• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating Paint off walls!!!!

helen

New Kit
my new buns have acquired a taste for paint....they have been nibbling it off the walls .... anyone have any ideas how to stop them?? something i can spray on the walls that will stop them maybe? are they deficient in something and thats why they are eating paint??!! HELP!!!

Hiya Helen - Naughty Bunsters eh! - what are they like -

I'm sure other Forum members will have some more ideas for you here but try some strong lemon juice sprayed on the walls - the danger is that paint is toxic so it's definately not good for bunnies to continue doing this.

My two bunsters have a converted Garage area for their main den with access to other parts of the house and garden - when they first went into their den they did have a nibble at the brickwork but thankfully after some strong lemon juice and lots of other more tasty things to eat such as their hay etc they no longer have a taste for the paintwork - might be worth a go with the Lemon Juice. Also when ever I saw them think about doing it - I just to clapp my hand and say "NO BUNNIES" quite loudly and they now no that if Mum does this they are in the "DOG OR MORE LIKE - RABBIT HOUSE!!!!) :lol: :lol:

Olbus oil!!

I was recomended it for a similar wallpaper/carpet chewing problem.

I got a little bottle for about £1.50, I've put drops of it over the carpet and wallpaper -it hasn't stained but I wasn't particually worried about that anyway.

It's brill, Blueberry goes up to the corner, stops and runs away :lol:

I had to do it again after a couple of days as the smell wears off.

I don't mind the smell myself, just when people walk in they say "you still got that cold?" :lol: :lol:

thanks guys!
im off to buy lemon juice tomorrow!!...will work on the clapping and saying "NO!"- nothing like a bit of conditioning!! wonder if it will work with the kids too :lol:
i already have olbas oil...will dig it out!

Fixing clear perspex over the bottom parts of the walls will stop it. It might not fit in with your decorating scheme though :D

Tam

I just bought some anti chewing spray, made for cats/dogs, but thought id give it a try. got it from pets at home. It smells of citronella. So far havent noticed him nibbled anywhere where ive sprayed it.. not sure how often i need to reapply it tho. I also clap my hands and shout NO at my bunny when he starts chewing. Doesnt olbas oil make things oily?
Chris

Back