• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant ID please - Bunny safe?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Our back garden is made of a bit of grass and weeds on one side, and the other side is mostly clay soil with lots of rocks and bits of concerete that the grass can't grow in. In the past week or so these plants have started popping up all over the place, there's no real defining features, they're just i small clusters of leaves like this:

21170761_10155504281355772_884428729_o.jpg

Any idea what it is? The leaves don't match any of the trees in my/my neighbours gardens. The garden was pretty rubbish before but the people who put the fences in left it much worse, I wish the landlord would just rip it all out and start again :(

ETA: Also the rabbits eat pretty much everything, even things they aren't supposed to like ivy, but they don't seem to be touching this

Our back garden is made of a bit of grass and weeds on one side, and the other side is mostly clay soil with lots of rocks and bits of concerete that the grass can't grow in. In the past week or so these plants have started popping up all over the place, there's no real defining features, they're just i small clusters of leaves like this:

Any idea what it is? The leaves don't match any of the trees in my/my neighbours gardens. The garden was pretty rubbish before but the people who put the fences in left it much worse, I wish the landlord would just rip it all out and start again :(

ETA: Also the rabbits eat pretty much everything, even things they aren't supposed to like ivy, but they don't seem to be touching this

No idea , some sort of bramble maybe ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...=hjSkWYXdEduugAbTt7TQBw#imgrc=B1GOtsDKmA_QIM:

Repost on the foraging thread if you get no response here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?455755-my-foraging-diary&highlight=forage

:)

I don't recognise it at all :? Are you saying that each plant is just that cluster of leaves? Is it possible to post a pic of the whole plant?

I'd say either Hydrangea or young cherry trees (seedlings: the pigeons eat the cherries everywhere and then, well, drop 'em everywhere!). We used to get loads here but leaf mulching has put the majority of them off.

Thanks guys

That's it! I'm like 90% sure anyway. Same shape, edges, even that slight red tinge on the stem. There's some in the middle of the lawn but most of it is coming under the fence, one bit is actually attached to the fence and growing up it, plus it's happily growing in tough soil so it sounds characteristic of virginia creeper. Thank you!

Last edited:
Looks like virginia creeper to me too - you should be able to check on the bit that's climbing up the fence, if it's VC it will be making little bunches of "suckers" that it's using to cling on with as it climbs.

Back