• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried! :(

The Fonz

Warren Scout
Hello!!

I was just looking for some advice... I'm having my bunny spayed on Thursday, but as the day gets ever closer, I'm really beginning to worry about the operation! I have to take her in between 8.30 & 9.00am, and I believe she's allowed home the same day, but I'm so worried because she's so tiny and gets in a bit of a huff when people pick her up! :( Does anyone know how long the operation actually takes? :cry:

I'm sure she will be fine :D But I know how you feel :D

When Tizzy went in, about 9am, I was really worried but they called about lunchtime to tell me that everything went well and she was resting. i picked her up after work about 5ish.

Ask your vet to call as soon as the op is done so you have peice of mind until you collect her.

Good Luck!

whole op takes about 45 mins

they like to monitor pain control and coming out of the anhesthetic (sp).

It is literally drop them off in the early morning for prep, have op, wait to come around, call vet at 2:00ish for update, collect when convenient. Same day!

If you are not queasy, I can post a link with piccies about what happens and what the vet does leading up to and during the surgery. Very graphic but informative.

PM me if you want it.

KR
Andrea

You could alway put a top of yours in with bun which hasn`t been washed. That why bun will settle with a smell she knows:) And be a comfort when recovering and before going in for the op :)

bronie

bunnymad said:
You could alway put a top of yours in with bun which hasn`t been washed. That why bun will settle with a smell she knows:) And be a comfort when recovering and before going in for the op :)

bronie

Yup. I always take one of my shirts or pillowcase to the vet with my buns if they have to stay. Seems to make a difference.

Holly Go-Lightly said:
Yup. I always take one of my shirts or pillowcase to the vet with my buns if they have to stay. Seems to make a difference.

I'd be frightened they'd associate me with the operation and attack me when I collect them. :?

It's natural to worry about the operation, but if your bunny is too small then the vet won't go ahead with the op. Our vet normally phones us around 2pm to let us know our bunny has woken up and all has gone well.

While she's away, it's a good opportunity to get her cage cleaned out and thoroughly disinfected ready for when she gets back.

bunnymad said:
bronie

Hi Bronie

Thats a brill idea - I had never thought of that - I guess even on stressful journeys to the Vets for routine stuff - this might help.

The Fonz ------ I'll keep fingers and paws crossed for your bunny but I'm sure it will go fine. My own bunny Buffy was spayed good while ago now but I remember her little face when I picked her back up from the Vets almost saying ("What did you do that to me for mum!!!) but I knew it was necessary for her.
She was quiet for a day or so and the Vets gave me some good advice which I thought might be useful for you:-

1.Keep her quiet in a smaller space than usual so she's not tempted to try and jump and pull stitches.
2.Watch to ensure that her feeding routine returns and that she's pooping and weeing fine.
3. Check Stitches regularly to ensure not pulled out and no infection.
4. Keep bunny in a warm comformtable area perhaps on a Vetbed or something similar with generally lots of TLC.

One thing I was suprised about was how quickly Buffy's skin healed - the size of the Incision on her tummy was really large but seemed to very quickly heal.

Hope this helps and good luck - keep us posted.

I know how you're feeling, I've got to book Bluebell in for her op in a month or two :( I'm sure your little one will be fine and there always plently of support here too :D thank goodness for all you forum buddy's! :D

Benji had his 'now you see them now you don't' op in May, he was back to normal in a day or two... never forget his little face when I went to pick him up, he was shuffling around in his carrier as much to say 'Well I know they were here when I came in' :lol:

Fingers and paws crossed this end too, I'll be the one in a month or two with exactly the same worry :wink:

Hi The Fonz :wave:
I just wanted to wish you and your bun goodluck for tomorrows operation.
I guess you will be feeling really anxious right now... it's never an easy time for us when pets go in to be operated on for whatever the reason. Even though we know it's in their best interests, we still feel have feelings of worry and guilt! It will soon be my turn to feel like this, when my boys go in to be neutered some time in the non too distant future :?

Anyway let us know how she is tomorrow :)

hi everyone!!

