• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something not right with front paw but doesn't seem to be a break? - Solved

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hey everyone,
Sorry to bother you all, just wondering if anyone has any advice? I've just come back from the vet with Mishka as she's been holding her paw up today. I thought it was broken but the vet doesn't think it is. He's felt the whole leg and paw quite thoroughly. There doesn't seem to be any swelling but when she was at home before she wasn't holding it right. Of course in the vets she looked normal and was walking around on it like there was nothing wrong :roll: She's always had something about her front paws, she never likes you touching them - not just in a normal 'don't you touch my paws' way that rabbits have anyway, she seems especially bothered by it. When she had her myxi/rhd vacc a couple of months back she seemed to be bothered by it then (I was clipping her nails before she went in and she wouldn't let me clip the nails on her front paws) but I got it checked then and again the vet didn't find anything wrong (that time it was my normal vet, today was a different one).
Now today it didn't look right to me visually and she definitely prefered not to use it, though a few times she has put weight on it and has used it twice to clean her face. So I'm a bit confused.
The vet said maybe it could be a soft tissue injury but doesn't seem to be too worried about it. He seems quite sure it's not broken and as I say he checked it thoroughly. He's given her a metacam injection and she's going back in 24hrs to see how she's been but I can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe he's right and it is a soft tissue injury but I'm sure it's not normal for her to be as bothered about her front paws as she is. Although she is a 'diva bunny' as my vet calls her :roll:
My instinct says there's something not right about it but it doesn't seem to be broken or swollen so I don't know what else it could be? She's only two so I really doubt it's arthritis. What else could it be in a front paw if it's not a break?

Last edited:
Could she have a skeletal condition that might result in a nerve being pinched, such as arthritis or spondylosis? My Mimzy was diagnosed with early onset arthritis at 3 years old and had days when it seemed like his paws weren't working right, but there were no breaks or fractures found on xray. Same with Fiver, my mini rex, who has gone lame in a front leg for a few days and then it returned to normal with bed rest and heat. We had thought it was due to a medication he'd been on, as when we withdrew it the leg returned to normal, but that could have been coincidence.

How old is Mishka?

She's only two so quite young for arthritis to be likely I'd have thought, though with that said it's awful that Mimzy had it at three! So young to be suffering with that :(
She's quite an energetic girl and she is quite a jumper. She's always up and down off the bed - or anything else that looks remotely climbable. I'd have thought if that hurt her she wouldn't jump quite so much?
I've just checked on her and she's definitely not right on it. She's avoiding using it where she can so I'm sure it's hurting her. The metacam should have taken effect by now I'd have thought? It's been nearly 2hrs.
I can see her having to have it x-rayed which I was hoping to avoid as she'll have to be sedated. Not a risk I'm keen on if it can be avoided.

Hey everyone,
Sorry to bother you all, just wondering if anyone has any advice? I've just come back from the vet with Mishka as she's been holding her paw up today. I thought it was broken but the vet doesn't think it is. He's felt the whole leg and paw quite thoroughly. There doesn't seem to be any swelling but when she was at home before she wasn't holding it right. Of course in the vets she looked normal and was walking around on it like there was nothing wrong :roll: She's always had something about her front paws, she never likes you touching them - not just in a normal 'don't you touch my paws' way that rabbits have anyway, she seems especially bothered by it. When she had her myxi/rhd vacc a couple of months back she seemed to be bothered by it then (I was clipping her nails before she went in and she wouldn't let me clip the nails on her front paws) but I got it checked then and again the vet didn't find anything wrong (that time it was my normal vet, today was a different one).
Now today it didn't look right to me visually and she definitely prefered not to use it, though a few times she has put weight on it and has used it twice to clean her face. So I'm a bit confused.
The vet said maybe it could be a soft tissue injury but doesn't seem to be too worried about it. He seems quite sure it's not broken and as I say he checked it thoroughly. He's given her a metacam injection and she's going back in 24hrs to see how she's been but I can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe he's right and it is a soft tissue injury but I'm sure it's not normal for her to be as bothered about her front paws as she is. Although she is a 'diva bunny' as my vet calls her :roll:
My instinct says there's something not right about it but it doesn't seem to be broken or swollen so I don't know what else it could be? She's only two so I really doubt it's arthritis. What else could it be in a front paw if it's not a break?

I'm really sorry to hear this. What a worry!

I guess you've checked all the obvious - her nails (nor curling in or deformed?), her weight is OK?

If she springs about a bit, it could well be a soft tissue injury - does the vet want to give it a period of days on Metacam to see what happens, or is he keen to X-ray now?

