• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with a bite

Noctis

Young Bun
Hey,

I went out today to check on my little noctis and saw he had a medium sized red bite or lump on his nose that wasn't there yesterday, he has been vaccinated for RHD and myxomatosis, he is currently waiting to be vaccinated for RHD 2. Should I be worried about this bite/lump?

Thanks
Owner of Noctis

Hey,

I went out today to check on my little noctis and saw he had a medium sized red bite or lump on his nose that wasn't there yesterday, he has been vaccinated for RHD and myxomatosis, he is currently waiting to be vaccinated for RHD 2. Should I be worried about this bite/lump?

Thanks
Owner of Noctis

Hello

How long ago was the Myxo-RHD Vaccine given ? On very rare occasions a Rabbit can have a reaction to the Vaccine which can present as a 'mild' form of Myxomatosis

''In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent''.

Full details here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Hey,

Thanks
Owner of Noctis

Hi there Noctis and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Does he live with another rabbit?

If not, it could be a reaction to the vaccination. It's quite rare, but has been know to happen.

More info here:

Have you called your vet and told them about it? They may want to check that it's a reaction that will settle down.

Hi,
thank you for the replies,

his Vaccinations were about a week ago now and he doesn't live with other rabbit. if it is the vaccination what does this mean for him, is his life in danger? I am calling the vets in the afternoon, as i'm at work atm and i'm not aloud to make calls till lunch time :cry:

Hi,

his Vaccinations were about a week ago now and he doesn't live with other rabbit. if it is the vaccination what does this mean for him, is his life in danger? I am calling the vets in the afternoon, as i'm at work atm and i'm not aloud to make calls till lunch time :cry:

His life is very unlikely to be in danger. If and it is an 'if' it is a vaccine reaction then the symptomsa are usually mild and fully resolve. I expect your Vet will want to see your Rabbit as it is not possible to diagnose the problem without being able to see it. My suggestion of it being a vaccine reaction was just a possibility, not a certainty.

There are some images I was able get of the lump, but I don't know how to post them up.

Last edited:
thank you

here they are -

21222342_1469214579811971_1130114042_o_zpsnjkleqgu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

21248135_1469214599811969_1742851235_o_zpskgsni0j1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

thank you

here they are -

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

It may be the start of a Myxo nodule, but it really is impossible to say for certain just from a photo. Best wait for the Vet to take a look. I'd take a printout of the vaccine data sheet with you incase the Vet says it cant be a vaccine reaction. Unfortunately some Vets dont seem to read the data sheet in full.

Here's the link to the data sheet that I posted before

Hi,

If it's a reaction to the vaccine, then it's really unlikely that his life will be in danger. Symptoms are usually very mild and transient, so don't worry!

I would see what your vet says, and if possible, take him in for a look :)

I can't add anything to the advice above, but just sending positive vibes for your vet check xx

thank you

here they are -

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

He's a lovely rabbit, and I can see he's a king :love:

The lesion looks to be very mild, and as I said, rare to get a reaction after a vaccination, but not impossible.

If a reaction to the vaccine is confirmed your Vet will need to report it to the manufacturer of the vaccine.

Back