• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing - what does your rabbit live in?

Amelia

Alpha Buck
Hi

This has probably already been discussed at some point on the forum but.....

what do people's rabbits live in?

If they are in the house do they just have the free run or do people have cages inside their house?

Or if they are outside do they mainly live in a shed or in a hutch or even in a shed in a hutch??

nowhere at the moment as he's arriving on Wednesday!

the plan is a dog crate in our spare room. then we'll see how things go. the entire room is bunny proof so, in theory, he could have the whole room to roam if he desired! This would be his main home. Then, as time goes on, we're planning on giving him access to the rest of the house bit by bit. then the room upstairs would be his 'bedroom' or 'quiet room' (if the house gets bombarded with noisy visitors!)

Untill he eats the leather sofa ;-)

Mine is a house bunnie but I have an outdoor run for him. Indoors he has a hutch and access to the room he shares with the cars. I have had him on the landing too but he was very nervous. We have too many wires and too many rooms to let a bunnie loose ;-( I would love that.

ahh yes, well remembered :!:

i've ordered a puppy pen to 'assist' with bunnyproofing. fingers crossed by the time we're at the 'chomp i'm hiding inside this scrummy sofa' stage my husband will be so smitten he'll see the funny side! :?:

Our living room bunnies have two of those Ferplast cages to sleep in and live in during the day, then they play out in the living room all evening and weekend.

The bathroom bunnies have a smaller cage, but they're rarely confined to it, and have the run of the bathroom pretty much all the time and get the hallway and kitchen on a fairly regular basis.

Roo sleeps in extended cage one part is a dog crate and the other part is pet shop brought cage, have extended the pet shop one up as well. If i had known how cheap ex large dog crates were on E-bay would have just got one of those. We took the crate we had for the dog (cocker spainel) medium size crate unclip side of shop brought cage fix the two together. Roo is house bunny and has the run of the downstairs (all bunny proof) he only goes into cage when we are out and at night.

Mubby has a quiet room with a indoor cage... to sleep in and live in during the day, then he plays out in the living room all evening and weekend.
:D

Ours live in hutches in the garden most of the time, but come indoors when we are around the watch them.

They have at various points lived indoors (in their hutch) recently Casey stayed in my room with his hutch for a bedroom/time out and free run of the rest of the room. My bunny proofing wasn't to good and he got into everything (could have muched all my wires) so we're in no great hurry to try that again.

My babies have the run of the living room and dining room, and the kitchen if they would risk the flooring :wink: I also have a Ferplast house for them in the lounge where they stay when I`m out. When its hot days and I`m out, they have a outside hutch. Sometimes when I`m home, they go outside and eyeball me when I`m in the kitchen :lol: So then I will go out and sit and have cuddles with them one at a time :roll: :) Or I`m washing the dishes and talking to them and waving :shock: The things you do when they are eyeballing you :!: :lol:

I have a pic of there house in my pics below.

I use a ferplast cage extended with pws greenline panels, My bunny goes in it at night and during the day. She's out for an hour in the morning then 4-5 hours in the evening and more at weekends.

home2.jpg

Howdie Bunny mad Folk!

Buffs and Cagney are very spoilt House Bunns and when we moved last year - top prioity was to provide dedicated bunny space!! - what are we bunny slaves like eh!! :lol: :lol: New Kitchen, New Windows - No - top priority was BUNNY SPACE :?

So the project began - the old garage was repainted, a new suspended ceiling and lighting put in to make it bright and airy, safety flooring for their little paws (sad or what!) so they didn't do wheelies when they binkie!! - the safety flooring is covered with non slip washable matting too so its nice and comfy for them - the garage opens onto a small utility which leads through to a small play room and into the garden - so they can run right through and outside to play!! - supervised of course!!
- Although they love their den sooo much its sometimes a job just to get them out in the garden sometimes. Both areas the playroom and utility have windows so I can get some nice breezes in so its nice and airy for them!! -

Mind you we had some long time pals over to visit from the States recently who took one look at the bunny room and were convinced I'd gone completely bonkers!!!!! -

Here's some dez rez pickies!!

P1010009.jpg

P1010001.jpg

P1010010.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: Men in white coats will be here for me soon :!: :!:

Wow Lany, your bunnies home looks amazing!

How do you manage to keep it so clean??

I can't wait until I eventually buy my own house and will definitely have my bunnies as house rabbits again with their own room :)

My bun's got a Ferplast cage, too! She's in there during the day, then evenings and weekends she has the run of the living room, conservatory and kitchen! In the summer she lives in the living room with us where it's a lot cooler, but in the winter she lives in the conservatory. :D

A few questions.....

Where do you get these Ferplast cages from? Can you buy them online? Do they do ones which are big enough for two rabbits or are they only suitable for one?

We got ours from Pets at Home! I think they're about £50, and the one I have at the minute could easily fit two Netherland Dwarfs in, but I've just seen a new one that I might buy my Fonzie and it's quite a lot bigger! Definitely enough room for two buns! :D

I got mine from pets@home (or whatever it was called then) about 6 years ago, It cost me £60.
The ones I've seen in there now are smaller and more expensive! Last weekend they had a "new in" rabbitcage that was TINY. :(
You must be able to get them online somewhere -I dont know where tho sorry.
The dog cages look better, more head room. I'm thinking of changing and getting one.

I have 3 of the ferplast 100 cages,i think there too small for a bunny to live in permently i ended up joining two together to make a bigger cage,but i dont use them anymore.(i have seen a massive ferplast cage that would be big enough for 2 bunnies)
ive seen the new ferplast cage and its not very high ok for dwarf bunnys but not my sized buns
I think the dog cages are much better value and bigger

beck said:
The ones I've seen in there now are smaller and more expensive! Last weekend they had a "new in" rabbitcage that was TINY. :(

Those new ones are horrible. There's no head room at all for the little blighters.

http://www.ferplast.com/uk/page_1238.html

Out of these, the Rabbit 140 would be the best choice, but I think that a dog crate might still be the best option. You get a good amount of floor area, plus a nice height for the bunnies to stretch up in. Cage manufacturers never seem to take into account that bunnies like to stand on their hind legs and look around. A lot of runs are too short too.

The one at the very bottom of the page is the new one they have in at P@H. Even with their specially chosen tiny bunnies you can see it's too small.

Amelia said:
Wow Lany, your bunnies home looks amazing!
How do you manage to keep it so clean??

Hi Amelia - awwwwwww thanks for the compliment :oops: :oops: - I've gone all red now!! -
I think I've been really lucky with bunnies - both Buffy and Cagney are 99% litter trained (still get the odd raisen or two about) but hey! - whats a raisen between friends eh!! - They are real good bunns both of them and non destructive - the only quirk Cagney has is that she likes to throw her
Cardboard Castle about the place - ususally with Buffy still underneath it :lol: :lol: [/b]

Amelia said:
I can't wait until I eventually buy my own house and will definitely have my bunnies as house rabbits again with their own room :)

Oh Amelia - its great having House Bunns about the place - just wouldn't be without them - although it is hard work keeping the place clean and tidy for them - its well worth it -

Bunny hugs to you and yours!!

Awww Lany, Cagney and Buffy are very lucky bunsters, and by the look of their cheeky little faces in your signature, don't they know it.

I really like the plastic three drawer unit that you have in their bunnyroom. Like your buns, Rob has his own bunnyroom, and I keep all his things i.e food, medicines, brush, wipes etc in a cupboard outside his room. That plastic unit would be perfect for storing these sorts of things.

Back