• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Norah's spay

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Norah has been spayed today, she is home , not doing good but I'm not sure if it is normal or not. She has eaten some curly kale , a piece of carrot, some dandelions and had a little drink of water. The vet gave me some powder to mix with water and a syringe to feed her if she doesn't eat, should I still do this if she has started eating a little bit. She seems very dozy . Still no poops. The vet says if she doesn't eat and no poops to take her back in morning.I will be be up and down through the night to encourage her to eat, she was spayed at 12.00am it is 22.00pm now is this normal for where we are at. Such a stressful time, also Jimmy is cuddling into her but I really should separate them as i can't monitor her poops correctly. Unless I watch them all night, I know how much they need each other so I'm worried this will give her more stress..

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Initially you could make up a little of the recovery food to see if she'll take it from a plate. Keep offering anything tasty to tempt her. If she hasn't pooped for 12 hours when they arrive they are likely to be smaller, darker, harder. I'd be more inclined to let her stay with her buddy to keep her in a good psychological state for her recovery & examine all poo. I'd clean out litter trays if you havent already to help monitor. Its normal for them to feel ropey after a big operation. How is her behaviour?

She is not doing anything, she has not left the bed yet but I think this has more to do with the fact the surroundings have changed as they normally live in there big shed outside and they are confined in a pen in the house. I am letting Jimmy out to wander but he is not interested, he just wants to stay with Norah. She has just had a small piece of banana and another small piece of carrot. I have tried to feed the food the vet gave me but she is actually pushing my hand away. I don't think syringing it into her is a good idea unless I have no choice. Once the poop arrives I will feel so much better. Thank you

She is not doing anything, she has not left the bed yet but I think this has more to do with the fact the surroundings have changed as they normally live in there big shed outside and they are confined in a pen in the house. I am letting Jimmy out to wander but he is not interested, he just wants to stay with Norah. She has just had a small piece of banana and another small piece of carrot. I have tried to feed the food the vet gave me but she is actually pushing my hand away. I don't think syringing it into her is a good idea unless I have no choice. Once the poop arrives I will feel so much better. Thank you

Hi there.

I know it's worrying, but it's normal for a doe to take some time after a spay. Vet's often give a painkiller that makes them drowsy, and it takes quite a few hours to wear off.

I should see how she goes, and use your judgement over night. Can you get some organic baby food into her? Syringing it straight without the critical care? (e.g. carrots and parsnips). Sometimes it's the tasty food they are after, and it's also got loads of moisture in there. Do you have any strong smelling herbs - parsley, dill or coriander maybe?

Did she come home with any pain relief to give her, and instructions as to when to begin it?

I have tried the baby food, I am not syringing I'm just dabbing it on lips and she is licking it off , I have tried the parsley, I was given no pain medication for her. Still no wee or poops,the vet said if still nothing by morning to take her back in. I'm comparing her to other people on facebook who's does were spayed today and there bunny's are moving around, Norah hasn't moved once. I have came to bed for a couple of hours sleep I have wrapped her up and left the heating on so she is warm. I tried giving critical care on a spoon but she's struggling to get away from it.I think she is sick of me messing on with her she just wants to sleep. I will see what happens in morning and if no improvement back to vets we go. Is it normal for does to just want to sit still and quiet for ages afterwards I think I could he expecting to much to soon but like I said other people's does seem so much more alert and moving which makes me worry. Thank you for the help, I am dealing with this alone and really don't know what I'm doing .I appreciate it

I have tried the baby food, I am not syringing I'm just dabbing it on lips and she is licking it off , I have tried the parsley, I was given no pain medication for her. Still no wee or poops,the vet said if still nothing by morning to take her back in. I'm comparing her to other people on facebook who's does were spayed today and there bunny's are moving around, Norah hasn't moved once. I have came to bed for a couple of hours sleep I have wrapped her up and left the heating on so she is warm. I tried giving critical care on a spoon but she's struggling to get away from it.I think she is sick of me messing on with her she just wants to sleep. I will see what happens in morning and if no improvement back to vets we go. Is it normal for does to just want to sit still and quiet for ages afterwards I think I could he expecting to much to soon but like I said other people's does seem so much more alert and moving which makes me worry. Thank you for the help, I am dealing with this alone and really don't know what I'm doing .I appreciate it

You're welcome :)

Yes, it can be, for sure. The last doe I had spayed was extremely (and worryingly) quiet for three days.

