• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Savvy Vet Needed in the Shrewsbury/Telford Area

Natalie

Warren Scout
We've recently moved up here to Shropshire from Sussex. We are already signed on with a local vet as we have three rescue dogs. Our new neighbours were caring for a no longer wanted rabbit of their granddaughters, long story short - we adopted her - the rabbit not the granddaughter :lol:

We'd love to find a particularly rabbit savvy vet in our area.

Many thanks - Natalie :)

We've recently moved up here to Shropshire from Sussex. We are already signed on with a local vet as we have three rescue dogs. Our new neighbours were caring for a no longer wanted rabbit of their granddaughters, long story short - we adopted her - the rabbit not the granddaughter :lol:

We'd love to find a particularly rabbit savvy vet in our area.

Many thanks - Natalie :)

Helen Wishart here :

http://www.taylorandmarshallvets.co.uk/

So in the end our local vet was unable to get hold of the RVHD-2 vaccination and they suggested that I ring around other vets. First one I tried was this one suggested here, and BINGO, they have it! So Caramel is booked in for her RVHD-2 vaccination for tomorrow at 11.45. And guess what ... I'm worried! Are there any side effects of this vaccination that I should know about? She sailed through the RVHD/mxyi vaccination on 1st September, it didn't seem to bother her at all. So I'm really hoping that this one goes just as well. Has anyone got any further information on it, especially any nasty side effects.

I'm also wondering whether to stay with these vets for Caramel, I really like our own vets, each vet we've seen there (for Caramel and our doggies) has been very nice, but at the same time I think Caramel might be better looked after at a vets who are that bit more rabbit savvy.

And also, there is now some debate as to whether she was born in 2007 or 2009 :( The information at our vets (where the previous owners took her) has both dates, but they also have that she was spayed in August 2009, so if that is the case she can't have been born in 2009! So she might actually be 10 not 8. I should ring the previous owners really but I know there is a lot going on for them right now and phoning about Caramel might not be very appreciated. I'll have a think about it.

Meanwhile, if anyone can tell me anything about the RVHD-2 vaccination, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks - Natalie :)

So in the end our local vet was unable to get hold of the RVHD-2 vaccination and they suggested that I ring around other vets. First one I tried was this one suggested here, and BINGO, they have it! So Caramel is booked in for her RVHD-2 vaccination for tomorrow at 11.45. And guess what ... I'm worried! Are there any side effects of this vaccination that I should know about? She sailed through the RVHD/mxyi vaccination on 1st September, it didn't seem to bother her at all. So I'm really hoping that this one goes just as well. Has anyone got any further information on it, especially any nasty side effects.

I'm also wondering whether to stay with these vets for Caramel, I really like our own vets, each vet we've seen there (for Caramel and our doggies) has been very nice, but at the same time I think Caramel might be better looked after at a vets who are that bit more rabbit savvy.

And also, there is now some debate as to whether she was born in 2007 or 2009 :( The information at our vets (where the previous owners took her) has both dates, but they also have that she was spayed in August 2009, so if that is the case she can't have been born in 2009! So she might actually be 10 not 8. I should ring the previous owners really but I know there is a lot going on for them right now and phoning about Caramel might not be very appreciated. I'll have a think about it.

Meanwhile, if anyone can tell me anything about the RVHD-2 vaccination, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks - Natalie :)

Here's some info Natalie:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-3rd-Sept-2017

Santa’s thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...RHD2-my-experience-of-symptoms-and-treatments

Frances Harcourt Brown links:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...bit-haemorrhagic-disease/how-to-order-vaccine

http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk/

This is a map showing vets who have the vaccine.

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rvhd2/

From Christabel - my vet's - Blog, 5/2/17

http://www.twickenhamvets.com/update-rhd2-rabbits-first-case-surgery/

Hope something here helps x

This is the data sheet for Filivac, I assume that is the RHD2 Vaccine the Vet you contacted will be using

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

All my Rabbit have received the vaccine and none had any adverse side effects, two of my Rabbits have chronic health problems and another one is elderly (almost 10). I would worry far more about having unvaccinated Rabbits than I would about the (very small) risk of an adverse reaction to the vaccine. And I am absolutely paranoid about all vaccinations !!

The other RHD2 Vaccine available is Eravac, but not many Vets are using that one

https://www.hipra.com/portal/en/hipra/animalhealth/products/detail/eravac

Thanks, I've read a few, got to go feed my doggies now. Will read more later. It's all quite scary! :( Caramel is such an amazing girl, she's so responsive to me already, and if she is 10, my goodness she's still quite bouncy. She wanted to get to me quickly this morning because I came bearing edible gifts lol, so she hopped right over the top of one of the Hop Inn tunnels, RIGHT OVER THE TOP lol, I think she could give Usain Bolt a good run for his money ROFL.

Thanks, I've read a few, got to go feed my doggies now. Will read more later. It's all quite scary! :( Caramel is such an amazing girl, she's so responsive to me already, and if she is 10, my goodness she's still quite bouncy. She wanted to get to me quickly this morning because I came bearing edible gifts lol, so she hopped right over the top of one of the Hop Inn tunnels, RIGHT OVER THE TOP lol, I think she could give Usain Bolt a good run for his money ROFL.

