• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pips fur pulling - update

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hey.

Pip has continued pulling her fur out all weekend including the new fur that was growing back. I feel like it's getting worse because it now seems to be occurring more frequently. I'm sure she's pulling a little bit every day rather than once every 5 weeks.

It's also spread around the sides of her neck. :-(

I'm worried about her being in pain and that she's hiding it from us. (Although she's acting normally and hasn't had any gas/stasis yet)

The vets phoning me tomorrow to give me a quote for a urine test added onto her blood test. I am thinking that we're just going to have to use a magic credit card and get all the tests done.

I'm hoping they find something, but scared that it could be something nasty.

On a side note I think her urine is dark brown when it comes out. Is this normal?

Mightymax did you get your urine test back for your bun?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hey.

Pip has continued pulling her fur out all weekend including the new fur that was growing back. I feel like it's getting worse because it now seems to be occurring more frequently. I'm sure she's pulling a little bit every day rather than once every 5 weeks.

I'm worried about her being in pain and that she's hiding it from us. (Although she's acting normally and hasn't had any gas/stasis yet)

The vets phoning me tomorrow to give me a quote for a urine test added onto her blood test. I am thinking that we're just going to have to use a magic credit card and get all the tests done.

On a side note I think her urine is dark brown when it comes out. Is this normal?

The colour of Rabbit wee can vary greatly, dark orange wee often being due to plant pigments within the Rabbit's diet. Although it can also occur due to infection or dehydration.

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

http://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/pe...ts/Otherpets/24_290527.shtml?no_redirect=true

I am sorry to hear that Pip's fur pulling appears to be getting worse. I do think it would be a good idea to get the Urinalysis done if at all possible. Maybe your Vet would agree to you setting up a payment plan where-by you pay an agreed weekly/monthly amount rather than having to pay for everything 'up front'. Even if it were to just be on this occasion for the diagnostics ? You have nothing to loose by asking anyway.

I really hope that you can get to the bottom of the problem xx

Hey.

Mightymax did you get your urine test back for your bun?

Hi there :wave:

I'm so sorry to hear this. You must be fairly at your wit's end to say nothing of your bank balance.

What did the vet say the blood test might show up? What's he looking for?

I think in answer to Pip's fur pulling, I've given all my ideas in past posts. I've had this with my rabbit and I knocked it on the head in the end, but not without a fair struggle.

A urine test, done in the surgery, for simple infection should really not be expensive at all. A blood test is far more so.

Dark brown can be normal, but it can also indicate blood and infection in the urine. A first step would be a urine test and then as Nickybunny has suggested, an X-ray to determine if there's sludge. But first see whether there's infection and treat accordingly :thumb:

Yes I did get the test back. Due to the situation being a complicated one, I'm sorry I can't report back on a public Forum.

Hi to you both.

The quote has come in at £190 for blood and a urine test. I am going to phone tomorrow and get her booked in for the end of the week when I'm off. I will ask about spreading the cost that's a great idea.

I thought about just doing a urine test but if it doesn't show anything I'd want to get the blood test done. So I might as well do it all in one go which will mean less travelling for the buns and hopefully less stress.

Bank balance and my brain is ready to pop, but I love her so much. I will do anything to help her. (she's currently hopping on my legs and digging me)

I keep missing the vet and getting answer phone messages and don't want to keep bugging them. I guess they are just looking for any abnormalities, I don't think they think it's anything in particular. They have said it is a mystery to them.

I'm glad you sorted your bun with the healx. It's something I will discuss as a next option with the vet depending on the results.

I'm glad you got the test back but understand you can't post it on here.

I'm very greatful for all your help. I'm going to try to stop worrying until we get the results back. Although I do worry when I have to drop them in the vets all day. The house seems empty!

Xx

Hi to you both.

The quote has come in at £190 for blood and a urine test. I am going to phone tomorrow and get her booked in for the end of the week when I'm off. I will ask about spreading the cost that's a great idea.

I thought about just doing a urine test but if it doesn't show anything I'd want to get the blood test done. So I might as well do it all in one go which will mean less travelling for the buns and hopefully less stress.

Bank balance and my brain is ready to pop, but I love her so much. I will do anything to help her. (she's currently hopping on my legs and digging me)

I keep missing the vet and getting answer phone messages and don't want to keep bugging them. I guess they are just looking for any abnormalities, I don't think they think it's anything in particular. They have said it is a mystery to them.

I'm glad you sorted your bun with the healx. It's something I will discuss as a next option with the vet depending on the results.

I'm glad you got the test back but understand you can't post it on here.

I'm very greatful for all your help. I'm going to try to stop worrying until we get the results back. Although I do worry when I have to drop them in the vets all day. The house seems empty!

Xx

Awwww you're welcome :)

I haven't actually used the healx myself.
I must've tried dozens of creams and remedies before I struck the one that actually healed him of his obsessive self destruction!

I hope you get some answers :)

I must've tried dozens of creams and remedies before I struck the one that actually healed him of his obsessive self destruction!

Oh sorry. I must have got confused with someone else's bun. [emoji6]

Hah. I have had a talk with Pip and told her that she's hurting herself but she just doesn't listen to me. She just wants to play tunnels and hop under my legs!

I'll let you know what I find out

Pips booked in for Thursday. She gets to spend the whole day at the vets with Mr Archie so I'll be in serious trouble when they come home.

Fingers crossed we get some answers xx

Pips booked in for Thursday. She gets to spend the whole day at the vets with Mr Archie so I'll be in serious trouble when they come home.

Fingers crossed we get some answers xx

You have my fingers and toes firmly crossed for those two little sweeties.

You've put so much time and effort in, I really hope you get some answers for Pip :)

Do they do the bloods in house, or have to send them away (takes longer)?

You have my fingers and toes firmly crossed for those two little sweeties.

You've put so much time and effort in, I really hope you get some answers for Pip :)

Do they do the bloods in house, or have to send them away (takes longer)?
Thanks Max.

Urine is in house. Bloods are send away.

OH thinks they will all come back clear but I said at least we'll have ruled everything out and we will know it's behavioural then.

Thanks Max.

Urine is in house. Bloods are send away.

OH thinks they will all come back clear but I said at least we'll have ruled everything out and we will know it's behavioural then.

What I did with my Max, as the final test, was take a skin biopsy/sample, and send it for analysis.

Have you covered that base?

I'm not suggesting you should, just wondering ...

What I did with my Max, as the final test, was take a skin biopsy/sample, and send it for analysis.

Have you covered that base?

I'm not suggesting you should, just wondering ...
Oh yes I forgot that did suggest that at one point. I think because it doesn't get sore and see doesn't bother the actual skin they decided to do this first.

Oh yes I forgot that did suggest that at one point. I think because it doesn't get sore and see doesn't bother the actual skin they decided to do this first.

Yes I see :)

It's all expense. I know most of us just can't keep doing test after test xx

Yes I see :)

It's all expense. I know most of us just can't keep doing test after test xx
Yes OH keeps reminding me that I said we should get bunnies and they were easy and cheap to look after. Lol. Whoops.

Doesn't help that we both love them and keep spoiling them!

Back