• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Orange fungi on rabbits outer eye - HELP

my female rabbit bella is 4 years old and lives with a 5 year old male.
As I was feeding them this morning I noticed something on Bellas eye. I picked her up to look closer and I can only describe it as either fungi BOTH eyes - one eye is worse or tiny little orange eggs growing in a little patch on the outer corner of both eyes
I have googled the symptoms and nothing similar is showing.
I tried to clean it with warm water and cotton wool but the 'eggs' or 'fungi' doesn't seem to be coming away
I am phoning the vet tomorrow morning but wondered if anyone has had this problem with their rabbits before?
thanks

As I was feeding them this morning I noticed something on Bellas eye. I picked her up to look closer and I can only describe it as either fungi BOTH eyes - one eye is worse or tiny little orange eggs growing in a little patch on the outer corner of both eyes
I tried to clean it with warm water and cotton wool but the 'eggs' or 'fungi' doesn't seem to be coming away
I am phoning the vet tomorrow morning but wondered if anyone has had this problem with their rabbits before?
thanks

Is it dried discharge from the eyes ? Do her eyes appear to look sore ?

It's difficult to say what it might be without being able to see it. If she were to be scratching her face alot then Chiggers (Harvest Mites) is one possibility. This can effect the corners of the eyes aswell as the ears, anus and feet

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/chiggers.htm

thanks

Hi sophie and welcome to the Forum :wave:

It's really difficult for me to say what might be going on with your rabbit. Do you have a photo?

These links may help you with posting photos:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tos-directly-from-facebook-or-another-website

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Photobucket isn't working, so you may have to register with Imgur or another photo-hosting site :)

Back