the hutch doesn't provide appropriate accommodation as it doesn't shelter from the elements and also point out that it doesn't allow the rabbit to express it's natural behaviour. Both are against the 5 freedoms and animal welfare act.

ETA : I've come across these people you simply can not communicate with. No matter what you say they instantly become defensive and aggressive. Even a simple Hi can set them off. Personally I avoid if they're the type as in the past I've had more trouble with these people than I would have if I'd have just reported them anonymously.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There's a family and few doors down from where I live. They have a single bunny living on her own outside. The hutch is elevated but is too small. I can honestly say I've never seen them let her out for a run and they never seem to interact with her. She sits at the front of the hutch looking so hopeful that someone will pay her attention.
I noticed that her hutch hadn't been covered at the front yesterday through all the rain we had. I'm not the only one who has noticed that things aren't right. I don't think it's being done intentionally, I think it's the usual ignorance of not knowing how to care properly.

The people really aren't approachable so I can't talk to them. It's breaking my heart. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Something in my bones tells me that reporting them won't make any long term difference but I hope I'm wrong there :(

Trying to get her out is the only way. Otherwise she will be an (ill kept) living ornament in that hutch for the rest of her painful little life :cry:

Well,
I would first get someone to speak to them, someone who is good at that and can diplomaticly avoid criticism or accusations. Maybe offer help in finding a new, well, better place for the rabbit. An equally small cage in an overcrowded shelter without decent quarantine procedures, or being just killed, ahh, "euthanized" (here, I don't know of shelters that take in rabbits, apart from private enterprises that have their own problems).

Here, thanks to new "animal protection" laws only registered breeders and commercial enterprises are allowed to advertise pets on the internet now, so here most animals that overwhelm their owners, or when situations change, or someone is allergic, will face that situation, no way to find new homes. Have tried to get a neighbour sell his rabbits before that law, but it was too late. But, hey, it's animal protection as peolple with no clue or with financial interests seem fit. :(
Could not sell any either, all this years offspring is going to the freezer. Great new law.

The people really aren't approachable so I can't talk to them.

What's the worst that can happen? Ok, I reckon there are people who are difficult indeed, but well, after an approach not talking to you ever again wouldn't change much, right?

She sits at the front of the hutch looking so hopeful that someone will pay her attention.

That part is what you concieve, what your brain makes of what you see, not what the rabbit actually feels. I would avoid making such projections an argument.
Many stupid things are done for good intentions, a few years ago I had 3 girls show up at my door asking if one of the two "lost" dogs they caught was mine (it was normal in that area that the dogs roam quite free, no wildlife, no problem), one of the girls already bleeding from a bite..

Reporting them to authorities, well, I don't know the situation with those is where you live, but I would not do it without approching them first (or let someone who is better at that do it). Here, authorities are the rather big stick, I saw bad things caused by Righteous Blockwarts For The Just Cause, doing harm to people that had problems to begin with, and didn't actually do something terribly wrong....
Also that can easily be turned around and make my life hell. Bringing someone turn Blockwart on me is something I can definitly do without.

My approach is that people aren't that bad as one might fear, talking never harms as long as you are sure to stop before an argument gets serious.

Don't even think about stealing, ah, "rescueing" the rabbit illegaly.

Last edited:
It is worth noting that Preitler is not in the UK so their experience and culture will be different to here in the UK.
Rescues over here are aware of rabbits needs and all I've come across insist on a minimum of 60sqft as per the RWAF recommendation.

The RSPCA 9/10 will offer to take the rabbit into rescue if the owners don't feel they can or want to look after it anymore. If they decide not to sign over the often try to improve the rabbits QOL with the owner and will check back after a couple weeks. It is a last resort to prosecute and use police to take control of the rabbit unless it is obviously suffering/being refused good QOL or veterinary treatment.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm thinking what I'd do if it was me in your situation, as it must be sad to see.

I don't think I'd rush into reporting though. When you say others have noticed too, have any of them spoken to the owners before (about anything) and might feel more able to approach them. Although I can't think how you could word a conversation without insinuating they are neglecting their rabbit (even though you are) and getting their backs up.

I think I'd want to take the rabbit in myself and maybe find a way to offer to have them. But again, how do you do that without it coming across badly?

Sorry not very helpful. Bit of a difficult one! x

Thanks daphnephoebe, I may have not pointed out enough that the situation on your cute little island is different to here, close to balkan. (Actually I like England, was there 3 times for several weeks, Huddersfield and Exeter at age 13 and 15, love your breakfast with the beans and stuff, keep your beer, but honestly - you're somewhat weird :wave::D, last time I was there a few years ago was for taking aerial pictures of crop circles with a drone - great)

About that others noticing, and communicating it by grapevine rumors, pardon me, that's close to mobbing. Stop it, talk to that people. They are just people, who too like animals, but may have problems caring for them.

Well, that "The people really aren't approachable" simply puts me off, some friends of mine are among that scorned at or despised by others, they are not bad people. Mostly it's a communication problem, or a lack of clemency (Right word? Do not know).
Anyway, do not fear.

Last edited:
Ah, another thing to point out is that I'm not that good at English, and I have been made aware that my last post may be concieved as sarcastic, which is not intended. I apologize to everyone offended. Sorry.

So, the UK has a great rabbit rescue and care system, I've been told. Point is, anyway, that all this here is read by people all over the world, that's the thing with internet, and most do not enjoy that privilege that dumped rabbits will be perfectly cared for.

