• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bunny parent, adopted an unwanted 10 year old bunny, need advice.

Natalie

Warren Scout
Hi

Long story short, my husband and I just adopted a rather neglected 10 year old rabbit. I'm completely and totally passionate about animals, but we've never cared for rabbits before. We had guinea pigs many years ago when our children were little, and we've had rescue dogs for 17 years. So no bunny experience.

Anyhoo, our new little family member is called Caramel, we got her on Saturday. She's used to being an outdoor rabbit, and had a big run. So we thought it best to continue doing what she was used to. So she now has a new hutch, which is enclosed by a huuuuge run :)

Apparently she had had a bunny companion but sadly he passed away some 3 or 4 years ago, so she's been on her own ever since.

She was probably handled a fair bit in her youth, but not so much in recent years. We know she bit when she was picked up recently by the previous owners.

We think they have allowed her vaccinations to lapse, I'll find out about that before we take her to the vets for a complete health check on Friday.

At the moment we're trying to let her slowly acclimatise to us and her new home, we're trying not to overwhelm her. I go and sit in the run with her a lot, just to sit with her and let her get used to me. I have managed to stroke her and rub her ears - she's absolutely gorgeous, so soft!

Anyway, our first slight problem is that she hasn't as yet gone up the ramp to her hutch sleep area. She did have a ramp and upstairs area before. Any suggestions regarding how to get her going up and down the ramp? I think our ramp is narrower and possibly steeper than she had before.

Also, what is recommended to use For her toilet area. Is carefresh a good option? I've waited to let her choose a toilet area and now want to start using a litter tray and am not sure what to put in it!

Sorry, clearly I'm a bit of a natterbox, did mean to try to keep this short! lol Will add a photo of our gorgeous girl as soon as I get one :)

Thanks for any advice anyone is able to offer - Natalie :)

Welcome to RU Natalie. How lovely you've adopted Caramel. You seem to be doing everything right. I'm not sure about the ramp question (I don't know if you could put some bricks or similar at the bottom to level it out a bit?) Carefresh is good, topped with loads of hay. I use megazorb which is similar but much cheaper.

When you see the vet on Friday its worth asking about rhvd2 vaccinations (filavac) as well as the rhvd/myxi combo vaccine.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your lovely old lady

Hi and welcome. :D

I have had a new shed installed with a hutch inside with a ramp, my boy won't use it. He is a larger type rabbit and it is fairly steep and narrow. He is happy to stay at floor level, his two companions are small girls who do use it. Maybe at ten years of age her legs are a bit arthritic and she prefers not to climb.

Maybe a thorough vet check will help give you some answers.

Good luck.

Hi Natalie :wave: and how lovely of you to take caramel on. Can't give advice on outdoor buns as mine are all indoor. The only nugget I would give you is make sure your vet is rabbit savvy. So many aren't sadly. Especially important now with rvhd2 killing so many unvaccinated bunnies across the country and some vets not even having the filavac vaccine in stock.
Looking forward to her pictures x

Hi

Long story short, my husband and I just adopted a rather neglected 10 year old rabbit. I'm completely and totally passionate about animals, but we've never cared for rabbits before. We had guinea pigs many years ago when our children were little, and we've had rescue dogs for 17 years. So no bunny experience.

Anyhoo, our new little family member is called Caramel, we got her on Saturday. She's used to being an outdoor rabbit, and had a big run. So we thought it best to continue doing what she was used to. So she now has a new hutch, which is enclosed by a huuuuge run :)

Apparently she had had a bunny companion but sadly he passed away some 3 or 4 years ago, so she's been on her own ever since.

She was probably handled a fair bit in her youth, but not so much in recent years. We know she bit when she was picked up recently by the previous owners.

We think they have allowed her vaccinations to lapse, I'll find out about that before we take her to the vets for a complete health check on Friday.

