• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Basic Advice & Update as promised

jredk04

Warren Scout
Hope you don't mind. More questions from the novice!!

I'm going shopping and I've a few (basic) questions. I would really love some clarification/comments on the following:

- cage cleaning. (it's a dog crate) what would you recommend? what is safe to use? I've heard of white vinegar & 'keep it clean', fairy washing up liquid?

- water bottle or water bowl or both?

- would timothy hay from the pet shop be appropriate? (Until i find a better supplier, perhaps online)

- how often do you feed your bun? i've got conflicting advice re: pellet/mix - once daily at breakfast or twice? plus unlimited hay and smaller amounts 3 times a day

- litter - what's preferred - alfalfa, oat, citrus, paper? food?

- urine odour - now before i get the boy neutered i'm expecting an odour - i've seen some odour neutralising stuff at the pet shop - has anyone used this or could this be detrimental to his health?

well that's all my questions for now, and now for the update...

The exciting news!!!

As most of you know, my WONDERFUL hubby :wink: has agreed to us getting a housebun.

after posting up a 'what would you do' question last week (should i let my heart rule my head and get a hand-reared baby rescue bun, or stick to the original plan of an older rescue bun) I was really taken aback with all the really useful comments and advice posted.

In short, we visited three rescues this weekend. (thanks Tamsin) After seeing many many rabbits (including the baby buns.) we looked at the last half a dozen rabbits, it was raining and we were ready for home. Well, two caught our eye. but one really stood out. And he's adorable - really friendly, very manageable, laidback, gorgeous, WE totally fell in love. Tried looking at the rest, but it was a too late. Minds made up.
Yes, my husband was really taken with him too! I just couldn't believe the change in him. He was grinning like a cheshire cat!
I'm overjoyed as rescuing a rabbit had to be a joint decision and to date it's been an uphill struggle with hubby. AND he's even given him an name!!!

WOW - how happy am I?

Anyway, i won't ramble anymore. I'm so looking forward to his arrival on Wednesday and subject to my inspection, he'll be staying with us! :D :D :D :D :D

ttfn :D :D :D :D

ps - name, photos, etc etc to follow :wink:

Great news! I'm glad you've found the perfect bunny :D

On feeding, the best thing to do is ask the rescue what his current routine is and stick to that for now. Any food changes are best done not at the same time as the stress of moving home. He'll need unlimited hay but the type, amount and frequency of dry food is something that can be changed later if necessary.

On water, again whats he used to? If he currently uses a bowl then you'll probably need one of those at least whilst he learns to use a bottle. If you have somewhere to put a bowl where its not going to get filled with litter then he'd probably like a bowl best but otherwise a bottle so it stays clean.

Tam

Hiya
I use fairy liquid to was out the plastic cage i use and yes ive been told white vinegar to get rid of the urine stains. There are sprays you can get from petshops that are for pet cages too. Im sure others will have ideas.
I use a water bottle in the cage but when i let my bunny have a run around the flat i put a bowl of water out in case he wants it and he uses both. I use the heavy mason bowls (got them from wilkinsons cheap) one of water, one for food.
I dont use anything to stop the urine smell, just clean the corner out regularly and its not too whiffy.
Forgot your other questions so i will re-read and add more if i have more answers.
Chris

ok heres a bit more
meadow hay is good, ive never used timothy but im sure someone will know about that. You can either put a handful near his food or in a cardboard tube or hayball or in a hay rack.
for the floor of the cage u can use shavings (not sawdust) or barley straw maybe.
For litter trays you can use paper or wood based cat litter or shavings or other litters that are available. I think some people use paper at the bottom but my bunny just shreds it so i cant put it down.
Hope that helps a little.
Chris

Hi, That is great news!

What about using vet bed in the bottom of the cage?
MUCH less messy than shavings, and I think the base of the dog cages are quite shallow? shavings would go everywhere!!
I bought a cheap but hard wearing rug to use as part of Blueberry's enclosure is on the kitchin floor.

I use a corner litter tray with megazorb and hay, easy to clean in the sink, I wash it with washing up liquid but I use white vinegar neat on any stains - thoroughly rinse off! You can dilute it half and half with water, I put it in a plant sprayer -very handy all round the house! - especially with little ones around.

Blueberry prefers a bowl for her water - as already said use what he is used to.

It has taken a while for Blue to eat the timmy hay from the petshop, I had bought a hay ball from west wales willows full of their Timmy hay and she loved it. So I was going to order more hay from www, then she started eating the shop bought one !?! :? :roll:

Once you get into the swing of things you'll find your own way of doing things.
I wish this forum had been about 8 yrs ago when I was just starting out with house bunnies! you live and learn!!

sorry i hadn't made myself clearer earlier. i've requested some of the rabbits current food, although i hadn't realised that the hay was as critical (doh!) so i will ask her to bring some of that too. I'll request a weeks worth and pay her for that. I'm hoping that a week+ will be ok to slowly intergrate the food that i want to feed him (i think he's on a basic course mix at the moment and the hay is some older stuff that i wouldn't want him on for the long term).

he's using a bottle now, so that's easy to sort out.

will make a trip to wilkos - pet shop bowls are REALLY expensive!

will look into the vet bed idea. thanks.

jredk04 said:
Hope you don't mind. More questions from the novice!!

I'm going shopping and I've a few (basic) questions. I would really love some clarification/comments on the following:

- cage cleaning. (it's a dog crate) what would you recommend? what is safe to use? I've heard of white vinegar & 'keep it clean', fairy washing up liquid?

