• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please,any advice. 10 days of Baytril ,today Pepper is sneezing, white discharge.

janhm69

Young Bun
Hi there, I took my bun pepper to the vet 10 days ago as she had been sneezing a bit, no discharge from nose but decided to take her. Vet prescribed 1 ml Baytril 2.5% twice a day with a gut motility med, Emeprid. I have been doing this medicine religiously and also giving her some Biolapis for the tummy. Today, when the course of antibiotics has pretty much finished, she has been sneezing loads and there is an obvious white discharge from her nose. I am wondering if anyone has had the same and what treatment might actually work to clear this up. I have just given my buns some greens and she had such a sneezing fit that she couldn't really eat. She is 7 years old and has never had anything like this before. She is a house bun and lives in a very clean environment. Any advice would be much appreciated as it has been a really stressful 10 days for her (and me!) trying to get the meds down only to find that they obviously have not been working. Many thanks.

Hi. Maybe Baytril isn't strong enough? Another antibiotic might help. Your vet could do a culture test to see what kind of bacteria is causing this, to give a proper antibiotic. Also, maybe your rabbit is allergic to hay dust? My bun was sneezing really bad and had a bit of white looking discharge too, so maybe you could try to sprinkle some water on her hay, to reduce the dust amount she inhales? Maybe she's allergic to some cleaning stuff you use or something else in your house?

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Many thanks for your reply. I will certainly take her back to the vet and ask about the antibiotic. She is sneezing very badly tonight. She is eating, but the irritation in the nose is causing her discomfort. I am just hoping there is something else maybe that will work. If anything, having thought she was getting better, she is today much worse than 10 days ago. Once again, thank you for your kind reply.

Many thanks for your reply. I will certainly take her back to the vet and ask about the antibiotic. She is sneezing very badly tonight. She is eating, but the irritation in the nose is causing her discomfort. I am just hoping there is something else maybe that will work. If anything, having thought she was getting better, she is today much worse than 10 days ago. Once again, thank you for your kind reply.

Some upper respiratory tract infections can be a real challenge to treat and often it is necessary for treatment to continue for several weeks. Rather than me type out a lengthy post here are some links which you may find useful to read

https://thewebinarvet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Respiratory-Disease-in-Rabbit-webinar.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

I would definitely take Pepper back to the Vet as there is a lot more treatment that could be tried. Good luck x

Hi there, I took my bun pepper to the vet 10 days ago as she had been sneezing a bit, no discharge from nose but decided to take her. Vet prescribed 1 ml Baytril 2.5% twice a day with a gut motility med, Emeprid. I have been doing this medicine religiously and also giving her some Biolapis for the tummy. Today, when the course of antibiotics has pretty much finished, she has been sneezing loads and there is an obvious white discharge from her nose. I am wondering if anyone has had the same and what treatment might actually work to clear this up. I have just given my buns some greens and she had such a sneezing fit that she couldn't really eat. She is 7 years old and has never had anything like this before. She is a house bun and lives in a very clean environment. Any advice would be much appreciated as it has been a really stressful 10 days for her (and me!) trying to get the meds down only to find that they obviously have not been working. Many thanks.

Hi there

This is such a common theme with rabbits and can be such an intractable problem.

I began a thread about it a while back, as conventional treatments were not seen to be working so well, and my vet asked me to try and find any input as to other ways of treating:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...perienced-Rabbit-weight-loss&highlight=snotty

It can unfortunately often be connected with weight loss, though I don't know whether this is the case with your rabbit.

There's also some good info in these article, which may help:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/respira_main.htm

Oh dear! I wrote a lengthy reply but it didn't seem to get posted! My fault, I'm not too good at this! Thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it. I have read some of the links (very helpful) and have taken my bun back to the vet today. The vet did a swab of her nose in the hope that they might be able to better determine what is causing the infection. He has said that I should continue the Baytil until we get the results of the swab, I think he is thinking some antibiotic is probably better than no antibiotic. I am most grateful for the advice, I had not realised how lengthy the treatment can be for respiratory infections like this, not having ever had a bun with this sort of thing. Thank you x

Back