• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bitumen paint

Hi I wanted to paint the floor of my hutches as I was told bitumen is good for protecting the wood from urine. I just wanted to check do I need to get a special one or can I just go to b & q and get one from there.
Many thanks Emma

Hi,

I'm honestly not sure if this is a pet safe product. As rabbits sometimes chew their enclosures, they may ingest the paint which may cause issues.

It may be safer to protect your hutch with cuprinol garden shades, or Wilkos garden range and then place lino on the floor.
I've treated my desk with bee's wax which is waterproof and the buns seem to be discouraged from chewing objects that have bee's wax on it so this may be another options for treating the inside of your hutches.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use a bitumen paint where animals will have direct contact - they may ingest it if it gets on their feet or fur. There are so many alternatives - varnish (standard or any other variety), emulsion paint, most external wood stains...Basically, seal it as you would any external wood. Allow to thoroughly dry and don't allow animals in if there is any residual smell. Even better, seal it then put a piece of lino down. The wood and urine won't meet. and it will be very easy to wipe down, last longer and deter moulds, etc.

Back