• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breeding & Vaxinations

jewels26301

Young Bun
Ok, my doe gave birth last Thursday...all is well, but i just wondered

1) I know they can leave mum at around 8wks, but when will they begin to mate?

2) What age can they be vaxinated? is it 12weeks?

We have decided to keep them (well i've decided)...and am about to buy 2 more hutches for the shed...

What age will the boys fight?

Will girls be ok together?

What age can i take them to the vet for a check up and sexing?

Sorry for all the q's, my vets shut today....and i'm eager to learn :)

love julie x

Hi Julie,

jewels26301 said:
1) I know they can leave mum at around 8wks, but when will they begin to mate?

What breed are they - or what breeds appear to be in the mix if they are cross-bred? Some breeds mature earlier than others!

Some breeders including myself, leave them in with Mum for as long as possible. Mum likes the companionship and they are truly lovely to watch as a family unit.

If you are keeping them all, why not just take the boys away and leave Mum and her daughters together?

Ten weeks is usually the right age to remove the lads, as they will start mounting their sisters at about this time, although they don't become sexually capable until later on (although if they are Dutch or Dutch-crosses, they can be fertile from 12 weeks!).

2) What age can they be vaxinated? is it 12weeks?

I understand that the myxi vaccine can be given from 6 weeks, although I would leave it until 8 weeks as it would stress them out a great deal at this young age. You must wait two weeks after vaccination for myxi before vaccinating for VHD, and the VHD vaccine is given from 10 weeks, so this makes an excellent time plan. Check with your vet, as some tend to vaccinate earlier or later than others.

What age can i take them to the vet for a check up and sexing?

8 weeks, when they go for their myxi inoculation, seems like a good time. They will be grown enough to cope well with the stress. Unless they are ill, it's best not to stress baby rabbits by taking them out of their normal environment, before 8 weeks. The immune systems have not fully developed yet, and extra stress could bring on an infection or disease.

As to Sexing, there is a great post here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=648
with photos and links to other sites with sexing help. Don't be afraid to have a guess yourself (to be confirmed by a vet or an experienced rabbit keeper), as all it takes is practice, a good eye, and the ability to compare the two sexes. It's also good for the babies to be picked up & handled, turned upside down for sexing, and made to keep still while you look... they will be much more amenable to being handled, groomed and examined later in life.

What age will the boys fight?

I wouldn't leave them together much beyond 12 weeks in case any of them become early developers! I have seen the injuries two brothers can inflict upon each other when left together too long, and they can be horrific.

However, do speak to your vet about neutering as this can be done as soon as the testicles descend. With a little luck, you may be able to bond the brothers post-op, and then they can live together indefinitely.

Will girls be ok together?

Yes, they should be fine... you can also leave Mum with them, but keep an eye out for any mounting behaviour from her. Not all mums want the babies to stick around, although many do. If this happens, try taking the other girls away to their own hutch, leaving Mum with just one daughter for company. She may feel less crowded with just one daughter for company.

If you wish to split up the family the "conventional" way, Mum is usually removed at 8 weeks and the babies left together at least one full week before further segregation... but this is where the mother is intended to be bred again at a later date, and won't be living with her daughters.

Hope this helps!

Back