• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've Rescued a Bunny

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and hope that this is the right place to make this post. I'm a general animal lover who is particularly fond of cats, and have never really considered getting a rabbit before, as lovely as they are.

However some months ago I became painfully aware of a rabbit being neglected...(have edited this information down to this simple explanation because the details are quite personal)

His current situation is that he's living in a medium sized hutch (not painfully tiny but no where near big enough) with no access to an outdoor run. That's all he has. I was first made aware of his neglect when the owners went on holiday for three days to another part of the country and didn't get anyone to check on him! When I went outside to see him he was living in his own poo which I had to take out with a garden shovel, there was so much of it. Which I was completely appalled at, believe me, I just cried and cried for him.

Anyway, we've been doing everything we can to get that bunny out of there, and exercise him in the garden when we visit, feed him well and give him lots of attention. He was extremely skittish at first but over the past few months has become much friendlier, and whilst his situation is far from perfect, we've made it as comfortable as possible for him in the meantime. Next week we're FINALLY getting him out of there for good, which makes me so relieved because I just want him to know that he can live a happy life.

So I'd like to tell you lovely bunny owners on here about our plans for his setup, and would love to hear any advice/suggestions if you have them. My bf and I have just bought our first house, with a huge garden, and we have a 8x10ft greenhouse frame that we're going to turn into a walk in run with grass to nibble on, toys to play with and tunnels to hide in. A 6ft hutch is going to be attached to this which they can access 24/7. It is a work in progress but will be extremely secure so no cats can get in and the buns can't dig out/foxes can't dig in.

I say they because we're rescuing a girl around his age (5 years old) and we plan to bond them once they're neutered, which will be asap. I know that our boy is desperate for companionship and I'm sure it will turn his life around. Please can I ask, is there a period of time you should leave them to recover from the operation before bonding?

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated. The welfare of these rabbits is 100% my priority and I'm going to do everything I can to make their lives wonderful.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :wave:

I have deliberately not quoted your post in my reply, as Rabbit Chat is an area of the Forum that can be browsed by non-members. I know you didn't like posting all that personal information, and if you wish to go back and delete some of it, pease feel free to. I do understand about the need for discretion, and with the best will in the world, we can never be sure who is reading our posts.

That said, I want to extend a very warm welcome to our Forum :love:

You are doing a brilliant thing, though it broke my heart to read about it. You have made so much progress and I really hope this comes to pass as you wish it to, and no obstacles stand in your or the bunny's way :)

So - neutering and bonding rabbits. A male rabbit is fertile for up to 4 weeks post castration, and a female rabbit will need a couple of weeks on her own to recover. Ideally you could get them done at the same time, and then think about the bonding - though I would allow around 4/6 weeks for the male's hormones to settle down in order that he doesn't pester the female witless, if that's possible!

If you need any ideas on housing, you could look here:

http://www.therabbithouse.com

There's also info on behaviour and diet which is very useful :)

Ideas on housing here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?58-Housing

And info on neutering etc:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

The RWAF is a mine of information :D

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing photos of these soon to be very happy bunnies :D

Good luck with your rescue :) It sounds like you're doing just fine already - the accommodation sounds good, and if you're worrying and wanting to be good, you're already better than most :D

When it comes to neuter/post-neuter/bonding, do ask lots of questions - everyone here really helped me through mine, there's some brilliant people who will support you - even if you just need a "Yeah, they do that, annoying animals!" for your own sanity.

Hello MightyMax, thank you so much for your kind response. I've edited the information so that it's less personal to be on the safe side.

Thank you for the information on neutering/spaying, that's really good to know. Our plan is to take them to the vet at the same time so that would work out well. The hutch I've bought is very big, tall enough for them to stand up on their hind legs and hop about. The boy rabbit will take residence in there to finally get him out of the dank hutch he's in now, and I have another one on standby which is a bit smaller for his future lady friend, but it's only temporary and she'll be let out in the run every day.

I'll share photos of the build of the walk in run on here at some point :)

Hello MightyMax, thank you so much for your kind response. I've edited the information so that it's less personal to be on the safe side.