The other thing that occurred to me, if she's being X-rayed, is something to do with her spine. Not arthritis, but perhaps some spinal 'abnormality' that means she is not putting her weight equally on both front legs. I have known this in one of our rescue rabbits. It was something we had to constantly watch out for, as it tended to 'come and go' and it's difficult to deal with elusive and intermittent symptoms.

The other thing I wondered was if she's been stung by anything - an insect or nettle or something she might be allergic to that bothering her front leg. Have you examined all the leg/fur/skin in detail of that leg and also the other front one? Sometimes it's referred from one leg to the other when there's a problem.

Sorry for my ramblings, but I hope something there might help in a tiny way :)

No, I've never fed hawthorn. I do give a few other spiky things like dried echinacea but I checked as best I could (bear in mind she earned the title 'diva' from my vet for a reason :roll:) for anything in her paw and haven't been able to find anything in it or any cuts etc. I've checked her dewclaw wasn't growing in too and although her nails are a little long it's not long enough to be causing a problem.

Her nails are about due for a trim though I'm not going to put her through that tonight but they're not deformed or overgrown enough to cause a problem. One of the first things I thought of was a dewclaw growing in as I know Lunar's curl a lot and if you don't keep them in check I'm sure they'd grow in but Mishka's look okay. Interestingly she did have a problem with her nails when we got her, two of them didn't have the quick showing and I saw a little dried blood near the nail bed. They seemed to be 'dead' for quite some time after that but eventually the quick seemed to grow back. I can't see anything wrong now but it's a good thought. When she lets me I'll see if I can get a more thorough look.

The vet didn't seem too keen to x-ray her today - he offered it as an option but I don't think he thought it was necessary. So far she the metacam doesn't seem to have changed anything - she had it about 7.30.
He's given her one 24hr dose of injected metacam to see how she goes on that and then possibly give her a course of it on her next check up if it seems to be doing anything for her.
She was weighed today and she's 2.1kg, about normal for her.

I personally don't feel it's likely to be her spine, but I could be completely wrong. It seems to be the paw itself giving trouble, not the leg or anything further up. But it's interesting that you mention one of your rescues having that problem. If she gets an x-ray I'll ask them if they feel they should look at the spine at the same time.

Being stung I never thought of. She's completely indoors at the moment and doesn't go outside. I've not seen any insects in the house that could sting, but there are a few spiders around (though I haven't seen any in their room). I suppose one could have bitten her? I haven't fed any nettles for a while and nothing else new, just what she always has. I'll give her another check to see if theres something I could have missed.

Thanks Mightmax, there are certainly some things there I hadn't thought of! And thank you so much to everyone else, you're always so wonderful :)

Her nails are about due for a trim though I'm not going to put her through that tonight but they're not deformed or overgrown enough to cause a problem. One of the first things I thought of was a dewclaw growing in as I know Lunar's curl a lot and if you don't keep them in check I'm sure they'd grow in but Mishka's look okay. Interestingly she did have a problem with her nails when we got her, two of them didn't have the quick showing and I saw a little dried blood near the nail bed. They seemed to be 'dead' for quite some time after that but eventually the quick seemed to grow back. I can't see anything wrong now but it's a good thought. When she lets me I'll see if I can get a more thorough look.

The vet didn't seem too keen to x-ray her today - he offered it as an option but I don't think he thought it was necessary. So far she the metacam doesn't seem to have changed anything - she had it about 7.30.
He's given her one 24hr dose of injected metacam to see how she goes on that and then possibly give her a course of it on her next check up if it seems to be doing anything for her.
She was weighed today and she's 2.1kg, about normal for her.

I personally don't feel it's likely to be her spine, but I could be completely wrong. It seems to be the paw itself giving trouble, not the leg or anything further up. But it's interesting that you mention one of your rescues having that problem. If she gets an x-ray I'll ask them if they feel they should look at the spine at the same time.

Being stung I never thought of. She's completely indoors at the moment and doesn't go outside. I've not seen any insects in the house that could sting, but there are a few spiders around (though I haven't seen any in their room). I suppose one could have bitten her? I haven't fed any nettles for a while and nothing else new, just what she always has. I'll give her another check to see if theres something I could have missed.

Thanks Mightmax, there are certainly some things there I hadn't thought of! And thank you so much to everyone else, you're always so wonderful :)

You're welcome :)

Regarding the spinal thing - I agree it's not likely, but a spine out of alignment will throw weight unevenly, just as when a dog or cat has hip dysplasia.

Perhaps if you palpate both her front legs, separately, very gently, you might pinpoint an area that's sensitive - she might draw back to let you know it's not nice there.

