• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLLLLLLLLLLP!!!

bunnyhuggger

Warren Veteran
Took in a boarding bun, Patch, on Sunday, as requested I started clipping him, he's a very long haired lop (possibly an angora cross or a cashmere lop) and he's got tight mats. That's not the problem, he's quite patient and will sit nice, however I spotted a FLEA burrowing back into one of the mats!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!! None of my other buns have fleas, I checked them all tonight (as I panicked! :oops: ). I can't get all the mats off immediately as they are so close to the skin. I will phone the vet tomorrow but what else should I do? Never had a flea case before and I'm worried now.

What will I clean the bun house out with? It's got brand new carpet tiles in, but not fixed down. It's one of the wooden wendy house type thingys.

Something like Nuvan Staykill or Acclaim for the floors & housing... these can be bought off the shelves in chemists, and work by disrupting the flea's lifecycle. They remain effective for several months. You can do the whole house with one can... probably a good precaution at the moment with the myxi scare.

If you have dog/s or cat/s do them with vet flea control as well.... the last thing you need is them bringing home fleas infected with myxi... :(

Keep this one in quarantine for a while... until you know more, you might want to assume the fleas carry myxi to be on the safe side.... fingers crossed...

Pendragon said:
Something like Nuvan Staykill or Acclaim for the floors & housing... these can be bought off the shelves in chemists, and work by disrupting the flea's lifecycle. They remain effective for several months. You can do the whole house with one can... probably a good precaution at the moment with the myxi scare.

How soon after treating the bun house with any of these can I put Patch back in again?

Pendragon said:
If you have dog/s or cat/s do them with vet flea control as well.... the last thing you need is them bringing home fleas infected with myxi... :(

Dog was done a couple of weeks ago as a matter of routine (he's a guide dog and this is done regularly). 9 local cats come into the garden on a regular basis, but they're not ours so there's nothing I can do about them unfortunately.

Pendragon said:
Keep this one in quarantine for a while... until you know more, you might want to assume the fleas carry myxi to be on the safe side.... fingers crossed

That's why I'm panicking! I just about died when I saw it. Patch has had all his injections so hopefully he'll be fine too.

Thanks

bunnyhuggger said:
Pendragon said:

How soon after treating the bun house with any of these can I put Patch back in again?

Not sure... it's been a few years since I last used it (when I had my cats)... a matter of hours I think, it'll say on the can. It's not dangerous to animals, it's a special hormone which stops flea eggs hatching out.

It works really well... enough in the can to do all your house (they say average 3 bedroom) as well as animal quarters but do follow the directions. You might even find out by looking online if you Google it!

Hope this helps :)

Hi

I have always used staykill from vets (it is pricey but u do get a big can). Its a household spray but make sure you and all animals are not in the area that you have sprayed for a couple of hours afterwards because the fumes/smell is terrible (i think the instructions also state this)

You might want to invest in some sting and bite cream for your self from the chemist :lol: :lol:

Yo Bunnyhugger - So sorry to hear of your possible Flea Invasion - no laughing matter I know as you'll be worried about your other bunns but I thought some of the ditty's that follow might just raise a smile in a difficult time for you! - and was it a case of "BUY ONE BUNNY - GET ONE FLEA :!: :!:

flean.gif

biting.gif

biting.gif

biting.gif

FLEA JOKES TO CHEER UP BUNNYHUGGER IN HER HOUR OF NEED

1. What do you call a russian flea - --- A MOSCOW-ITO

2. Two fleas were running across the top of a cereal packet? -
why are we running so fast the one flea says??? - because it says
"tear along the dotted Line" answers his pal.

What do you get if you cross a rabbit with a flea?? - BUGS BUNNY

4. How do you find where a flea has bitten you!! - start from Scratch!!

:lol: :lol: - Sorry about the Bugs Bunny one - just couldn't resist it - really hope this cheers you up a little and you get those darned pesky fleas sorted Lynda and your other bunnies are o.k

Lany, you're terrible :roll: :lol: and so are these jokes!!!!

What an afternoon I've had. Got an emergency appointment to get Snowball the housebun her myxo jab, and Mojo and Grace's 6month booster, that's all the buns done now. Appointment was for 4.10pm and got there with 10 mins to spare, 40 min drive (for a change, usually late due to roadworks no matter how early I start off) only to find I was at the wrong branch!!!!! Then my darling other half proceeded to publicly humiliate me by calling me a bloody numpty :oops: (take what he got for that when we got back into the car!), stress levels soaring, 10mins to drive all the way back again to the other surgery which I passed on the way!!!!! Needless to say I was late again :roll: Lucky Patricia understands! Got flea drops for all the buns and spray for the hutches/house.