Thanks so much for all your replies and thoughts!! The Fonz is still at the vet, I'm phoning them in about 30 minutes to make sure she's okay and to see what time I can pick her up! The nurse was really reassuring this morning, which made me feel a lot better about the op, but as soon as I left the vet I started crying on my fiance's shoulder!! I felt so guilty!

You could alway put a top of yours in with bun which hasn`t been washed. That why bun will settle with a smell she knows:) And be a comfort when recovering and before going in for the op

She has this fluffy pyramid thing that she absolutely adores! So I put that in her carry case with her, and left it with her at the vet. She loves that pyramid! It has my scent on it, and she's constantly playing with and grooming it, so hopefully that'll make her feel a bit better!

I've had plenty of time to sort her cage out! I disinfected it, and carpeted it (yes, carpeted!!!) and I bought her two new bunny bowls for her food and water. I've taken her 'shelf' out so she can't jump on it and hurt herself, and I've got shredded newspaper/magazines in there for her to wee on until her wound heals. Oh, and I got her a new hay rack, too!! I can't wait to see her again! I'll probably put her bed cushion in there to keep her extra comfy for the next couple of days, too. How long should I wait before I let her out her cage for a good run-around in the living room?

Anyhoo, I'd better go and get ready!! I can't wait to see her!!! I'll let you know how she gets on! Thanks again for all your support! You're all fantastic!!!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Hiya Emma

Awwwwwwww - sounds like your girlie will be back home safe and sound soon and soooooo spoilt with all the treats you have for her.

I think I would leave it a least a couple of days before she has a good run round - the Vets and some of the other good folk may have some more definate time scales for you but with Buffy I think I kept her quiet and still for at least 3/4 days to give the wound time to knit together.

Any thoughts on this one bunny Forum Folk - are there any more definate time scales?

Give your bunster a hug - the worst is over now she just needs loads of TLC and I'm sure she'll recover fine.

Hi Emma,
I hope everything went ok today?
I don't know too much about speying but generally after a major operation, pets tend to be a bit on the quiet side for the rest of the day as the anaesthetic gets out of their system. Also she's going to be a bit tender so I would imagine she'll be less active today and tomorrow at least. I know when my last bun had a big op, it really knocked him about for a few days.
Anyway, I do hope all is well! :)

She's home!!!!!! :)

Hello!!!!!

I'm so happy!! My Fonzie's home, and she's doing great!!! :D When I picked her up from the vet she appeared really lively, but when she got home and we put her in her cage she started to quiten down a bit. She seemed really dopey and needed a bit of help finding her water, but I guess that's to be expected after a big op! She really didn't do a lot for the rest of the day, she drank tonnes of water and mainly 'chilled' but she was finding really difficult to get comfy :( It really upset me to see her like that! She ate a bit of brocoli, which made me feel a bit better, and I hand fed her some more before I went to bed and moved her water bottle closer to where she'd settled. I woke up this morning and she's looking fab!!! She was awake and greeted me with her huge big eyes, her ears were all pricked up, she'd eaten all her brocoli and she's moving around a lot more! :D She's still a bit sleepy, but at least she's eating and she's getting back to herself again! Because Fonzie runs around like there's no tomorrow, and jumps on to everything she can, the nurse recommended I keep her in her cage until she has her stitches out. My dad's sat in the living room with her and shouted me through, and she's eating her rabbit pellets now, too!! :D So overall, I think she's going to be fine! She seems to be making an excellent recovery!!!! Thank you all so much for your advice and good wishes!! :thumb: I'll let you know how we get on!!!

Thanks again!!!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Ah great stuff Emma, I'm really pleased to hear that all is well :)
Please give her some scritches from me.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your support and advice!! :D Fonzie's doing great! She's really itching to get out her cage now, but if I let her out I know she'll hurt herself because she runs around like a nutter!!! So, I tell her no!! But she then gives me those eyes and makes me feel all guilty!! :roll: She's certainly getting back to her usual cheeky self!! :D

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Back