However, I think you should contact your vet asap in the morning for some pain relief

You should have been given this - Metacam - to be honest. And she should have a post-spay check up already booked in for her.

Good luck with overnight. I hope things begin to improve.

And just for good measure, here are a couple of articles on stasis, in case you're up and wanting something to read:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.melbournerabbitclinic.com/melbournerabbi/stasis.html

This morning Norah is eating more ,i haven't noticed any wee but she did a massive load of poop it looked and smelt like it was the the ones they eat only it was a bit mushy. Does this count as pooping?is this a good sign? It seems Jimmy isn't eating now though but I think this is stress he wants to be back outside. I'm thinking maybe if they were both back outside it will help them both only not so easy for me to watch them. I have to go to work now for 4 hours so I'm hoping everything will be ok.

Also I have made her a lovely fleecy snuggle bed but she prefers to lie in the litter tray on Top of the hay. I thought this would be uncomfortable for her but she seems happier there so should I keep moving her or just leave her.

I'd leave her where she feels comfy. She seems to be on track but I know what a worrying time this is. Lots of recovery vibes for Norah x

This morning Norah is eating more ,i haven't noticed any wee but she did a massive load of poop it looked and smelt like it was the the ones they eat only it was a bit mushy. Does this count as pooping?is this a good sign? It seems Jimmy isn't eating now though but I think this is stress he wants to be back outside. I'm thinking maybe if they were both back outside it will help them both only not so easy for me to watch them. I have to go to work now for 4 hours so I'm hoping everything will be ok.

I wa thinking of you. So glad to hear this. Poop is good :D

I am sure she will be fine. I would still get pain relief. Have they booked you in for a (free) post op check?

could you contact the vets to make sure she was given some pain relief after the op, and collect some for her for the coming days. i think it's usually 5-7 days but someone else may beable to confirm :wave:

She is back on Thursday and her final check the Thursday after. I was very concerned through the night as she started wimpering ,I was thinking the worst but by 4.00am she was starting to pull herself together. Thanks again so much for the advice it does mean so much when your dealing with something you have no clue about.

She is back on Thursday and her final check the Thursday after. I was very concerned through the night as she started wimpering ,I was thinking the worst but by 4.00am she was starting to pull herself together. Thanks again so much for the advice it does mean so much when your dealing with something you have no clue about.

Just to add, you don't have to take her in to get the Metacam. Ring up the surgery and pick some up for her. Thursday is a long time to wait without pain relief :)

Sorry to blast on about it. I don't like suffering pain myself when there is help available :)

No I totally agree I think it is a disgrace how they can expect to cut open an animal and not give pain relief. When I rang them they said she had had enough to last her yesterday, but I said I wanted some more because she was whimpering and I said I was willing to pay for it so I can collect it in an hour. Thank god

No I totally agree I think it is a disgrace how they can expect to cut open an animal and not give pain relief. When I rang them they said she had had enough to last her yesterday, but I said I wanted some more because she was whimpering and I said I was willing to pay for it so I can collect it in an hour. Thank god

I'm so relieved for you and her!

It's always good to have a small amount of Metacam in stock. That way if you ever have an emergency in the future, you can check with the vet and give it at home prior to a visit, to ease pain.

Am I totally thick I have to give her 0.3mg per kg and she is 1.8 kg so how much do I give her. And is this dosage correct because the same vets gave me baytril for one of my budgies and the dosage he told me was was actually toxic. She's grinding her teeth so I need to get this into her. Her poops are so sloppy is this normal thanks yet again

Am I totally thick I have to give her 0.3mg per kg and she is 1.8 kg so how much do I give her. And is this dosage correct because the same vets gave me baytril for one of my budgies and the dosage he told me was was actually toxic. She's grinding her teeth so I need to get this into her. Her poops are so sloppy is this normal thanks yet again

I think you mean that you are to give 0.3ml/kg ?

So for a 1.8kg Rabbit you'd need to give 0.54ml (1.8 x 0.3 = 0.54)

There is a wide dose range for Metacam (Meloxicam) and your Vet has prescribed a dose at the lower end of the range

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

After a spay the Doe's poos may be softer and less well formed than normal. This should fully resolve over 36-48 hours x

Just to say that your vet should give you the correct dosage for the Metacam.

There are two sorts, and I don't know which your vet has prescribed? There is cat and dog version!

Also, there's a range of dosage, which means you should really get advice from your vet :)
They should give you the precise 'ml' that she has to take, and how often

Back