• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing

Monty's Human

Alpha Buck
I really thought I'd bunny-proofed the kitchen. Fool I am!

We put a baby gate across the doorway to separate it from the living room. It took (I kid you not) less than two minutes for Monty to wriggle through the bars.

I think we have a temporary fix, but gah! Blasted rabbit. Am I allowed to fatten him up so he stops wriggling through increasingly implausible small spaces?! :lol:

They are pesky! You could tie wrap some weldmesh onto it?

We have gone for the much less scientific approach of propping a plastic lid across the bars, putting a heavy box behind to hold it upright, and telling Ossie she's responsible for keeping him in the kitchen!

We have gone for the much less scientific approach of propping a plastic lid across the bars, putting a heavy box behind to hold it upright, and telling Ossie she's responsible for keeping him in the kitchen!

Good thinking :thumb: I tried propping a piece of wood behind the gate in the goat pen, because Charlie and Lola could squeeze through the squares in the fence :shock: but I had to resort to tiewrapping mesh on when Pumpkin kept head butting the gate and knocking the wood over :roll::lol:

Mine are always doing their little raptor impressions to try and find weaknesses in the fences! :thumb:

:lol: If there's an opportunity, they'll exploit it!

We have a baby gate on Spuds room, with a section from one of those metal runs tie wrapped to it. He would definitely be through no problem otherwise x

Standard baby gate from argos... thin piece of ply across the bottom stops them from suqeezing out.. it's not fixed on - just slid through the bars.

The wooden cross hatch is just to soften the look of the gate a little. It's fixed on with multiple cable ties.

(Phoebe can squeeze through too)
497769ec1e05d45a85f7ece57a9153dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I really thought I'd bunny-proofed the kitchen. Fool I am!

We put a baby gate across the doorway to separate it from the living room. It took (I kid you not) less than two minutes for Monty to wriggle through the bars.

I think we have a temporary fix, but gah! Blasted rabbit. Am I allowed to fatten him up so he stops wriggling through increasingly implausible small spaces?! :lol:

Yes, definitely, wide buns are the answer. More treats!!

I use a couple of those CC grids and cable tie them to the baby gate.

What you've erected sounds like Fort Knox. How on earth do *you* negotiate it without toppling over yourself?

Standard baby gate from argos... thin piece of ply across the bottom stops them from suqeezing out.. it's not fixed on - just slid through the bars.

The wooden cross hatch is just to soften the look of the gate a little. It's fixed on with multiple cable ties.

(Phoebe can squeeze through too)
497769ec1e05d45a85f7ece57a9153dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I fear in our household, that would just qualify as a challenge to be chewed and torn at until it was no longer attached! :lol: It definitely looks a bit neater than our dissected storage box bared for all the world to see the chaos I'd tried to hide, though!

Yes, definitely, wide buns are the answer. More treats!!

I use a couple of those CC grids and cable tie them to the baby gate.

What you've erected sounds like Fort Knox. How on earth do *you* negotiate it without toppling over yourself?

The baby thingamy opens both ways ;) One simply has to open it into the kitchen (the plastic being on the other side), then utterly terrify the bunnies with the horrific act of clicking it back into place. Or, if you're my partner, step over the hip height obstacle and swear when you catch your foot :D

I'm glad ours aren't the only ones intent on a Great Escape! I thought the hamster was bad enough, but he at least doesn't break physics getting into things :roll:

The baby thingamy opens both ways ;) One simply has to open it into the kitchen (the plastic being on the other side), then utterly terrify the bunnies with the horrific act of clicking it back into place. Or, if you're my partner, step over the hip height obstacle and swear when you catch your foot :D
Our puppy pen panels around the lawn are my issue: OH just steps over them, but sometimes has to stop halfway because the bunnies are eager to see if he has food (they're right 90% of the time), which leads to some interesting language directed at the bunnies (along the lines of 'no, not there! I can't get in if you're there!' rather than actual swearing) followed by whatever forage is to-hand being flung across the lawn as a lure so he can get his crotch off the pen :lol: I have to enter/exit using the one 'entrance' by the blackcurrants :S If we have to set the same pens up inside temporarily, it's a massive palaver for me to get in and out, involving shooing bunnies away with me feet/the pen! :lol: But because I rarely have food on me, I'm usually ignored ;P

when we had our second kitten, we used a baby gate but we used rubber bands to fasten cardboard to one side of it so he couldn't get through the bars, obviously forgetting that cats are amazing at climbing and jumping lol, I assume it would work a little better for a rabbit :)

until they start eating it :D

Back