Last edited:
Ah, another thing to point out is that I'm not that good at English, and I have been made aware that my last post may be concieved as sarcastic, which is not intended. I apologize to everyone offended. Sorry.

So, the UK has a great rabbit rescue and care system, I've been told. Point is, anyway, that all this here is read by people all over the world, that's the thing with internet, and most do not enjoy that privilege that dumped rabbits will be perfectly cared for.

This is a UK, and pro-rescue based list Preitler, as I'm sure you're aware :)

I'm aware of that now. It doesn't change the fact that it is one site that is read all over the world. If you want to keep to yourself, well, I'm sure that should be easy tweeking software in ways to shut us out. Meanwhile, though, I beg you to accept, counter, ignore or whatever - opinions from other parts of the globe.

I never tried to hide where I'm from.

I'm sorry if some things I posted is concieved as aggressive, sarcastic, whatever. Sorry.

Unfortunatly, here, animal welfare is a domain of quite lunatics doing more harm than good, although that's just a summ up, 90% of the people involved are actually ok, the problem is with those who go political.

Last edited:
Ultimately this rabbits' welfare is paramount.....let's try to keep focused and see what we can do to help it's plight. RWA leaflets.....any RU members nearby willing and able to offer some form of support? I appreciate the fact that the family may not really care about this poor bunny, however that does not mean that we should just stand by and do nothing. The 5 freedoms are not being adhered to by the sounds of it, and ideally the owners need to have this brought to their attention.

. The 5 freedoms are not being adhered to by the sounds of it, and ideally the owners need to have this brought to their attention.

Oh gosh. Pardon me (if you're at it anyway)

THE 5 FREEDOMS? Really? (ok, this time I'm being sarcastic)

Gosh, just go and have a chat with those people, they are not Voldemort, or Trump or May! Have your local priest accompy you if you feel unsure. Those ARE NOT BAD people. They may need help. Go ahead. There's nothing to lose.

So. you've got some contradicting advice. Listen to your heart, ask people close to the situation- no matter if you know them, just get in contact.

that's my advice, that I give from very limited sources.

Oh gosh. Pardon me (if you're at it anyway)

THE 5 FREEDOMS? Really? (ok, this time I'm being sarcastic)

Gosh, just go and have a chat with those people, they are not Voldemort, or Trump or May! Have your local priest accompy you if you feel unsure. Those ARE NOT BAD people. They may need help. Go ahead. There's nothing to lose.

So. you've got some contradicting advice. Listen to your heart, ask people close to the situation- no matter if you know them, just get in contact.

that's my advice, that I give from very limited sources.

Interesting reply!!

Can we please have a polite discussion without the sarcasm.

Reporting isn't always the best way to go I don't think, especially in cases where the owners aren't being purposely neglectful but are misinformed.

I'd try to engage them in friendly conversation - say that you have rabbits yourself, talk about the cute things they do etc and offer to drop off some leaflets that you don't need any more, for example.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not sure if this will be helpful at all but thought I would add it anyway. I had a similar situation when I was a mental health community worker. My client told me that her neighbour had two rabbits in the garden, in tiny hutches, one on top of the other. She had never seen them being fed or going outside or being paid any attention. I was well aware that just because she hadn't seen it, didn't mean it wasn't happening, but she offered to pay more attention and was home most of the time due to her illness.

The next time I saw her she said she had seen food being put in the hutch but that was all. In my head I then stupidly started working out how I could 'bunnynap' these poor rabbits so that it would appear they had escaped - which is illegal and I would also have lost my job.

In the meantime my client had the sense to talk to her neighbour, found out that the bunnies were bought for a grandchild when they visited who had since lost interest, and they were desperate to get rid of them, along with the hutches, so were more than happy for me to rehome them.

A friend with a van helped me and I took the buns home. I was told they were two boys and had been kept apart so they wouldn't fight. The vet said that they were actually two girls so I eventually bonded them. Initially, one of them, Daisy, was agoraphobic and wouldn't come out of her hutch. It took a long time for her to realise that 'outside' was actually safe and not scary at all. She had a lot of illnesses and eventually had to have an eye removed and was almost blind in the other one but both bunnies had a much better, albeit not perfect by any means, life with me, thanks to my sensible, animal-loving, client.

If it happened now I wouldn't be able to rehome them as my financial position is not as stable as it was then but maybe you could chat to their owners and offer to look after them when they go on holiday maybe and open a friendly dialogue with them?

I can understand VickyC83 being nervous about the neighbours who own the rabbit getting angry. My rabbit was living in a neglectful situation with relatives/people I know very well, and when my partner approached them about not giving the rabbit enough attention they got very angry/defensive. If a family member reacts in that way then how is a total stranger going to be? I get what you're saying Preitler, that you have to give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes and assume that they're nice people who are just ignorant of the animal's needs.

However, I feel like (at least in the UK anyway) a lot of pet shops almost endorse neglectful ownership. Bigger chains like Pets at Home seem to be selling much more spacious and appropriate hutches now, but two independently run pet shops I know still sell tiny hutches that wouldn't even be appropriate for a small guinea pig, let alone a rabbit!

Also you'd think it would be obvious to people that animals like rabbits who naturally live in huge expanses of grass would need a lot of space to roam around in every day, but I have it on good authority that my rabbit was confined to his hutch for two years with no exercise at all.

You want to give people the benefit of the doubt but at the same time I can imagine a lot of rabbits are secluded to a life of misery because of the ignorance of what their needs are.

I'm not sure what to suggest - how well can you see the hutch this rabbit is in?

Back