• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - something on Wilsons eye

AmberUK

Alpha Buck
There is something on wilsons eye. From a look it looks like a blister but when I move the lid about it seems to move freely. I need to clean his eye but I am not sure how to go about it, whats best to use to just kinda flick it out?

Boil water, let it cool then add a pinch of salt. Use that and some cottom wool to bathe the eye.

Tam :)

Ok cool got the kettle on.

Its giant I just don't see why hes not bothered by it, it was there yesterday but when I went to grab him to take a look it had gone and now its back.

Don't bunnies blink or anything?

Nope all my own vision here. I don't think I even have any eye drops in atm or a first aid kit. I am up for a few hours anyhow I am sure the kettle will have a chance to cool by then. He doesn't seem bothered, erm untill I picked him up that was ;-)

You can make it cool faster by pooring the water into a bowl and then standing that in a larger bowl that has cold water in.

Tam

Its gone again :?:

This is the freakiest thing, two days on a run I see it late at night when feeding him. I try and look closer/try and deal with it and its gone. I lifted the lid and checked all round its not stuck under the lip of the eye or anything. Very strange.

It's probably just an eye bogey, Amber... a dob of mucus... they are greyish & move around on the eyeball. It'll go on its own or you can wipe it out with a bit of saline-soaked cotton wool or tissue.

They are quite often the result of a stray hair getting into the rabbit's eye.. nothing to worry about! :)

Next time its there if its there for more than a few minutes I will get a picture. It did look snotty and afterwards when I soent ages and ages looking about it did look like there was a very evry fine twisted up hair there but sometimes these things look like shadows so its hard to tell.

It certainly wasn't even enough to be a blister and for a second i thought one of those tiny tiny slugs had gotton on his eye. Maybe I watch too many horror films.

This blob is nothing to worry about? I tried to take a picture but even with a digital camera is very hard its length is about 1/2 the diameter of the eye area. I tried to flick it out but its just not coming. Seems to keep hiding very low in the lid, sneaky boggey devil.

Well, the pictures didn't come out at all and our web sites down this week anyhow. Some suguested a cotton bud and out it popped. It was all hair and boggey, very grim but very big. Brave boy!

I guess its the joy of the moult - hair in the eyes ;-( Really amazed how he coped with it it covered 1/3 the area of the eye.

Back