• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Greenhouse Heaters

Amy104

Warren Veteran
I have some of these ready for winter but hubby is worried about the potential fire risk if a loose strand of hay touches the heater (I have guards).

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Sorry, I've never used them.
Where will they be? In the house/shed/greenhouse?
Hay certainly gets everywhere.

What sort of heaters are you using?

Electric tubular heaters with guards (mounted higher up and well out of reach) would be the only ones I would consider. Otherwise, good insulation in the walls, and a dry, draught-proof area with a box of hay to snuggle into with another bunny or two should be fine. In really cold weather (-5'C), I use Snugglesafe heatpads in the hay. Healthy rabbits that have lived outside during the Summer / Autumn should be fine in the Winter as they will develop a much thicker coat. Often they will choose to sit outside in the worst weather despite everything you provide.

Electric ones with guards - Its mainly just to take the edge off rather than actual warmth.

(I'm sure they aren't needed just an extra precaution as my bunnies have been through alot)

Last edited:
I used to have tubular greenhouse heaters, with guards, mounted about 6 inches from the floor so that water bowls could sit under them and stay ice-free. Worked a treat. They frequently got hay and endless amounts of dust and cobwebs on them. Never had any problems as they just don't get hot enough to ignite anything. Had them for years - no issues.

Thanks Mackers. It's mainly Oliver I worry about as he was used as a football by children before he came to me so he can get a bit painful if he gets too cold, but he hates being indoors. He's got a huge avairy setup in my garage as a compromise so its not as cold as outside. He also has regular checkups with the vet but so far has no needed any medication. I'd ideally like to keep it that way. I've just treated him to a petnap flexiguard as the piggies absolutely adore theirs.

Back