• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding - before/after spay?

beck

Mama Doe
Hi all,
some advice please.

What is the best time to go about bonding Blueberry, before her spay op or after?

I was going to wait until after but have read it can speed up a doe's recovery from a spay op if she has a bonded companion.

If after, how long should I wait for her to be fully healed before finding her a boyfriend? The sanctuary near has nuetered boys.

Honey was a baby when she was introduced to neutered male Alfie, he died in the summer and we introduced her to Hobo, a neutered male. I did not get her spayed until after they were bonded. So, personally, I would say go for it. However, Honey had always been used to companionship and was desperately lonely after losing Alfie so we didn't really think about it too much.

Its up to the bunny but I would say definitely after.

For four months I put up with stress and fights and separating my two as I couldn't have her spayed (she was too little) then she got spayed, I waited 2 weeks for her to heal, and she was a different bunny.

Actually I did go on holiday for a week near the end of her healing and they both stayed (in separate cages but next to one another) at a friends so when they returned back to my house they were both let out together and they instantly bonded. So maybe that helped speed up the process too!

How old is she/how long til her spay?

Does the sanctuary allow her to go and choose her own boyfriend? If there are still a couple of months til her spay and she can pick her friend then yes you could go for it now as there is a good chance they could be bonded by the time she is spayed.

If she's going to be spayed in the next couple of weeks then it may be best to wait until afterwards rather than adding the stress of introductions at the same time.

Tam

Back