• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Boy bunny"

Sarah2211

Young Bun
I caught my "boy" rabbit today pulling out his fur and building a nest!! Is this something boys do or could he be a she and making a nest because he/she's pregnant!? The shop I got my bunnies from said they are both boys!! Any help will be great
6795f0440fec7eca561f038a1e5be480.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd find it more than likely that you have a boy & girl, or two girls.

For peace of mind, take them both to your local rabbit savvy vet to have the sex confirmed properly.
Many will do this FOC.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ooooh looks like a nest to me!! Hope it's a phantom pregnancy, but check carefully for little lives, and whip the other bunny out smartish! They can mate again straight away after the doe has given birth, so she may be pregnant again after only a day or so. Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice, I've just been out to open their door and only one bunny waiting to come out, the other is in the nest with its back to me so can't see if there's babies in there, but a bit weird as both of them are normally at the door waiting to come out [emoji53]. I'll recheck in a bit. I probably could check their bits but I wouldn't know what I'm looking for [emoji4]

No babies but more fur!! How long after making a nest are they likely to have babies
8dfedec3b504f40e8e626d4a1224d59f.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I've just been out to open their door and only one bunny waiting to come out, the other is in the nest with its back to me so can't see if there's babies in there, but a bit weird as both of them are normally at the door waiting to come out [emoji53]. I'll recheck in a bit. I probably could check their bits but I wouldn't know what I'm looking for [emoji4]

If you can get some close up "bits" pics (!) we could help you!

Or, alternatively, pop them both along to the vets who will be able to sex them.

I'm afraid you do need to check for babies quite soon, as if there are, you will need to separate your rabbits straight away.

I caught my "boy" rabbit today pulling out his fur and building a nest!! Is this something boys do or could he be a she and making a nest because he/she's pregnant!? The shop I got my bunnies from said they are both boys!! Any help will be great
6795f0440fec7eca561f038a1e5be480.jpg

Sarah!!

Get them down to see the vet/vet nurse asap.

Pet shops are notorious for mis-sexing bunnies and it leading to unwanted litters.

Vibes that it's a phantom pregnancy as Pippin's Mum has suggested x

If it's a phantom pregnancy does that mean he's a girl!! They have free range of the garden, so let them out this morning, just been out to check on them, and he's sitting on the nest!! I'll go check again in a bit.
Yes I don't want any babies, I'd wanna keep them all, I'd be to scared as to where they might end up [emoji17]

If it's a phantom pregnancy does that mean he's a girl!! They have free range of the garden, so let them out this morning, just been out to check on them, and he's sitting on the nest!! I'll go check again in a bit.
Yes I don't want any babies, I'd wanna keep them all, I'd be to scared as to where they might end up [emoji17]

It's rare in males, but not unheard of:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Pseu_preg/pseudo_en.htm

I would see the vet, or nurse, and get a quick 'sexing' done :)

I would get them checked by the vet asap and separate them asap if one is a male because they will mate again soon after the doe gives birth. Not what you would want and not great for the doe either!

Best of luck.

I just found this thread. I just wanted to see if you saw any babies after the last check.

Still no babies 🤞, the one that's making the nest is now running around the garden bucking, would he/she be doing that if pregnant, I know I wouldn't be if I was [emoji23]

Still no babies ��, the one that's making the nest is now running around the garden bucking, would he/she be doing that if pregnant, I know I wouldn't be if I was [emoji23]

I have no experience with rabbits having babies but does this running around bucking seem a happy thing or upset thing?

I'll update you tomorrow, I've just shut them in for the night and he's sitting on the nest with more fur pulling 🤦*♂️[emoji51]

Back