• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay in 3 yes old.

glitterdust

Warren Scout
I rescued 2 rabbits from our local rescue , a male and female. I was told they were both fixed as this is rescue rules. However Nora my Holland lop doe had started making a nest so I phoned the rescue back and they told me to see a vet. I took them both to vets yesterday and it turns out my male Jimmy has Been fixed but Nora hasn't. The rescue are full of apologies and they said this is the first time it has ever happened. They offered to pay for her spay. She is 3 years old , I am worried she is too old to go through it but she is pestering Jimmy and mounting him all the time.. has anybody had these rabbits spayed at older age. Thank you

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

If she is in good health - which your vet will check - she is not too old for spaying / a general anaesthetic. She is at an age where the risk for uterine cancer is high, so spaying now is a really good idea for her future health, as well as for behavioural reasons and for her bond with her partner.

I've had 9 year old rabbits have regular anaesthetics for dentals with no issues, so 3 is relatively young - especially if your vet regularly spays rabbits.

Thank you, I have her booked in for 2 weeks time, they said I can take Jimmy to keep her company so they won't be separated for long which has eased my mind a little. I have read up as much as I can but does anybody know what a Holland lops life span is. Thanks for the reply's

I rescued 2 rabbits from our local rescue , a male and female. I was told they were both fixed as this is rescue rules. However Nora my Holland lop doe had started making a nest so I phoned the rescue back and they told me to see a vet. I took them both to vets yesterday and it turns out my male Jimmy has Been fixed but Nora hasn't. The rescue are full of apologies and they said this is the first time it has ever happened. They offered to pay for her spay. She is 3 years old , I am worried she is too old to go through it but she is pestering Jimmy and mounting him all the time.. has anybody had these rabbits spayed at older age. Thank you

No, it's certainly not too late to spay a three year old bunny :)

I wondered if this was the case when you posted about her, which is why I thought getting back to the Rescue might be a good idea.

How did the vet know that Nora wasn't spayed?

You and Jimmy will find life much better once she's been 'done'

Info about spaying here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/neuter-your-bunnies/

Thank you, I have her booked in for 2 weeks time, they said I can take Jimmy to keep her company so they won't be separated for long which has eased my mind a little. I have read up as much as I can but does anybody know what a Holland lops life span is. Thanks for the reply's

In my experience their lifespan is 10/12 years :)

No, it's certainly not too late to spay a three year old bunny :)

I wondered if this was the case when you posted about her, which is why I thought getting back to the Rescue might be a good idea.

How did the vet know that Nora wasn't spayed?

You and Jimmy will find life much better once she's been 'done'

Info about spaying here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/neuter-your-bunnies/
They shaved her tummy and there was no scar which there should of been because she was apparently spade only 7 weeks ago. I found her dumped by the side of the road , she had a ring on, so she had to be taken to the rescue so they could try and trace her owners. No-one came forward so then they said they had to spay her as it was rescues policy before she could be released to me. They also advised me about housing and getting her a neutered male friend which is exactly what I did.. I waited 10 days till after her supposedly spay before i went to collect her. When the vets checked yesterday There was no records for her at the rescue , her chip number was not what I had on my records , there has just been an awful mix up. First time in 15 years this has happened apparently. I'm just relieved Jimmy was neutered.

When can I remove the nest? I don't want her to start pulling her fur again. The bonus is, it is lovely and clean in the bedding area , there has been no pooping or weeing, even the litter box that is in there hasn't been used since the nest appeared.

Back