Thank you for the information on neutering/spaying, that's really good to know. Our plan is to take them to the vet at the same time so that would work out well. The hutch I've bought is very big, tall enough for them to stand up on their hind legs and hop about. The boy rabbit will take residence in there to finally get him out of the dank hutch he's in now, and I have another one on standby which is a bit smaller for his future lady friend, but it's only temporary and she'll be let out in the run every day.

I'll share photos of the build of the walk in run on here at some point :)

:wave:

Your set-up sounds great, and we are glad to have you here :D

As Monty'sHuman says, we will walk with you and support.

If you need help posting photos, here's some info that might assist:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tos-directly-from-facebook-or-another-website

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Photobucket isn't working, so you may have to register with Imgur or another photo-hosting site :)

Thank you very much Monty's Human! I've got to know this rabbit really well, love him a lot, and look forward to giving him all the care and attention he needs full time, along with his new lady friend (who he is yet to meet but I feel sure that he's going to love her) :)

Welcome to the forum.
You've already had lots of great info & I also applaud you for what you're doing.
Any help/advice needed just call.
I can offer bonding support if you'd like someone there with you in person, just to add an extra "you're doing fine" ;) x Bonding rabbits is the most stressful thing I think anyone could ever do.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome :)

Thank you for saving this bunny. It certainly sounds like he has landed on his feet with you!

Hopefully we will get to see him soon :love:

Xxx

Well done you for coming to this little ones rescue. You will never be without help or advice on this forum. He's a lucky bun to have you on his side. Good luck !

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

It's amazing what you are doing, good luck with everything! We've taken on a few neglected buns and they are all wonderful and have come on great x

No advice to share, but I'm so pleased that you have rescued this little chap and are working so hard to make the rest of his life wonderful.

Lovely to hear of another bunny being rescued from neglect. We've just taken on an 8 year old, but it would seem her situation wasn't nearly as bad as your rescue bunny, as she had a good sized hutch and sheltered area, as well as a good sized run, to which she had access 24/7. So even though very little was being done for her, she had plenty of room to exercise, constant access to lots of grass, and definite toilet areas away from her sleeping quarters, so she was able to keep herself very clean. Good luck with your new bunny! I'll be very interested to hear how the bonding goes as I am hoping to get our little girl, Caramel, bonded with a neutered boy at some point. Look forward to hearing more about your little rescued lad and how he enjoys his fabulous new life :)

Lovely to hear of another bunny being rescued from neglect. We've just taken on an 8 year old, but it would seem her situation wasn't nearly as bad as your rescue bunny, as she had a good sized hutch and sheltered area, as well as a good sized run, to which she had access 24/7. So even though very little was being done for her, she had plenty of room to exercise, constant access to lots of grass, and definite toilet areas away from her sleeping quarters, so she was able to keep herself very clean. Good luck with your new bunny! I'll be very interested to hear how the bonding goes as I am hoping to get our little girl, Caramel, bonded with a neutered boy at some point. Look forward to hearing more about your little rescued lad and how he enjoys his fabulous new life :)

Your Caramel seems to move well :) A rabbit kept in neglect (I've taken on hundreds of R.S.P.C.A. cruelty cases) kept in a small hutch without room for manoeuvre will likely suffer early arthritis or spinal deformity.

She is lucky now she has you to complete her happiness x

Your Caramel seems to move well :) A rabbit kept in neglect (I've taken on hundreds of R.S.P.C.A. cruelty cases) kept in a small hutch without room for manoeuvre will likely suffer early arthritis or spinal deformity.

She is lucky now she has you to complete her happiness x

I just hope to goodness I do everthying right for her :/ I go and check on her so often lol, I think she's getting fed up with me! Earlier today she was having a lovely relaxed slump in the sunshine, but when I first saw her like that I panicked and thought something awful had happened, she kind of stretched, yawned and pulled a face that said, "oh good grief, not her again, can't an old bun relax in peace" lol. I was happy though to see her sit up and look alert again ... note to self ... stop worrying!

I just hope to goodness I do everthying right for her :/ I go and check on her so often lol, I think she's getting fed up with me! Earlier today she was having a lovely relaxed slump in the sunshine, but when I first saw her like that I panicked and thought something awful had happened, she kind of stretched, yawned and pulled a face that said, "oh good grief, not her again, can't an old bun relax in peace" lol. I was happy though to see her sit up and look alert again ... note to self ... stop worrying!

