• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help :(

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
I haven't been on this forum in so long but I am in a difficult situation and have to turn here for some advice. Please allow me to explain the context and details of my problem. Thank you so much.

I got my beloved French Lop Bellatrix when I lived with my parents and she was my absolute world. She got me through so many bad times and I love her so much. After about a year she had a health scare of a significant abscess on her neck and the thought of losing her crushed me. I got her a friend Theodore, a small white rescue rabbit and they bonded eventually after help from a rabbit rescue lady who is experienced in bonding. When Bellatrix became ill their bond fell apart and I was so worried that Bellatrix would hurt Theodore especially given the size difference. Bellatrix very much seemed to want to be independent and thrived off human companionship whilst Theodore just wanted to a rabbit best friend. Whilst I was struggling with what to do and keeping Theodore in my bedroom, my family decided they wanted to move away. This was not an option for me as I was tied to my job and couldn't move with them as our relationship was falling apart through various difficulties. The thought of giving up either rabbits was awful to me but I came to realise that Theodore needed companionship and I couldn't take on another rabbit to bond him with and the kindest thing for him would be to give him up to be bonded with another rabbit and rehomed. This broke my heart :cry:

The flat I had to move in to did not allow rabbits at all so my parents said that they would take Bellatrix and as she was recovering successfully and miraculously from her abscess I thought this had to be the best option. I gave my parents strict instructions and visited her weekly. I have always been worried that she didn't have enough space or human interaction. Her cage was around 5ft x 6ft and I knew it wasn't big enough and frequently asked my parents to try to make it bigger and let her out for exercise as regularly as possible. Whenever I visit I would spend lots of time with her and make sure she had a good run around. I know that they do not let her out as much as I would want.

At the weekend I went to visit them and found that her cage has been made smaller. I calmly asked why (furious inside!) and they said to make room for other things in the garage. It is now just under 4 x 4 ft and it disgusts me that they could do that to her and without telling me. She has been like that for around 2 weeks now. I wouldn't want her in that for even a day. After lots of discussion and me explaining that this is neglectful and that she needs 10ft x 6ft minimum they said they would try to make it a bit bigger. My dad suggested that they let her out every day for around and hour and I will ring every day to make sure that they do.

What should I do? I cannot bare to give up another rabbit and put her through the distress of moving to the rehoming place and then to a new home and it would absolutely break my heart. I am so upset about this and even considering having her at my place knowing that the landlord is strict on no pets.

What should I do? :(:(:(

Within a year I think me and my boyfriend could move house and we would prioritise ensuring that Bellatrix could live with us in suitable sized accommodation and I would love to have her with me. This can not be 100% certain though. This could be an ideal situation that I would do anything to make happen but I know that up to a year is a long time for Bellatrix to be in these conditions and still my not even be possible...

I haven't been on this forum in so long but I am in a difficult situation and have to turn here for some advice. Please allow me to explain the context and details of my problem. Thank you so much.

I got my beloved French Lop Bellatrix when I lived with my parents and she was my absolute world. She got me through so many bad times and I love her so much. After about a year she had a health scare of a significant abscess on her neck and the thought of losing her crushed me. I got her a friend Theodore, a small white rescue rabbit and they bonded eventually after help from a rabbit rescue lady who is experienced in bonding. When Bellatrix became ill their bond fell apart and I was so worried that Bellatrix would hurt Theodore especially given the size difference. Bellatrix very much seemed to want to be independent and thrived off human companionship whilst Theodore just wanted to a rabbit best friend. Whilst I was struggling with what to do and keeping Theodore in my bedroom, my family decided they wanted to move away. This was not an option for me as I was tied to my job and couldn't move with them as our relationship was falling apart through various difficulties. The thought of giving up either rabbits was awful to me but I came to realise that Theodore needed companionship and I couldn't take on another rabbit to bond him with and the kindest thing for him would be to give him up to be bonded with another rabbit and rehomed. This broke my heart :cry:

The flat I had to move in to did not allow rabbits at all so my parents said that they would take Bellatrix and as she was recovering successfully and miraculously from her abscess I thought this had to be the best option. I gave my parents strict instructions and visited her weekly. I have always been worried that she didn't have enough space or human interaction. Her cage was around 5ft x 6ft and I knew it wasn't big enough and frequently asked my parents to try to make it bigger and let her out for exercise as regularly as possible. Whenever I visit I would spend lots of time with her and make sure she had a good run around. I know that they do not let her out as much as I would want.

At the weekend I went to visit them and found that her cage has been made smaller. I calmly asked why (furious inside!) and they said to make room for other things in the garage. It is now just under 4 x 4 ft and it disgusts me that they could do that to her and without telling me. She has been like that for around 2 weeks now. I wouldn't want her in that for even a day. After lots of discussion and me explaining that this is neglectful and that she needs 10ft x 6ft minimum they said they would try to make it a bit bigger. My dad suggested that they let her out every day for around and hour and I will ring every day to make sure that they do.

What should I do? I cannot bare to give up another rabbit and put her through the distress of moving to the rehoming place and then to a new home and it would absolutely break my heart. I am so upset about this and even considering having her at my place knowing that the landlord is strict on no pets.

