• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help hopefully Jack's-jane

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Ok I will probably get slightly roasted for this but I was in the dreaded pets at home and they had two beautiful silver rex bunnies I walked past and kept going but I overheard the girl in the shop saying she didn't even know what breed they were then she dropped one!! Well that was it I decided right then and there I wasn't leaving them. I've been looking into getting a rabbit since I lost my last ones now I'm not a novice rabbit owner so I can get the basics but in regards to rex rabbits what do I need to do differently I have them on vet bed at the moment what else do I need to do for there feet? Also am I right in keeping them as indoor bunnies or could they go outside next year any help appreciated I've been out the bunny loop for a wee while I have named them phoebe and emma please try to keep the roasting to a minimum I know I should have adopted but I just couldn't leave them there
57f07fcf2447bd280302205f74bd7d97.jpg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No advice I'm afraid, but I'm glad that they have a new home with you, as someone who is willing to make sure that their breed specific needs are met. And they are gorgeous too!

Ok I will probably get slightly roasted for this but I was in the dreaded pets at home and they had two beautiful silver text bunnies I walked past and kept going but I overheard the girl in the shop saying she didn't even know what breed they were then she dropped one!! Well that was it I decided right then and there I wasn't leaving them. I've been looking into getting a rabbit since I lost my last ones now I'm not a novice rabbit owner so I can get the basics but in regards to rex rabbits what do I need to do differently I have them on vet bed at the moment what else do I need to do for there feet? Also am I right in keeping them as indoor bunnies or could they go outside next year any help appreciated I've been put the bunny loop for a wee while I have named them phoebe and emma please try to keep the roasting to a minimum I know I should have adopted but I just couldn't leave them there
57f07fcf2447bd280302205f74bd7d97.jpg

'
No roasting from me !! Where people obtain their Rabbits is no-one else's business :)

They are lovely Chinchilla Rexes. Are you 100% certain that they are both Doe's. Pah are not exactly good at sexing the Rabbits they sell.

So my first advice would be to get them booked in with a Vet to confirm their genders (if you are not 100% certain) and to have their first vaccination done. They will need both the Nobivac Myxo-RHD and the Filivac (RHD2).

Rexes can live outdoors as long as the accomodation is well insulated and dry. The best substrate to keep them on is soft deep hay. If a Rex can get to about a year of age without much fur loss on their hocks then in adult life their hocks may not ever become too bad as long as they are housed on a suitable substrate and they do not become over-weight. Rexes are exceptionally greedy and so keeping them at a healthy weight can be a challenge !! They will also need to have their nails trimmed on a regular basis to make sure they do not become too long. This can lead to the Rabbit taking too much weight on their hocks and increasing the risk of fur loss/sore hocks.

If you keep them as House Rabbits then it's worth bearing in mind that carpet is very abrasive. So personally I would not keep a Rex on a carpeted surface, certainly not all the time anyway.

Do you have a hay recomendation? I took them to the practice i work at and they look to be both girls they are slit shaped rather than round also they are quite sizeable and there are no testicles the girl in shop didn't have a clue also this is a slightly weird question but does anyone have any tips on how to introduce a cat and rabbit obviously it'll be well into when the girls have settled in
I have them booked in next Thursday for the filavac injection as that should give them time to settle in. I have just insured them with petplan as well also they have never had veg at all do they need it?or can I leave it out if I give them enough Hay Phoebe is already proving to be a greedy guts she's already happily scoffing on her pellets which I will need to swap over when the bags running out.

I feel like a total newbie even though I have a qualification in rabbit nursing and I had rabbits for years I feel totally out of practice :oops::oops::oops:

Do you have a hay recomendation? I took them to the practice i work at and they look to be both girls they are slit shaped rather than round also they are quite sizeable and there are no testicles the girl in shop didn't have a clue also this is a slightly weird question but does anyone have any tips on how to introduce a cat and rabbit obviously it'll be well into when the girls have settled in
I have them booked in next Thursday for the filavac injection as that should give them time to settle in. I have just insured them with petplan as well also they have never had veg at all do they need it?or can I leave it out if I give them enough Hay Phoebe is already proving to be a greedy guts she's already happily scoffing on her pellets which I will need to swap over when the bags running out.

I feel like a total newbie even though I have a qualification in rabbit nursing and I had rabbits for years I feel totally out of practice :oops::oops::oops:

If you can eventually get them on to a diet that is 90% hay based and minimal if any pellets that would be great. As I mentioned, Rexes think that their only mission in life is to eat and they seldom stop when they are full to bursting with pellets !

