• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur loss

lolliemop

New Kit
Hello!
My bunny Tilly has recently shown lots of fur around her back, and a little on her dewlap area. Initially I assumed she was just molting so didn't worry too much but her fur loss has been so severe she has some bald patches (though there is some fur regrowing). She doesn't seem to be unhappy, is still eating, drinking, pooping and bouncing around happily. I've sprayed her with some rabbit insect spray just in case it was fleas, but this doesn't seem to have done much. She spends most of her time outdoors, coming indoors for a few hours or if it's raining/cold, I've decided to keep her inside today because I'm worried she'll get sun burnt on the fur-reduced patches. There are no skin flakes, her hutch is cleaned regularly, no sign of fly strike. She mostly eats pellets and a little hay (she's not very keen on hay!), I've read online to feed her black sunflower seeds to help fur growth, which she's really enjoying, and a bit of banana every now and then for a treat. She's a large albino bunny, she does have a disorder whereby she shakes her head but other than that is pretty normal. Lately she has been scratching her sides more, but not her back so I'm not convinced that this is causing the fur loss. I'd rather not take her to a vet unless necessary as I don't want her to get stressed, any ideas on what it could be?
Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Last edited:
Hello!
My bunny Tilly has recently shown lots of fur around her back, and a little on her dewlap area. Initially I assumed she was just molting so didn't worry too much but her fur loss has been so severe she has some bald patches (though there is some fur regrowing). She doesn't seem to be unhappy, is still eating, drinking, pooping and bouncing around happily. I've sprayed her with some rabbit insect spray just in case it was fleas, but this doesn't seem to have done much. She spends most of her time outdoors, coming indoors for a few hours or if it's raining/cold, I've decided to keep her inside today because I'm worried she'll get sun burnt on the fur-reduced patches. There are no skin flakes, her hutch is cleaned regularly, no sign of fly strike. She mostly eats pellets and a little hay (she's not very keen on hay!), I've read online to feed her black sunflower seeds to help fur growth, which she's really enjoying, and a bit of banana every now and then for a treat. She's a large albino bunny, she does have a disorder whereby she shakes her head but other than that is pretty normal. Lately she has been scratching her sides more, but not her back so I'm not convinced that this is causing the fur loss. I'd rather not take her to a vet unless necessary as I don't want her to get stressed, any ideas on what it could be?

Hello

It really is impossible to say what the cause of Tilly's fur loss may be without actually seeing the problem. It could be that she does have mites, even if you cant see them. If she is a very poor hay eater she may well have Dental problems. Dental problems can make it difficult for a Rabbit to groom themselves, this can then lead to the Rabbit getting mites.

But of course there are many other possible causes of fur loss

*warning, some graphic images on this link*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Diff/Alopcia.htm

The best thing to do would be to take Tilly to a Rabbit savvy Vet for a thorough check up. The sooner any problem is identified and treated the better the prognosis.

Good luck

Hello!

Hi there and welcome to RU :wave:

I wouldn't spray her with anything for fleas any more, as rabbits don't often get fleas, and some over the counter remedies can be less than favourable to a rabbit :)

I would take her to see a good, rabbit savvy vet. For two reasons - one she may have fur mites, and this is very easily treated with two or three spot on doses:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Also, you've mentioned that she's shaking her head. I would get the vet to look inside her ears and check that there's no debris or wax in there that's irritating her.

Is she spayed and vaccinated?

Back