Spiders can bite, yes, but again, it's not too likely. But it sounds like an unusual problem anyway!

Skin infection/ sensitivity, or possible nerve damage (through jumping?). The nerve damage may not actually be painful for her. Has the vet checked for feeing in the foot itself? Can you check for that?

Digging and scratching can cause damage to a nail bed that you wouldn't necessary see. Time would heal that one :)

I agree with your vet - longer term Metacam and (if you can!) some restriction on her jumping :)

She's really not keen on me messing with it at the moment so I'll let her be for a little bit and have another look at her soon but there's definitely something not right with the paw. She pulls it in and lifts it when she's sitting still and pulls it back in when she's laying down.
With that now said she uses it for walking and she's stilling running with it. A quirk she has is when you give her food (particularly high-value things like her fibafirst, a slice of apple or carrot etc) she always runs around madly for a while before finally settling to eat it (and sometimes she'll pick it up and do it again half way through eating it. She's insane.) I just gave her a treat and sure enough she's doing her usual mad dash, parading around with it. She can definitely still run on the paw.
Maybe the vet's right and it is a soft tissue injury?

She's really not keen on me messing with it at the moment so I'll let her be for a little bit and have another look at her soon but there's definitely something not right with the paw. She pulls it in and lifts it when she's sitting still and pulls it back in when she's laying down.
With that now said she uses it for walking and she's stilling running with it. A quirk she has is when you give her food (particularly high-value things like her fibafirst, a slice of apple or carrot etc) she always runs around madly for a while before finally settling to eat it (and sometimes she'll pick it up and do it again half way through eating it. She's insane.) I just gave her a treat and sure enough she's doing her usual mad dash, parading around with it. She can definitely still run on the paw.
Maybe the vet's right and it is a soft tissue injury?

Yeah, could well be. A pulled muscle. I would probably sprint across the room with my gammy knee for some delicious choccy :)

Seriously, you have to exclude that first, if she's putting weight on it to that extent. She may have a weakness if she's strained it in the past, and it's brought back the pain memory.

Why did your vet think she was a Diva? :)

You're welcome :)

Regarding the spinal thing - I agree it's not likely, but a spine out of alignment will throw weight unevenly, just as when a dog or cat has hip dysplasia.

Perhaps if you palpate both her front legs, separately, very gently, you might pinpoint an area that's sensitive - she might draw back to let you know it's not nice there.

Spiders can bite, yes, but again, it's not too likely. But it sounds like an unusual problem anyway!

Skin infection/ sensitivity, or possible nerve damage (through jumping?). The nerve damage may not actually be painful for her. Has the vet checked for feeing in the foot itself? Can you check for that?

Digging and scratching can cause damage to a nail bed that you wouldn't necessary see. Time would heal that one :)

I agree with your vet - longer term Metacam and (if you can!) some restriction on her jumping :)

That's a good idea, I'll try that with her soon. The vet did that and I thought I picked up on her reacting more to one digit but he didn't say anything. I'll give that a go when she's less grumpy with me :p
Damage, perhaps to the nerve, would certainly be possible with her. She's absolutely insane. I could see her easily damaging something the way she is. There's nowhere she won't jump and she seems to have absolutely no sense of self preservation. It's just a matter of 'I want to go over there, I'm just going to jump for it, not work it out to see if I can actually make it across'. I've had to catch her more than once from a bad fall. Like I say, she's insane.
Digging again is a favourite pastime. She digs a lot. I feel like maybe you could be on to something with the nails. Even though the looked okay when I checked, her nails have always given her trouble so that just might be it.
I get the feeling she wasn't handled particularly well by her breeders. She was a pet shop rabbit and as well as the broken nails she had when we got her her back end was awful. Stained orange all over, right down her legs. She has never had trouble like that since so I can't help but feel she was kept in poor conditions. She (usually) keeps herself beautifully white.

Restriction on her jumping? I'll get back to you on that one... :p

That's a good idea, I'll try that with her soon. The vet did that and I thought I picked up on her reacting more to one digit but he didn't say anything. I'll give that a go when she's less grumpy with me :p
Damage, perhaps to the nerve, would certainly be possible with her. She's absolutely insane. I could see her easily damaging something the way she is. There's nowhere she won't jump and she seems to have absolutely no sense of self preservation. It's just a matter of 'I want to go over there, I'm just going to jump for it, not work it out to see if I can actually make it across'. I've had to catch her more than once from a bad fall. Like I say, she's insane.
Digging again is a favourite pastime. She digs a lot. I feel like maybe you could be on to something with the nails. Even though the looked okay when I checked, her nails have always given her trouble so that just might be it.
I get the feeling she wasn't handled particularly well by her breeders. She was a pet shop rabbit and as well as the broken nails she had when we got her her back end was awful. Stained orange all over, right down her legs. She has never had trouble like that since so I can't help but feel she was kept in poor conditions. She (usually) keeps herself beautifully white.