- would timothy hay from the pet shop be appropriate? (Until i find a better supplier, perhaps online)

- how often do you feed your bun? i've got conflicting advice re: pellet/mix - once daily at breakfast or twice? plus unlimited hay and smaller amounts 3 times a day

- urine odour - now before i get the boy neutered i'm expecting an odour - i've seen some odour neutralising stuff at the pet shop - has anyone used this or could this be detrimental to his health?

well that's all my questions for now, and now for the update...

The exciting news!!!

As most of you know, my WONDERFUL hubby :wink: has agreed to us getting a housebun.

after posting up a 'what would you do' question last week (should i let my heart rule my head and get a hand-reared baby rescue bun, or stick to the original plan of an older rescue bun) I was really taken aback with all the really useful comments and advice posted.

In short, we visited three rescues this weekend. (thanks Tamsin) After seeing many many rabbits (including the baby buns.) we looked at the last half a dozen rabbits, it was raining and we were ready for home. Well, two caught our eye. but one really stood out. And he's adorable - really friendly, very manageable, laidback, gorgeous, WE totally fell in love. Tried looking at the rest, but it was a too late. Minds made up.
Yes, my husband was really taken with him too! I just couldn't believe the change in him. He was grinning like a cheshire cat!
I'm overjoyed as rescuing a rabbit had to be a joint decision and to date it's been an uphill struggle with hubby. AND he's even given him an name!!!

WOW - how happy am I?

Anyway, i won't ramble anymore. I'm so looking forward to his arrival on Wednesday and subject to my inspection, he'll be staying with us! :D :D :D :D :D

ttfn :D :D :D :D

great news!!!!!!!

I used the keep it clean to clean cages litter trays etc
All my buns drink from a bottle,they like tp throw the bowls so water would be everywhere!
I get all my hay from a farm shop much cheaper i get a massive sack for £3 it lasts ages
feeding how old is the bunny? while mine were babies they were fed at lib very greedy my lot are!
now i feed twice a day veg and once a day tiny amount of dry they have hay all the time and dryed grass to which they love
for bedding in there litter trays they have megazorb with hay on top (they like to poo as the eat!)
then they have vet bed on the floor.
The keep it clean stuff is good for odours i even use it when the puppy has an accident.
Hve you thought about toys for him? mine love there toys they have there own toy basket!

toys?

he'll be spoilt rotton. i've kept all of my son's old baby toys - rattles, plastic balls, hanging things, that sort of thing. oh and cardboard boxes, tubes, i've a paper shredder (not that he'll actually be playing with that :) ), untreated wooden toys. am keeping my eye on our local classifieds for an elc tunnel for him to play in too. if you think he'll be spoilt rotton, you'd be right!!!

(don't worry folks, he's NOT going to get all this stuff at once, i'll put some of it aside for Christmas, don't want him thinking he's just walked into bunny heaven!!)

we think the bunny is about one. when i take him to the vets for his jabs etc i'll see what they think.

Am going to check on his routine with the rescue this evening and i'll aim to keep this going while he settles in. shouldn't be difficult as i'm v flexible as i'm a sahm (stay at home mum). i'll ask what veg he's been fed on to date and then introduce a little bit at a time as things progress.

i've not seen 'megazorb'. i'm popping out today so i'll have a look for it then.

vet beds, a popular luxury.i'll have a good look on the internet for a cheap source, until then, he'll have to make do with a towel. :)

I have found its worth buying things in small batches at first. Vet beds cool if your bunnie doesn't start eating it, some do, some don't. Same with foods and toys. Of course start with the food that they have been fed on already but don't go buying a three tonne sack just to find they hate it.

Good luck with the new babies.

First i must apolgise if any of this does not make sense have very heavy cold and can not stop sneezing. Have to keep deleting words as i keep sneezing. :D
Lets see if i can remember everything
Litter trays, newspaper, wood chip and lots of hay in both litter trays (We change both once a day).( farm shop hay)
Roo has a double sheet for a bed as he chews everything else (but not this one, think he likes the pattern :D )
Cleaning I use a pet shop spray for both rabbit and hamster.
Feeding, i feed Roo morning and night with pellets and veg and herbs for lunch.(not too much at first and remeber to watch for change in poo's)
Roo has water bottle for cage and bowl for when he is out of cage.
Earthware bowl from wilko's for food.
Hope this helps
DON'T FORGET WE WANT PICTURES AS SOON AS YOU CAN AND GOOD LUCK :D

thanks

perfect sense! hope the cold improves.

pictures will be posted, Wed night but may have to wait til thursday as i don't want the flash to upset him!

fingers crossed then

jredk04 said:
pictures will be posted, Wed night but may have to wait til thursday as i don't want the flash to upset him!

Bet you're so excited - only one sleep to go :)

sleep!? :D ha I laugh in the face of sleep - far far to excited. I'm ringing the rescue tonight just check everything is ok for the morning.

thanks for the link. i've decided to buy the bare min for the morning and then see how things go from there.

Fab news :D

Our buns live in hutches which are lined with newspaper and then covered with hay. Keeps things fairly clean, then just a squirt of two of cleaning spray from the pet shop where they pee.
I use washing up liquid for the litter trays.

We had both to start with (for Branwen) now they both have bottles in their hutches, and we leave out a water bowl when they are inside.

Should be, we use just ordinary hay and it's fine.

We just leave out a bowl each and that lasts them all day. If it gets empty then we top it up. They have plenty of hay too (Casey eats the stuff off his floor, yuck)

They have wood pellets that come in bags from the pet shop, which do the trick (horribly expensive though)

Case wasn't too bad. Only real problem was him spraying on the carpets and skirting board (easily solved with hot soapy water and stain remover respectivly)

Yay can't wait :)

Hope that helps. Good luck with your new 'baby'

Back