Snowball insisted on sitting in her carrier with the top open (on Jim's knee) alternatively looking out the windscreen and looking at me, proper 'ickle miss navigator'

Mojo and Grace turned into velcro buns on the vet table, the only time they want cuddles.

My laptop puter is sick and has been sent away, I've lost all my favourite links, my smileys, my emails :roll:

Ah well....................

Nope, not until at least Sunday! Starsky is going to get all his incisors out tomorrow and now has two weepy eyes needing drops. He's still to get his flea drops as well AND he'll need his sockets flushed to keep them clean. Hutch needs eye drops in one eye and his flea drops and is the bitiest scratchiest bun I have ever met! Jim has the most attractive piercing on his hand, I think it would look rather attractive with a piece of jewellery in it :lol: , and now Jim decides he needs to go to Glasgow for the weekend :roll: Bunny burritos needed methinks! Then next week Shadey goes in for her spay and a head xray to find out whats happening with her teeth and weepy eye.

I think I need a rub down with the radio times, a couple of valiums and a darkened room!

bunnyhuggger said:
Lany, you're terrible :roll: :lol: and so are these jokes!!!! Then my darling other half proceeded to publicly humiliate me by calling me a bloody numpty :oops: /quote]

Awwwwwwwwwww Linydy - what a day you've had - jokies from Lany only intended to cheer you Gal - but sounds like you've had the day from el!! - really was aware of what a worry this would be to you - I know how I feel when there is even the chance of a Mozi around let alone Flea's - what little bliter bugs they are - hope everythings o.k -

Really missing your smiley's etc - your such a whizz on here!!

Bunny hugs for you - Keep your chin up gal - by the way - oY - Scottish Woman - whats a NUMPTY!! :?: :?: :?: :?: - hAVE i LEAD A SHELTERED LIFE OR WHAT :!: :!:

yeah I know Lany and thanks!

My laptop puter is sick and away to the puter doc for at least a week, I now have no smileys, no emails, no favourite links............... and the puter I got as a temp measure is loud enought to compete with the hoover!!!! Well maybe not quite but it is noisy :lol:

I really don't know why God invented fleas! I must have a word when I go to bed tonight.

Oh and a numpty is a well used Scottish word for an idiot! and I'm sure you have a wealth of coloquial names and terms in your area too, come on then, give us a few examples, that would cheer me up!

I know how your feeling lynda! id never had fleas in the house untill i bought mildred my staffie pup she didnt have many on her but it was horrible,im sure thats how william got mixi. :cry:

bunnyhuggger said:
yeah I know Lany and thanks!
Oh and a numpty is a well used Scottish word for an idiot! and I'm sure you have a wealth of coloquial names and terms in your area too, come on then, give us a few examples, that would cheer me up!

Hiya Lindy -- How's it going today - any easier - really did feel for you yesterday - there seems to have been so much Myxi around this year I think were all on tender hooks everytime we see any of these darned bugs around and with good reason eh!!

OK - HERE GOES - SOME BRUMMY "NUMPTY" TERMS TO CHEER UP LINDY AS FOLLOWS -

"PLONKER" - this is also used extensively in London but also global and I've been referred as one on many occassion by both my hubby, friends and family - nice eh :lol: :lol:

"WALLY" - Similar to a Plonker really but maybe sometimes thought to be a little slower than a "Plonker" on the
uptake of things - if you get my drift :!:

"NURDY"
These are a slightly different breed and almost a bit over Tecky!! - can be likened to a "Train Spotter with long Mac" carrying a laptop under arm
PS - No offence intended to any Train Spotters out there!!!!!

"CRANK"
These are definately a "Sandwich short of a Picknik" and off the wall - probably a mixture of a Wally and Plonker combined :lol: :lol:

Glad to say - you definately don't fall into any of these!!! - YOUR DEFINATELY ONE ON YOUR OWN GAL - AND A GREAT ONE TOO!!!

Fingers and paws crossed that alls o.k for you today!!

Buffs and Cagney send a Hug to cheer u up!!

Ach Lany, I'm sure there must be some more imaginative terms than that! You're just not mixing with the right circles! or are they too rude to post :shock:

All buns ok just now. Starsky had his incisors removed today and got a castration into the bargain, poor wee man. Mind you, he's munching away at his pellets and greens tonight and sitting watching the telly with Jim and Sna'ba's sitting casting him admiring glances and fluttering her eyelashes (she's a trollop :oops: )

His lower ones came out whole but the upper ones had caries and broke so I'll have to watch them, also spurs on his back teeth were trimmed. His mouth was a mess and he does have a lumpy lower jaw. Hopefully his eyes will dry up now. His teeth problems were probably a mixture of genetics and poor feeding.

Back