• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini Lop Rabbit

Sophie14

New Kit
We have two mini lops, brothers, born in February. One has started nipping his 11yr old owner, the other one is still gorgeous (and doesn't!) Can anyone help as to why one is nipping and what we can do to avoid this?

He is held correctly, fed well etc, has been neutered 3 weeks ago.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Thanks

How often are you holding him and why? I would generally think he doesn't like being held, so if you are holding him unnecessarily (i.e. for anything other than grooming, nail clipping, giving medicine etc) it might be worth stopping. Obviously you still need to hold him sometimes, so there are some things you can do to help, but if you aren't already, just stopping holding him except when you need to and for as short a time as possible may help a little :)

Is the nipping when he is picked up? Most buns don't like being picked up, try to keep it to a minimum.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

We have 9 buns and none of them really enjoy being picked up. Most of them have nipped at one time or another, probably due to fear. Also I don't think it's unusual for them to have different personalities, even though they are brothers.

It's worth bearing in mind though that if it's an unusual / recent change in personality then it might be that they are feeling unwell. Perhaps things are still settling after their op? x

Mini Lops

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

We have 9 buns and none of them really enjoy being picked up. Most of them have nipped at one time or another, probably due to fear. Also I don't think it's unusual for them to have different personalities, even though they are brothers.

It's worth bearing in mind though that if it's an unusual / recent change in personality then it might be that they are feeling unwell. Perhaps things are still settling after their op? x

Dear All

Thanks for your replies. That's really interesting as they've both been incredibly happy to be held up until now and the brother still loves it. The breeder we bought them off had handled them every day and said we should continue to do this so they continued to be happy to be held! It's a shame that one likes it and one doesn't as my child whose rabbit doesn't is a bit sad understandably!

Sophie

My mini-lop nipped at that age and gradually stopped. I think he was using it to communicate his unhappiness so I agree with the others about not doing things that make him unhappy (like picking him up) and it's worth learning all about bunny body language so you can tell how he's feeling before he gets to the point of nipping. I was normally nipped when I was in the way for example, because escape routes are important to rabbits and blocking one is considered to be offensive behaviour.

But also I think they don't understand that when they nip humans it really hurts. Nipping other rabbits who annoy/disrespect them is instinctive but it doesn't hurt so much when you've got thick fur. I adopted the policy of giving a loud yelp or brief (not too loud) scream when I was nipped and basically making a drama about how much it hurt and I think this is what changed his behaviour. He doesn't ever nip now not even when he's putting up a fight about going to the vet.

The sad fact is that baby rabbits are usually fine with being picked up and held but as they become teenagers/adults they, more often than not, decide that they don't like it. I have two mini lop brothers. I can pick them up to move them to a carrier etc but they absolutely don't like being held or cuddled. They are happiest just have human companionship and some gentle stroking, with their feet firmly on the ground!

A rabbit that likes being held is the exception rather than the rule, unfortunately.

Is he nipping to be let go, or could he have learned nipping to get attention or a treat?
My first neutered bunny seems to get worse 2,3weeks after neutering wit his nipping due to his oven teenager stage but at week 4 he completely stopped
If he isn't doing it through being scared, try saying no out loud each time he goes to try and nip, that's how I trained my late female not to nip she did it when she was baby but the sharp firmness of no in my voice she soon learned not to do it

Back