• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When is it the right time to say goodbye :( - U/D Good bye Mr Pickle

Compass

Warren Scout
One of my rescue rabbits Mr Pickle was recently diagnosed with several tumours attached to his intestine and the decision was made to keep comfortable rather than aggressive surgery which was unlikely to benefit him. Initially when we took him in he was quite lively still and would occasionally need pain relief to perk him up. He is now on regular pain relief and we've noticed a deterioration in him over the past few weeks. We only expected him to live a couple of days as the vet reported the x-ray and ultrasound showed a significant accumulation of fluid around his peritoneal cavities. She advised regular metacam and metachlopramide and said we would know when the time was right to say goodbye. She said his breathing may become more laboured and to keep an eye out for this.

So the trip to the vets was almost 3 weeks ago and he's not showing any breathing problems but we are noticing he's far less active and often sits in the sun stretching his belly out. He looks uncomfortable and initially I didn't think he was in pain but now i'm not so sure. He is struggling to pass poops and so passes very small poops and does little wees all the time. As a result he is kind of incontinent. We've been grooming him and washing him gently with wet wipes to stop him smelling like an old peoples home (he doesn't mind me having a joke about it ;) ). He is still eating but in the past couple of days he's eating a little less. He loves dandelions and basil but has gone off his parsley and carrot initially we were giving him more carrot as we had always restricted this but as he was palliative the vet agreed to give him whatever he likes. His partner Biscuit is trying to comfort him and he's currently nudging her to get her to groom him. He is such a sweetie he even takes his meds straight from the syringe tip and licks them as I push the syringe.

I don't know what to do, I haven't seen him binky for weeks but then he still wants to eat. He's not grinding his teeth or having trouble breathing but then at the same time I'm not sure whether he is really enjoying life anymore. His partner biscuit is also more quiet and eating less as she always copies him, although she is eating plenty of hay.

When is it the right time? or perhaps there isn't aright time. I was hoping he'd pass away in his sleep peacefully but sadly I know those occurrences are few and far between :(:(

Last edited:
One of my rescue rabbits Mr Pickle was recently diagnosed with several tumours attached to his intestine and the decision was made to keep comfortable rather than aggressive surgery which was unlikely to benefit him. Initially when we took him in he was quite lively still and would occasionally need pain relief to perk him up. He is now on regular pain relief and we've noticed a deterioration in him over the past few weeks. We only expected him to live a couple of days as the vet reported the x-ray and ultrasound showed a significant accumulation of fluid around his peritoneal cavities. She advised regular metacam and metachlopramide and said we would know when the time was right to say goodbye. She said his breathing may become more laboured and to keep an eye out for this.

So the trip to the vets was almost 3 weeks ago and he's not showing any breathing problems but we are noticing he's far less active and often sits in the sun stretching his belly out. He looks uncomfortable and initially I didn't think he was in pain but now i'm not so sure. He is struggling to pass poops and so passes very small poops and does little wees all the time. As a result he is kind of incontinent. We've been grooming him and washing him gently with wet wipes to stop him smelling like an old peoples home (he doesn't mind me having a joke about it ;) ). He is still eating but in the past couple of days he's eating a little less. He loves dandelions and basil but has gone off his parsley and carrot initially we were giving him more carrot as we had always restricted this but as he was palliative the vet agreed to give him whatever he likes. His partner Biscuit is trying to comfort him and he's currently nudging her to get her to groom him. He is such a sweetie he even takes his meds straight from the syringe tip and licks them as I push the syringe.

I don't know what to do, I haven't seen him binky for weeks but then he still wants to eat. He's not grinding his teeth or having trouble breathing but then at the same time I'm not sure whether he is really enjoying life anymore. His partner biscuit is also more quiet and eating less as she always copies him, although she is eating plenty of hay.

When is it the right time? or perhaps there isn't aright time. I was hoping he'd pass away in his sleep peacefully but sadly I know those occurrences are few and far between :(:(

I am sorry to hear that Mr Pickle is not doing so well now. It is not really possible for an 'outsider' to say when is the 'right time' to say goodbye. One has to actually know the individual Rabbit.

Maybe having a read of this may help a bit

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/quality-of-life.html

Agree with what Jane has said. Without knowing the individual bun it's difficult to say when the right time is.

Often, when people ask it's because they feel it is the time but want reassurance they're doing the right thing.
Personally I feel you can see it in their eyes when they've had enough, they seem to lose that little spark that is there.