At the moment we're trying to let her slowly acclimatise to us and her new home, we're trying not to overwhelm her. I go and sit in the run with her a lot, just to sit with her and let her get used to me. I have managed to stroke her and rub her ears - she's absolutely gorgeous, so soft!

Anyway, our first slight problem is that she hasn't as yet gone up the ramp to her hutch sleep area. She did have a ramp and upstairs area before. Any suggestions regarding how to get her going up and down the ramp? I think our ramp is narrower and possibly steeper than she had before.

Also, what is recommended to use For her toilet area. Is carefresh a good option? I've waited to let her choose a toilet area and now want to start using a litter tray and am not sure what to put in it!

Sorry, clearly I'm a bit of a natterbox, did mean to try to keep this short! lol Will add a photo of our gorgeous girl as soon as I get one :)

Thanks for any advice anyone is able to offer - Natalie :)

Welcome Natalie :wave:

There are two vaccinations, as you probably know - the novibac/myxo combo vaccine and also the newer Filavac.

It's advisable to give them two weeks apart, as they've not been tested together.

There's more info on RHD/VHD2 here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-10th-August-2017-New-Cases

Might be worth starting at the end and working your way backwards, for the latest info. You may find some vets don't stock it, so worth ringing round pretty soon to make sure Caramel gets covered asap.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

Just to clarify: The novibac myxi vaccination will cover myxi and VHD1. The newer Filavac vaccination covers VHD1 and VHD2. Yes, it means she will be getting a double dose of the VHD1 vaccine, but all our buns have to now, as there's no way around it.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I will be ringing our vet today to discuss the vaccinations. We only recently moved house (which is how we came across little Caramel) so our vets are very new to us. We've been a few times with the doggies and they've seemed pretty good. I will try to find out if they have a rabbit savvy partner.

No luck getting Caramel to go up the ramp yesterday evening, but we managed to get her up using her meadow grass covered tunnel! We gently manoeuvred her up whilst she was in the tunnel. Just got to get her down again this morning! We may have to give this a re-think, as it's not helping with her toiletting that she isn't able to access all the areas of her hutch unaided.

In the meantime though, when she's in the run, with access to the lower section of the hutch, she seems pretty contented. And is eating, drinking and pooping well :) She's even had a little go at tossing the willow sticks we've given her, and nudging the ball. So sweet. She's such a precious little soul. <3

Caramel is fine, but I am so upset. I found out from her previous owners which vets that they had used for Caramel and asked about vaccinations and was told that she hadn't been vaccinated for 'a long time'. When I rang the vets, it is the same one we go to with our dogs (as mentioned above we only recently moved in here and the vets are relatively new to us), they were able to look up Caramel's details and it looks like apart from the spay, and presumably initial vaccinations, she hasn't had any vaccinations since 2009 !!! :(

That's just not the way we do things with our family, be it the two legged or four legged kind. We think of them as family, not that we own them or that they are our pets, they are our family. So I was really shocked that they left her unprotected. Anyway, we're all booked in for Friday morning for a complete health check and the vaccinations program is going to start from scratch as if she were a baby. She will also have the VHD2 vaccination a couple of weeks later.

I managed to get her into the run this morning, the hutch is in the run, so she still has access to it, and she has hopped about a bit but doesn't seem quite as lively as yesterday, although maybe it's because today is raining and dull and yesterday was really warm and wonderful. She ate all her food overnight and seems in good spirits. I can't see any suspicious mess tail end, so all fingers and paws crossed that we'll have her with us for a good few years.

Oh, and also, do any of you have any advice regarding rabbit food. We have continued giving her the pellets she was on, they gave us what they had left, they are Pets at Home ones, but if there is something better, specifically for elderly buns, we might gradually change her over as this one starts to run out. I've been giving her about an egg cup full in the morning and another egg cup full in the evening. Is that too much? She seems to eat it all. Plus she's got loads of that lovely Timothy Hay from the Timothy Hay Co, which I've only just purchased so it's lovely and fresh, plus she has constant access during the day time to grass. Plus we've been giving her carrot tops :) Although tonight it's going to be Spring Greens. I can't give her much of the veggies to begin with as I don't think she is used to a variety of stuff and I just want to see how her tummy tolerates new foods before we go too crazy!

