• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi all - new french lop

Hi all, I have bought my first French lop bunny. He's now 10weeks old and I've had him for 2 weeks.
I wanted to come on here for tips, advice and just general bunny chat!
He's an outdoors bunny in the day but comes indoors of an evening. He has a 6ft x 3ft x 4ft hutch and I plan to add an additional run on as he grows. He's out from 6.45 to 8.20 of a morning and then 6.30 to 10.30onwards of an evening. He has plenty of toys, things to chew, tunnel to play in and treat toys. He has had his vaccination, wormer and I plan to neuter him as soon as I can (what do I look out for?!)...
He's had a few chewy, stroppy moments but generally he's a good boy. Any tips to keep him healthy and stress free are much appreciated. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I have bought my first French lop bunny. He's now 10weeks old and I've had him for 2 weeks.
He's an outdoors bunny in the day but comes indoors of an evening. He has a 6ft x 3ft x 4ft hutch and I plan to add an additional run on as he grows. He's out from 6.45 to 8.20 of a morning and then 6.30 to 10.30onwards of an evening. He has plenty of toys, things to chew, tunnel to play in and treat toys. He has had his vaccination, wormer and I plan to neuter him as soon as I can (what do I look out for?!)...
He's had a few chewy, stroppy moments but generally he's a good boy. Any tips to keep him healthy and stress free are much appreciated. Thanks :)

Hello :D

Your Bunny sounds lovely, what is his name ?

With reference to his housing arrangements, Rabbits do not do too well with being moved from a colder outdoor environment to a warm indoor one and then back out again. So as we approach winter you may need to rethink bringing him indoors in the evenings if he cannot live indoors full time. Also, if he is 'free range' outside it is essential that he is always supervised. Predator attacks do not just happen at night, sadly :cry:

Rabbits are social animals and they really do need a companion of their own kind. This is especially the case for Rabbits kept outdoors.

There is a vast amount of information about Rabbit accommodation, health,diet, welfare etc on the Rabbiit Welfare Association and Fund's website, so I'd take a good look through all of it :)

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Then their is Tamsin's (Owner of RU) website 'The Rabbit House'

http://www.therabbithouse.com/

With regards to neutering, Bucks can be neutered as soon as their testicles descend (you will be able to see them/feel them !!). Bucks usually reach puberty at about 14-16 weeks but larger breeds can mature a bit later.

Good luck with your new friend x

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for the reply.
I wasn't aware of the bringing him indoors during winter would be an issue so I will read up on that and make some decisions.
He's always supervised when outside, I'm paranoid about that so either myself or my boyfriend are there to keep an eye on him.
Thanks again for your advice and I will have a read up x

Hi, thank you for the reply.
I wasn't aware of the bringing him indoors during winter would be an issue so I will read up on that and make some decisions.
He's always supervised when outside, I'm paranoid about that so either myself or my boyfriend are there to keep an eye on him.
Thanks again for your advice and I will have a read up x

:D

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

How lovely you have a baby Frenchie :love:

You are right to think of extending the accommodation, as rabbits needs lots of space to hop around in, and he will certainly grow into a big rabbit.

For neutering there's some advice here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Your vet may want to wait a little longer than usual to neuter him, with him being a larger breed of bunny. But 5/6 months should be fine :)

He will need two vaccinations nowadays - the one he's probably already had (novibac/myxo) and also a second one after a couple of weeks for RHD2. There's lots of info on that here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-3rd-Sept-2017

(It's a long thread - start at the end and work backwards!)

Your vet may not have it in stock, so it might be a good idea to make sure it's available, as there seems to be an RHD2 epidemic at the moment:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...bit-haemorrhagic-disease/how-to-order-vaccine

The novibac he's had will protect against VHD1 but not VHD2

I would also suggest - in the long run - that you consider getting him a companion. Rabbits are very social animals, and it will also give him somebun to cuddle up to on those long winter nights :D

316b230c2525d04f3725977b451050f2.jpg
12ce1994094f52ed1c7f840e4ebb7e41.jpg

This is my boy [emoji4]

Oh wow how adorable is he❤😘 I k ow you say he had his vaccination but have you asked vets to get filavac in or if they have it for the new strain rhd2 it can be given 2 weeks after nobivac

Back