But also from her point of view, it must be nice to have a face to come look at her :)

Friendly vibes are always welcome :D

Thank you everyone for your kind kind words! It's so lovely to know that there's a community of like-minded rabbit lovers just a click away to offer advice and send good vibes.

Natalie, I feel like we're in the same boat here and really respect you taking on Caramel like that. Best of luck with your new bun!

An update from my end - we're picking up my boy's future companion tomorrow. I really don't know much about her other than that she is four years old and currently living in a flat. We have a very large brand new hutch set up all ready for her, but obviously inside to outside is a transition. I'm not sure what her set up is like at the moment (I'm taking her from a girl who isn't allowed pets in her new flat) but what I have set up is the hutch lined with sawdust and a seperate bedding area filled with straw. She will have a hay feeder always filled up, a bowl for pellets and fresh veg plus a water bottle/bowl (was reading today that bowls are way nicer for them to drink from?)

How do I make her feel comfortable/at home/not scared? The long term plan is obviously getting the 8x10 walk in run/hutch combo up (to happen across the next two weeks), and get them both neutered/spayed asap so they can be bonded at a later date.

I'm lying awake worrying about this and hoping that everything goes smoothly! I'm going to start a seperate thread soon with progress photos of our custom run in progress if anyone is interested :)

I can't offer any advice because I'm just as new to looking after bunnies as you are, but I do wish you the very best of luck getting your two bunnies settled and happy :thumb: I will look forward to the progress photos :)

The only thing I'm not sure of is the sawdust, but you'll need to hear from a much more experienced bunny person than me. Many years ago when our own children were little, (they're all in their 20's now) we used wood chip/sawdust and hay for our guinea pigs, it was very standard back then. But I'm finding out now that sawdust for small pets is not so good because of the dust element, it's not good for their lungs. As far as I've learned it's even desirable to get hay with as little dust as possible. I'm using Carefresh Natural - very absorbent, and Timothy Hay from The Timothy Hay Company, but this is all new to me too, so I'm sure someone with a lot more experience and knowledge will come on soon to give you more and better information.

Thank you everyone for your kind kind words! It's so lovely to know that there's a community of like-minded rabbit lovers just a click away to offer advice and send good vibes.

Natalie, I feel like we're in the same boat here and really respect you taking on Caramel like that. Best of luck with your new bun!

An update from my end - we're picking up my boy's future companion tomorrow. I really don't know much about her other than that she is four years old and currently living in a flat. We have a very large brand new hutch set up all ready for her, but obviously inside to outside is a transition. I'm not sure what her set up is like at the moment (I'm taking her from a girl who isn't allowed pets in her new flat) but what I have set up is the hutch lined with sawdust and a seperate bedding area filled with straw. She will have a hay feeder always filled up, a bowl for pellets and fresh veg plus a water bottle/bowl (was reading today that bowls are way nicer for them to drink from?)

How do I make her feel comfortable/at home/not scared? The long term plan is obviously getting the 8x10 walk in run/hutch combo up (to happen across the next two weeks), and get them both neutered/spayed asap so they can be bonded at a later date.

I'm lying awake worrying about this and hoping that everything goes smoothly! I'm going to start a seperate thread soon with progress photos of our custom run in progress if anyone is interested :)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm very pleased that this rabbit is now in your care and that you are getting a partner for him. We would all love to see photos when you are ready, as well as hearing all about him and how you and they are getting on. Similarly, it would be wonderful to hear progress of your plans for their accommodation. Caring for rabbits is really not so simple at the outset, as there seems so much to consider. However, please just ask if you want any advice or information however insignificant or daft it may seem :)

Regarding sawdust, yes I'm afraid that Natalie is correct, it isn't recommended because of respiratory issues. A variety of different types of hay is preferable, which I use for feeding, bedding and in litter trays. A product like Carefresh is also perfectly fine as a base in litter trays. Straw is also OK for warmth. You are correct in thinking that water in a bowl is usually preferable for rabbits :)

I hope that it all goes well today, picking up your new doe. I think that she will feel most secure if she is left to get used to her new surroundings for a little while and kept quiet, obviously checking that she is eating, drinking and pooing OK. Try to keep her on the same food as she is used to for a while, making any changes very gradually so as not to stress her digestive system.

Let us know how you get on :) What are the rabbits' names?

Back