• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He's left us.

shilps

New Kit
Our beautiful boy Cottontail passed away on Friday. He got fly-strike. The vet cleared it but he then went into cardiac-arrest.
Like that's not bad enough, we're on holiday at the moment. It's the first family holiday we've had in the last four years and the longest break since we've had our rabbits. The guilt is immense.
I wonder if we were there we could have picked up on the fly-strike quicker, and even if we didn't, he might have felt reassured with us.
My neighbour was looking after them in the day, and then our friend had them in the evenings. I have no doubt that they've done an amazing job. It's difficult for them too. It's just that maybe we could have made the difference.
He was amazing. He was alike a dog. He'd chase us in the garden, 'play' cards with the kids, come up for kisses, and seemed to always pick up on my emotions.
I don't know how Willow is coping with it too. She's not known a moment without Cottontail since we adopted her. My friend is keeping a close eye on her. He said she's eating fine and seems content but with her you never really know. She's a lot more reserved than Cottontail.
Sorry to go on. I just never thought I'd feel this devastated. He was only 6 years old and we weren't ready to let go. We're trying to enjoy this holiday, but even then something makes us smile or laugh and for some reason our thoughts go back to our poor boy. Dreading going back home and him not being there.

Our beautiful boy Cottontail passed away on Friday. He got fly-strike. The vet cleared it but he then went into cardiac-arrest.
Like that's not bad enough, we're on holiday at the moment. It's the first family holiday we've had in the last four years and the longest break since we've had our rabbits. The guilt is immense.
I wonder if we were there we could have picked up on the fly-strike quicker, and even if we didn't, he might have felt reassured with us.
My neighbour was looking after them in the day, and then our friend had them in the evenings. I have no doubt that they've done an amazing job. It's difficult for them too. It's just that maybe we could have made the difference.
He was amazing. He was alike a dog. He'd chase us in the garden, 'play' cards with the kids, come up for kisses, and seemed to always pick up on my emotions.
I don't know how Willow is coping with it too. She's not known a moment without Cottontail since we adopted her. My friend is keeping a close eye on her. He said she's eating fine and seems content but with her you never really know. She's a lot more reserved than Cottontail.
Sorry to go on. I just never thought I'd feel this devastated. He was only 6 years old and we weren't ready to let go. We're trying to enjoy this holiday, but even then something makes us smile or laugh and for some reason our thoughts go back to our poor boy. Dreading going back home and him not being there.

How absolutely devastating for you and your family :cry: I am so sorry :cry:

RIP Cottontail xx

I'm so very very sorry for your loss. Sending hugs. Guilt is part of the grieving process, but there was nothing else you could have done.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. That's devastating :(

Back