• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet Mistake - Nobivac given twice in two weeks + filavac given

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Just searching for some information for something I've seen on FB.

A lady's vet has given the Nobivac vaccine, two weeks later they returned for Filavac but the vet gave Nobivac by mistake, then the Filavac in the same consult! The vet said "it'll be fine".

Does anyone have any information?

I've advised they call the vets back and ask them to contact manufacturer etc and advised to re-vaccinate Filavac in 6 months to ensure full immunity.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Just searching for some information for something I've seen on FB.

A lady's vet has given the Nobivac vaccine, two weeks later they returned for Filavac but the vet gave Nobivac by mistake, then the Filavac in the same consult! The vet said "it'll be fine".

Does anyone have any information?

I've advised they call the vets back and ask them to contact manufacturer etc and advised to re-vaccinate Filavac in 6 months to ensure full immunity.

This, taken from Frances Harcourt Brown, where she says it's not harmful to give them both together. I think your point about re-vaccination is valid, as it's unknown whether the Filavac would have 'taken' effectively.

Can Nobivac Myxo/RHD and Filavac be given together?

The two vaccines work in different ways and have not been tested together. It is possible that they could interfere with each other so one of them is not so protective. Although it is not harmful to give both vaccines together, it is advisable to leave two weeks between vaccinations so the rabbit can respond and develop immunity from the first vaccine before it is given the second.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Thanks MM. Didn't think to check her website. Have checked Data sheets.

Yep, and that little sentence is the source of much (unnecessary) confusion and panic for people!! They only really put it there because it was initially developed for meat rabbits, i.e. rabbits who would probably only have one injection over their lifetime. The same is also true of every dog, cat, horse etc vaccine really, because they're all developed in laboratories with guaranteed disease-free animals. But it does make a lot of people fret!!

Thanks for your reply to the lady over on the group daphnephoebe, hopefully she'll take on board your advice. Hopefully it will be ok, but I can understand why she is panicked!

Back