Hello

I am sorry that things are very difficult for you. Rehoming Theodore was obviously very painful for you, but you did what was best for him which proves just how much you care.

With regards to Bellatrix, whilst I know that the thought of rehoming her too would be awful. Would it really be any worse than knowing that she is apparently spending most of her days alone in a 4ftx4ft space out in a garage ?

Maybe you could think about not putting her in Rescue, but of looking to find her a new home yourself. That way you could be 100% certain that she would only go to someone who can offer her what she needs. I am not saying that a Rescue would not strive to do this, but if you did it yourself you would feel more in control of the situation. Perhaps you could list Bellatrix on RU and maybe a regular RU member might be able to offer her a home.

With regards to bringing Bellatrix to your flat despite the 'no pets' rule, this could go badly wrong should the Landlord find out. You could find yourself being evicted and then having to find somewhere else to rent whilst also having to accommodate Bellatrix.

Is there any alternative place for Bellatrix to be housed at your Parent's place rather than the garage ? Do they have a garden that could accommodate a Shed/run set-up ? Of course if your relationship with your Parent's remains 'fragile' it may be very difficult to suggest anything like this. I am just throwing a few random ideas into the pot, so to speak.

I do hope that you can find a way forward with this situation as I can understand how upsetting it is for you.

ETA- Another thought, maybe ask on here if anyone would be able to Foster Bellatrix for you. You would remain responsible for all costs involved and if your living situation does change you could then have Bellatrix back with you ?

Last edited:
Are you based in the UK? (I'm asking as there are laws that could allow you to keep your rabbit with you, despite a no pet rule).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I am so very sorry that you are in this position. It's quite clear that you have Bellatrix's interests at heart, and that she has got you through some bad times and is a close friend. Of course you would want to see her treated well, for her mental well being and her physical health also.

If this were me, this is what I would consider:

If I could afford it, I would ask someone to 'board' Bellatrix for a time until I could sort out suitable accommodation for myself and her. This could be on a sort of 'foster' basis, where the cost wouldn't be prohibitive for you. I might even suggest that you could contact a rescue centre to know of anyone who might possibly do this, for the sake of your rabbit.

If this were really not possible, then I would consider giving her up to a Rescue, a reputable one - whereabouts are you? I am sure we could find you a good rescue who you could approach for advice.

Lots of love, this is so difficult for you xx

How awful for you. I would see if you could get a fosterer for her and go down that avenue first since you don't want to give her up.

Try and get a fosterer as others have said. If you end up having to rehome her please get in contact with us at Rabbit Residence as I'm sure we could help.

Please help 😞

I'm so sorry you're in this situation [emoji17] I agree that looking into long term fostering might be the best option for the immediate future until you can move out of your current flat.

When you say rabbits aren't allowed in your flat, is this something that you were informed of by the letting agent or directly from the landlord? I don't know how approachable your landlord is but maybe you could get in touch with them directly and see if you can negotiate having Bellatrix with you, with written confirmation that you will accept full liability for any damage. Plus you could also offer an additional bond.

I live in rented accommodation myself and sometimes it's better to deal with landlords direct as letting agents can be pretty intransigent whereas the landlords themselves may be more relaxed about it.

Apologies if you've explored that avenue already with no luck. I really hope you manage to find a solution.

ETA: have you tried searching for somewhere else to live in your area using Openrent? Lettings are arranged directly with the landlords rather than agents and you can filter for properties that allow pets. A lot of them don't ask for admin fees which means you wouldn't have to provide as much money upfront as you normally would when going through an agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have you asked the landlord about pets? It tends to be a standard clause these days but when we were renting every single landlord I approached was happy to allow my rabbits - most just didn't want cats or dogs because of potential damage. I realise bunnies can be destructive but with clever bunnyproofing you can minamise any damage risk.

Have you asked the landlord about pets? It tends to be a standard clause these days but when we were renting every single landlord I approached was happy to allow my rabbits - most just didn't want cats or dogs because of potential damage. I realise bunnies can be destructive but with clever bunnyproofing you can minamise any damage risk.

I agree. It is certainly worth trying.

Where abouts are you based? I agree with all above. I would certainly try talking to your landlord, I have a rental, my standard clause says no pets but that's the agent, I've allowed cats and even rehomed one of my (unexpected baby from a rescue rabbit I took on) baby rabbits with one of my tenants before now.
Do let us know how you get on, I agree you should remove her from your parents, sounds like a storm brewing. Option 1- talk to your landlord direct, 2 - find a foster/long term boarder.
Wishing you the best xx

I second what has been said above, that it is worth speaking to your landlord about.

I'm a landlord myself, and have a general no-pets rule in my properties . . . however, if a tenant approached me about permission for small pets I'd definitely consider it. I'd certainly allow rabbits in my properties with a garden and, if the tenant could show me what bunny-proofing they would do, possibly inside as well. So yes, definitely ask!

Whatever happens, your bun cannot stay in her current situation. Whether you can take her, she can be fostered or, at worst, rehomed, something has to change. Good luck! :)

Back