This info may give you a good foundation on what diet to aim to get them on in the longterm

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/components-rabbit-diet.asp

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-plants-vegetables-fruits.asp

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food.asp

I use baled hay for bedding, I buy the bales from an Equine Feed Supply outlet/Farm

Then there are numerous varieties of feeding hays available, aswell as dried grass such as 'Readigrass'

Several examples on here :

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/hay-grasses.html

Re the pen, personally I think it is too small for them to be confined to. Could you make the spare room Bunny proof so they can remain there all the time ?

They will only be in the pen in the initial getting used to the cat period they will have free range of the house eventually and 100% access to spare room the whole time, its really for the initial getting used to the house and me and I want something that I can fold down and use to help them recover post spay as phoebe is already proving herself to be a bit of a madam she's charging the bars whenever i'm anywhere near so I think her hormones are already playing up.
The pen wouldn't be permanent at all any suggestions on what I could use or any bigger pens it does need to fold down as it wont be permanent.
Sorry for the 100 questions I literally am panicking that I will get this wrong as i've not had a bunny in so long

They will only be in the pen in the initial getting used to the cat period they will have free range of the house eventually and 100% access to spare room the whole time, its really for the initial getting used to the house and me and I want something that I can fold down and use to help them recover post spay as phoebe is already proving herself to be a bit of a madam she's charging the bars whenever i'm anywhere near so I think her hormones are already playing up.
The pen wouldn't be permanent at all any suggestions on what I could use or any bigger pens it does need to fold down as it wont be permanent.
Sorry for the 100 questions I literally am panicking that I will get this wrong as i've not had a bunny in so long

So the pen would be just for a couple of hours now and again and for post spay recovery ?

Has your Cat seen small furies in the house before ?

Yes the pen will just be so they are enclosed so they can get used to the cat, I plan on introducing them gradually so allow the cat access in to the room while they are confined for around 15 mins then build up then eventually I will start bringing there scent into the rest of the house Oliver has lived with degus and he grew up with the rabbits I had previously he's pretty chilled and due to illness reasons is an indoor cat he's never hunted and never showed any interest in any of the small furries I have had before, I just don't want the girls to bolt of and injure themselves if they have to much space so was thinking confining them be best for the initial intros but the pen will be more of a heaven forbid illness/recovery base after the spay mostly they will have access to the whole room when I am out and the whole house when I am in once I remember how to bunny proof all my cables

I've had 3 Rexes for over 5 years now. I was concerned about Sore Hocks before I got them, because I knew they needed to live outside. They have a large shed, which has thick hay over most of the floor, which is attached to a series of outside runs, all on concrete paving slabs. Some of the outside accommodation is covered, but not all. I do make sure that if it is prolonged rain, they are shut in the shed, to protect their hocks, but otherwise they are treated no differently to other rabbits. They are all very active.

All three have had sore hocks on occasion, but all instances have been extremely mild and short term and have not needed any treatment.

I make sure that their nails are clipped regularly and regularly check their weight.

Your rabbits are very lovely :love:

This will sound ridiculous. But how deep a layer of hay do you use phoebe I can tell is found to cause problems I notice she already has a marginal amount of fur loss and as she has access to the spare room she is on lino unless I turn it into a stable (which I'm not to keen on) I'm planning 50/50 so half soft hay half lino if you catch my drift, however madam phoebe has just deposited all the hay out the side of the enclosure slash bedroom area could anyone help by showing me there rex set up thanks

This will sound ridiculous. But how deep a layer of hay do you use phoebe I can tell is found to cause problems I notice she already has a marginal amount of fur loss and as she has access to the spare room she is on lino unless I turn it into a stable (which I'm not to keen on) I'm planning 50/50 so half soft hay half lino if you catch my drift, however madam phoebe has just deposited all the hay out the side of the enclosure slash bedroom area could anyone help by showing me there rex set up thanks

Thank you that is roughly what I put in however I need to try and stop her firing it in to the other half of the room maybe I need finer panels do you mind me asking where you got the panels? I used a standard puppy pen as a straight down the middle divider with the door open but already it is clear she's a digger and is just shoving the hay out which means she's on lino

Thank you that is roughly what I put in however I need to try and stop her firing it in to the other half of the room maybe I need finer panels do you mind me asking where you got the panels? I used a standard puppy pen as a straight down the middle divider with the door open but already it is clear she's a digger and is just shoving the hay out which means she's on lino

The panels are all from dismantled old runs. You could block off the bottom part of the puppy panels with something maybe ?

I'll have to get inventive I forgot how inventive you need to be as a bunny parent lol I have some thin mesh I can hopefully run around the bottom to stop madam phoebe it's surprising how early she's earned her title

I'll have to get inventive I forgot how inventive you need to be as a bunny parent lol I have some thin mesh I can hopefully run around the bottom to stop madam phoebe it's surprising how early she's earned her title

They are gorgeous:love: I have tie wrapped cardboard to a puppy pen before now for a quick fix :lol:

Back