Don't be scared by this :)

I had a *long* chat with my vet about this a few days ago, and if you need reassurance, please PM me :)

This is the data sheet for Filivac, I assume that is the RHD2 Vaccine the Vet you contacted will be using

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

All my Rabbit have received the vaccine and none had any adverse side effects, two of my Rabbits have chronic health problems and another one is elderly (almost 10). I would worry far more about having unvaccinated Rabbits than I would about the (very small) risk of an adverse reaction to the vaccine. And I am absolutely paranoid about all vaccinations !!

The other RHD2 Vaccine available is Eravac, but not many Vets are using that one

https://www.hipra.com/portal/en/hipra/animalhealth/products/detail/eravac

Thanks. Ooo some rather technical stuff there, but yes, I'll be going ahead with her vaccination and we can talk everything through with the vet tomorrow. I always feel sick about vaccinations. We have four grown up kids and they had all the childhood vaccinations and my hubby had to come with me to all the appointments. ALL of them. :roll:

I think Caramel is going to be so cross with me. She doesn't like going to the vets. And if she seems to be upset, I get upset. Last time we went to the vets (to continue monitoring her eye) I could actually feel her carrier vibrating, I think that was caused by her tensing up with fear :( There was quite a lot going on in the waiting room including several dogs being there. We went and sat in the sectioned off bit of the waiting room as I thought that maybe there it would be a little less stressful for her. Ugh - I really hate medical appointments. But hey ho, it needs to be done.

Thanks. Ooo some rather technical stuff there, but yes, I'll be going ahead with her vaccination and we can talk everything through with the vet tomorrow. I always feel sick about vaccinations. We have four grown up kids and they had all the childhood vaccinations and my hubby had to come with me to all the appointments. ALL of them. :roll:

It's really inadvisable to give the Eravac, as it's use is primarily intended for meat rabbits. If you're at all worried about vaccines, I would certainly steer clear!

Here's what Santa wrote on my thread a while ago concerning Eravac:

It's still only available in multi-dose vials, not least because at present it is only meant to be used for meat rabbits and therefore single dose vials are pretty pointless. It seems that vets are still using the cascade to access filavac and personally this is my preferred option. Previously, the SIC was on the basis that no licenced product exists in the UK, and this is no longer true as eravac is licenced for RHD2. However, a SIC can still be granted using the cascade rules if in the vet's opinion the licenced product is not suitable for the use for which it is needed, and plenty of vets do seem to still be using this.

I'm sure I've said it before but for ease it's probably easier to repeat myself here: eravac does not have a duration of immunity associated with it, hence its use only for meat rabbits - who will only need one vaccination before they are slaughtered for meat. So for pet rabbits it means that we have no idea when we need to have a booster, because that hasn't been established. Also, in one of their two trials, it did not prevent RHD2 infection, it only reduced it. One of the trials gave 100% protection but the other gave 93% (compared to a control group at something like 50% mortality, I can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head), so its data sheet says it is to 'reduce mortality' from RHD2 whereas filavac trials showed 100% protection and therefore their data sheet says it is to 'prevent mortality'. Subtle but very important difference! When added to the single dose vials and the fact that eravac is mineral oil based (thus giving risk of operator injury if self-injected and injection site wounds), it's a no-brainer to me to encourage my vet to still use filavac.

After an initial hiccup when eravac was first licenced, it doesn't seem to have impacted the wholesale supply chain of filavac either, so hopefully we can still get this with relative ease, and hopefully now the issue has gained traction there will be other options available in the UK in the not too distant future!

It's really inadvisable to give the Eravac, as it's use is primarily intended for meat rabbits. If you're at all worried about vaccines, I would certainly steer clear!

Here's what Santa wrote on my thread a while ago concerning Eravac:

It's still only available in multi-dose vials, not least because at present it is only meant to be used for meat rabbits and therefore single dose vials are pretty pointless. It seems that vets are still using the cascade to access filavac and personally this is my preferred option. Previously, the SIC was on the basis that no licenced product exists in the UK, and this is no longer true as eravac is licenced for RHD2. However, a SIC can still be granted using the cascade rules if in the vet's opinion the licenced product is not suitable for the use for which it is needed, and plenty of vets do seem to still be using this.

I'm sure I've said it before but for ease it's probably easier to repeat myself here: eravac does not have a duration of immunity associated with it, hence its use only for meat rabbits - who will only need one vaccination before they are slaughtered for meat. So for pet rabbits it means that we have no idea when we need to have a booster, because that hasn't been established. Also, in one of their two trials, it did not prevent RHD2 infection, it only reduced it. One of the trials gave 100% protection but the other gave 93% (compared to a control group at something like 50% mortality, I can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head), so its data sheet says it is to 'reduce mortality' from RHD2 whereas filavac trials showed 100% protection and therefore their data sheet says it is to 'prevent mortality'. Subtle but very important difference! When added to the single dose vials and the fact that eravac is mineral oil based (thus giving risk of operator injury if self-injected and injection site wounds), it's a no-brainer to me to encourage my vet to still use filavac.

After an initial hiccup when eravac was first licenced, it doesn't seem to have impacted the wholesale supply chain of filavac either, so hopefully we can still get this with relative ease, and hopefully now the issue has gained traction there will be other options available in the UK in the not too distant future!

I will check with the vet that it is filivac - I'll phone them up now just to make sure.

Yup, all good, just phoned, it will be the filivac vaccination. I will double check again tomorrow when we're there.

Back