Oh and also, I've got her a Herby Birch Tunnel from The Hay Experts, but I wasn't sure if I should give it to her yet. Just a bit worried about giving her too many different things too quickly. Has anyone got any advice regarding whether it would be okay to let her have a nibble on that yet, or should I wait?

Thanks again, it's so nice to have people to 'talk' to about all things bunny!

From one new and rather worried bunny mum - Natalie :)

Caramel is fine, but I am so upset. I found out from her previous owners which vets that they had used for Caramel and asked about vaccinations and was told that she hadn't been vaccinated for 'a long time'. When I rang the vets, it is the same one we go to with our dogs (as mentioned above we only recently moved in here and the vets are relatively new to us), they were able to look up Caramel's details and it looks like apart from the spay, and presumably initial vaccinations, she hasn't had any vaccinations since 2009 !!! :(

That's just not the way we do things with our family, be it the two legged or four legged kind. We think of them as family, not that we own them or that they are our pets, they are our family. So I was really shocked that they left her unprotected. Anyway, we're all booked in for Friday morning for a complete health check and the vaccinations program is going to start from scratch as if she were a baby. She will also have the VHD2 vaccination a couple of weeks later.

I managed to get her into the run this morning, the hutch is in the run, so she still has access to it, and she has hopped about a bit but doesn't seem quite as lively as yesterday, although maybe it's because today is raining and dull and yesterday was really warm and wonderful. She ate all her food overnight and seems in good spirits. I can't see any suspicious mess tail end, so all fingers and paws crossed that we'll have her with us for a good few years.

Oh, and also, do any of you have any advice regarding rabbit food. We have continued giving her the pellets she was on, they gave us what they had left, they are Pets at Home ones, but if there is something better, specifically for elderly buns, we might gradually change her over as this one starts to run out. I've been giving her about an egg cup full in the morning and another egg cup full in the evening. Is that too much? She seems to eat it all. Plus she's got loads of that lovely Timothy Hay from the Timothy Hay Co, which I've only just purchased so it's lovely and fresh, plus she has constant access during the day time to grass. Plus we've been giving her carrot tops :) Although tonight it's going to be Spring Greens. I can't give her much of the veggies to begin with as I don't think she is used to a variety of stuff and I just want to see how her tummy tolerates new foods before we go too crazy!

Oh and also, I've got her a Herby Birch Tunnel from The Hay Experts, but I wasn't sure if I should give it to her yet. Just a bit worried about giving her too many different things too quickly. Has anyone got any advice regarding whether it would be okay to let her have a nibble on that yet, or should I wait?

Thanks again, it's so nice to have people to 'talk' to about all things bunny!

From one new and rather worried bunny mum - Natalie :)

Hi Natalie

I am sorry to hear about the lack of care that Caramel had, but brilliant that she's in your hands now and will be protected and cherished forever :)

Regarding food, there's some good info here:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp
(this gives a nutritional analysis of hay and grasses)

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp
(this gives a comparison of dry foods available)

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

And forage, which I love to give my rabbits:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2014/06/04/rabbit-safe-weeds/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2017/06/06/foraging-for-rabbits-5-more-weeds/

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

I hope that gives you a few ideas :wave:

I have bought mature Science Selective for older rabbits.

What a disappointment about the previous owners. Glad you have Caramel now.

I've got some photos now, can I not just add them here, does it have to be via a link to somewhere where the images are hosted on a server?

I've got some photos now, can I not just add them here, does it have to be via a link to somewhere where the images are hosted on a server?

yes i'm afraid so. I use Imgur with private settings - its very easy to use. You can add an avatar straight from your computer

I have bought mature Science Selective for older rabbits.