I hope you're able to decide when the time is right. The forum will be here to help support you whenever that time shall be.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Compass, I am so sorry to hear this :(

It's such a difficult thing.

I've found these articles to be helpful:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/quality-of-life.html

http://rabbit.org/end-of-life/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?270142-Quality-of-Life

If you need a shoulder, or a listening ear, please feel free to PM. I have been there more often that I would like xx

Thank you for your replies and the articles which are really helpful. I think you are right at times I feel it may be the right time but then he goes and does something which makes me feel otherwise and i'm just not sure and am looking for reassurance. I just went for a walk and brought back lots of dandelion leaves and crab apple leaves and he looked very quiet in the corner of his run until I opened the door and then straight away he comes running out at me and the clambers into the bag munching away! he seems to be up and down and i just feel it's so difficult to make that decision. We were going to see how he goes tomorrow and then take it from there. It would be much simpler if the decision was made for us but then life would be too easy :(.

I get so attached to these fluff balls, they just have so much character it's heartbreaking when they go :cry: It's nice to know i'm not the only one who feels this way. Luckily my husbands pretty fond of them too so he totally understands and we can make the decision together.

xx

I feel so sorry for you Compass. It's a horrible situation to be in.

Does his good days outweigh his bad days at the moment?

I feel so sorry for you Compass. It's a horrible situation to be in.

Does his good days outweigh his bad days at the moment?

At the moment I think the good days outweigh the bad days. He tends to seem happier and livelier when the sun is shining but no longer binkying. He does however still seem excited by foods and is grooming himself although he needs a little help. He will find the sunniest spot in the garden and lay there all day whereas he used to sleep in the top box in the day. It's really tough especially when he seems to perk up at the sight of dandelions and basil! He sniffs out the syringes and takes his meds so willingly it's very unusual. It really is so difficult but perhaps I'll know for sure if there is a right time...

At the moment I think the good days outweigh the bad days. He tends to seem happier and livelier when the sun is shining but no longer binkying. He does however still seem excited by foods and is grooming himself although he needs a little help. He will find the sunniest spot in the garden and lay there all day whereas he used to sleep in the top box in the day. It's really tough especially when he seems to perk up at the sight of dandelions and basil! He sniffs out the syringes and takes his meds so willingly it's very unusual. It really is so difficult but perhaps I'll know for sure if there is a right time...

Oh gosh I so know this :(

I seem to be able to make a bunny comfortable forever and they never seem like they are going to leave.

Sometimes there's a tipping point.
Something will happen and then beyond a shadow of a doubt you'll know the right time has arrived.

I hope it becomes really clear to you, and in the meantime try to take each day and hour at a time. He's happy and rejoice in his extended time with you :D

When is it the right time to say goodbye :( - Goodbye Mr Pickle

I just thought I would update you all to say that we made the decision today to put Mr Pickle to sleep. He wasn't eating much at all and hadn't moved from his top box all day. He had a look about him that signalled he was ready to go. We took him to the vet with his girl Biscuit to say goodbye :cry:We then said our goodbyes and then the vet took him as he said he preferred to give him a GA first as he reported getting the veins can sometimes be difficult. I'm pretty sure Mr Pickle would agree it was the right thing to do :cry:

He's left a big hole in our hearts :cry:

I just thought I would update you all to say that we made the decision today to put Mr Pickle to sleep. He wasn't eating much at all and hadn't moved from his top box all day. He had a look about him that signalled he was ready to go. We took him to the vet with his girl Biscuit to say goodbye :cry:We then said our goodbyes and then the vet took him as he said he preferred to give him a GA first as he reported getting the veins can sometimes be difficult. I'm pretty sure Mr Pickle would agree it was the right thing to do :cry:

He's left a big hole in our hearts :cry:

I am so sorry to hear this. You made the right decision xx

I'm sorry for your loss, but I am glad you found the right time for him.

Binky free Mr Pickle.
Lots of supporting vibes being sent your way x

I'm very sorry for your loss. Having been treating a couple of my buns with palliative care, I can certainly understand the anguish in making that decision. I don't believe in the statement of 'you'll know when is right' because there's the nature of 'what ifs'. However, in making that dreaded decision, you have given him dignity in death, and that's all we can hope for. There's no real right or wrongs, only an informed decision. I hope your Biscuit is also coping okay with her loss. And you too, of course.

Binky free, Mr. Pickle.

I'm sorry it was time for him to go, but how wonderful that he had a carer who loved him so much that you made the brave and selfless decision when the time came.
Binky free lovely rabbit, hugs for you and your family xx

Back