Restriction on her jumping? I'll get back to you on that one... :p

:lol:

Tried to have a look again just now and she's really reacting to it being touched. She'd keeping it tucked underneath her now. It could be she's had enough of being messed around with for one day but I think it's causing her more pain. Somehow I can see us back up the vet tomorrow

Tried to have a look again just now and she's really reacting to it being touched. She'd keeping it tucked underneath her now. It could be she's had enough of being messed around with for one day but I think it's causing her more pain. Somehow I can see us back up the vet tomorrow

You need to get more Metacam for her anyway, don't you?

Well they had several emergencies in tonight and she actually got seen about 7.30 (they're supposed to close at 7pm) and the metacam is supposed to last 24hrs so they'll be closed when it runs out. She's booked in for 9.30 Wednesday morning for a recheck but to be honest as she has no metacam overnight tomorrow and I'm now sure it's hurting her I think I'll phone tomorrow and get her in tomorrow instead, unless there's some miraculous improvement overnight which I doubt.
I don't think the vet thought she was that bad as she wasn't really showing much when she was in there. I can't say for certain but I think she might just be a little worse now. I'm sure she's reacting in pain so the metacam obviously isn't doing enough.
I think my normal vet is in tomorrow so I'll see what she says but I think she's going to need an x-ray. I'm really worried about the sedation but not sure we'll have much choice :?

Well they had several emergencies in tonight and she actually got seen about 7.30 (they're supposed to close at 7pm) and the metacam is supposed to last 24hrs so they'll be closed when it runs out. She's booked in for 9.30 Wednesday morning for a recheck but to be honest as she has no metacam overnight tomorrow and I'm now sure it's hurting her I think I'll phone tomorrow and get her in tomorrow instead, unless there's some miraculous improvement overnight which I doubt.
I don't think the vet thought she was that bad as she wasn't really showing much when she was in there. I can't say for certain but I think she might just be a little worse now. I'm sure she's reacting in pain so the metacam obviously isn't doing enough.
I think my normal vet is in tomorrow so I'll see what she says but I think she's going to need an x-ray. I'm really worried about the sedation but not sure we'll have much choice :?

If you want to pick up Metacam without taking her in, that's usually possible, as she's been seen recently.

Regarding the X-ray, don't worry about the sedation. It's very light and they recover quickly :)

I finally managed to get Mishka to sit still enough for me to have a better look and I was right, she was reacting to one digit in particular. After some treat bribing I got her to sit still enough to look closer - it's the nail after all. It's broken right near the bed. I must admit it looks incredibly painful so I certainly understand why she was in so much pain but I feel awful and stupid for not seeing it before! I thought I'd checked all her nails well :/
Then again the vet missed it too...
Not sure what to do now, when a nail is completely broken like that does a vet need to remove it? It certainly looks quite painful so I think she'll surely need some metacam.
So relieved that it's not a broken bone but I feel awful for not seeing it sooner!

I finally managed to get Mishka to sit still enough for me to have a better look and I was right, she was reacting to one digit in particular. After some treat bribing I got her to sit still enough to look closer - it's the nail after all. It's broken right near the bed. I must admit it looks incredibly painful so I certainly understand why she was in so much pain but I feel awful and stupid for not seeing it before! I thought I'd checked all her nails well :/
Not sure what to do now, when a nail is completely broken like that does a vet need to remove it? It certainly looks quite painful so I think she'll surely need some metacam.
So relieved that it's not a broken bone but I feel awful for not seeing it sooner!

Ouchee !! It may be that the Vet will need to remove the damaged nail if it is hanging off. Otherwise Bunny will keep catching it and it'll hurt more. Once the damaged nail is removed new nail should grow quite quickly. Hopefully the Vet you see today will be able to sort things out and also prescribe some Metacam for a couple of days xx

Don't feel bad, you knew something was wrong and you've taken the time and care to work out what it is.
She's lucky to have you as her caring and loving slave.

I hope the nail heals quickly x

Aaawww I am glad our late night conversations managed to sort a way forward for you!

You've said she's a digger, so I guess what I would do is take her to the vet and get that nail seen to. If they don't want to take it off, then I am sure they will give good advice as to what to do. Stress that she never sits still and also digs so it will need to be protected.

And Metacam, as we discussed last night, will be essential.

And don't beat yourself up! We got to the bottom of it after a few go's - that's the main thing! :D

Back