• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh no! My neighbours bun!

Huge swollen belly. Like a balloon.
Doesn't want Basil!
Hasn't really moved or eaten today.

Has been syringed some "baby anti-wind meds" and 10ml of water.

Loud gurgling sound in chest area not tummy area.
Is water resting on epiglottis?

What is likely diagnosis?
Anything we can do right now?

hi this sounds like bloat and can be fatal iv got a baby recovering from it now but have lost some in the past
becky

Hiya Holly go lightly

It sounds identical to what Buffy had 18 months ago - came home in the evening and her tummy was huge - she didn't want to eat - just sat there looking miserable - she also whinned slightly in pain when I picked her up.

I got her to the Vets fast - luckily they are only 5 mins away - she was kept in for two days and given fluid and Prepulsid - they also took Xray's to ensure no blockages. I was really lucky I acted so fast - she came home after two night for intensive home nursing and eventually her routine returned to normal - there was no apparant reason for the Bloat and Gi Statis as I hadn't changed her diet or anything - just one of those bunny things with her - she is still a bit prone to GI Statis so my Vet lets me keep prepulsid in for her just in case but TOUCH WOOD - she's been fine lately.

Good luck with the little bun but as mentioned here speed in getting Vet Attention really helps recovery rate in this situation.

Unfortunately The vet isn't open at 8:30pm. I called the vet last night on the emergency number and they gave us advice to follow until this morning.

Little Smokey is being seen now. I'll give you an update soon.

FYI - If you can't get to the vet....

* Small doses of Infacol or similar - Drug is Simithecon (sp)
* Syringe water with Avi-pro if you have it. Or plain water for hydration.
* Keep in a room they will want to explore to encourage moving around.
* Keep very warm. Do not let body temp drop below 102F. Monitor for cold ears. Use hot water bottle in hutch if temp drops.
* Do not give any different food. Stick to their normal pellets/hay if they'll eat them or Critical Care type mash. No fresh food.
* Gently massage belly if they will let you.
* If the rabbit appears to be in a lot of pain, administer bunny pain killers in correct dose if you keep a supply from your vet handy.

Cross your fingers, pray and leg it to the vet in the morning.

Back