What a disappointment about the previous owners. Glad you have Caramel now.

Is that the Supreme Science Selective Rabbit Mature 4 years +? If so, is there a reason why on this chart there is no Vit A, Vit D, Vit E listed. Maybe it's in there but not listed, or maybe they don't think older rabbits need it. It's a highlighted brand, so I'd guess it IS in the food but for some reason not listed. I need to do more research lol :)

Just been to check on Caramel - she's lounging in the sunshine at the moment - looks very contented lol :) So sweet.

Is that the Supreme Science Selective Rabbit Mature 4 years +? If so, is there a reason why on this chart there is no Vit A, Vit D, Vit E listed. Maybe it's in there but not listed, or maybe they don't think older rabbits need it. It's a highlighted brand, so I'd guess it IS in the food but for some reason not listed. I need to do more research lol :)

Just been to check on Caramel - she's lounging in the sunshine at the moment - looks very contented lol :) So sweet.

I should think it's because the values weren't known at the time of writing, Natalie.

I have looked up the brand you mention, and the details are here:

http://supremepetfoods.com/products/science-selective-rabbit-mature-4-years/

NUTRITIONAL ADDITIVES/Kg
Vitamin A 22000 IU, Vitamin C 300mg, Vitamin D³ 2000 IU, Ferrous sulphate monohydrate 152mg, Calcium iodate anhydrous 1.5 mg, Copper sulphate pentahydrate 20 mg, Manganese oxide 71 mg, Zinc oxide 62 mg, Sodium selenite 0.2 mg.

Yes, older rabbits definitely *do* need those vitamins! All rabbits need them, and particularly the Vit D, especially house rabbits x

I should think it's because the values weren't known at the time of writing, Natalie.

I have looked up the brand you mention, and the details are here:

http://supremepetfoods.com/products/science-selective-rabbit-mature-4-years/

NUTRITIONAL ADDITIVES/Kg
Vitamin A 22000 IU, Vitamin C 300mg, Vitamin D³ 2000 IU, Ferrous sulphate monohydrate 152mg, Calcium iodate anhydrous 1.5 mg, Copper sulphate pentahydrate 20 mg, Manganese oxide 71 mg, Zinc oxide 62 mg, Sodium selenite 0.2 mg.

Yes, older rabbits definitely *do* need those vitamins! All rabbits need them, and particularly the Vit D, especially house rabbits x

Yes I thought that might be the case. I think that looks like it might be a good one for Caramel. Will get it sooner rather than later so that I can introduce a few nuggets with her old food and build it up gradually. Thanks for your reply MighyMax :)

This is a lovely thread to read. So wonderful to see a new rabbit owner doing plenty of research! Caramel has certainly landed on her feet with you :love:

For some healthy treats you can check out www.thehayexperts.co.uk or https://galensgarden.co.uk :D

Thank you roxyroller88, I had indeed found The Hay Experts, I bought a bunch of stuff for Caramel from them :) I've yet to give her the Herby Birch Tunnel - which does look so yummy - because I've been worrying about giving her too many new things at once. (You will find that I worry a lot! - Especially about all my wonderful furbabies)

I hadn't heard of Galens Garden, just had a quick peak and the Rabbit bit is on downtime while they update the site, will check it out again soon :)

Thank you! :)

Love this site :)

Yes I thought that might be the case. I think that looks like it might be a good one for Caramel. Will get it sooner rather than later so that I can introduce a few nuggets with her old food and build it up gradually. Thanks for your reply MighyMax :)

You're really welcome Natalie :D

Just a word about the Science Selective - unless they've changed their formulation, my rabbits (who are all dental boys and girls) can't actually eat it as the pellets are too big.

Burgess do some different brands which are smaller pellets.

I've had to go for smaller still in Oxbow Bunny Basics - but it's worth thinking about pellet size, if you think it might be an issue :)

Back