• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

the Enderby Island rabbit

bunnymad

Warren Scout
Hi everyone.

I have decided to get a Enderby Island bunny :!:

I will be getting a baby male early next year :D to bond with my fixed male and unfixed female. I just hope the bonding goes well. When hes old enough he will be getting the snip :cry:

Ok, I`m not getting a rescue bun, but a "rare" classed breed here in new zealand and "very rare" outside of new zealand.

heres some reading on the breed :)

http://www.rarebitsandpieces.com/enderbyisland.htm

and

http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/enderbyrabbit.html

The coloring on them is amazing!!

bronie

What fab colouring!! An you should not feel guilty about getting a rare breeed as opposed to a rescue bun- don't want such a lovely creature to go the way of the Dido ( :?: :?: :oops: :?: ) Forgot what that extinct bird is called but its something like that.... :lol:
And thanks for the links - really interesting. Good luck

I think you meant Dodo but Dido I am sure some people would like to become exteict (she is a singer). lol

I love them bunnies - I want one lol they are very beautiful rabbits.

oh wow they are gorgeous

have you a name in mind for him or are you going to wait until you get him

That's really cool - very happy you are taking on New Zealand's only
home-grown breed of rabbit, and one that's far older than many others worldwide!

I hope you'll be able, via your new guy, to raise other people's awareness of them (and rabbits in general, of course).

They are extremely rare outside New Zealand... I think just a few are over in the USA... we have none here! Their main breeder who I think is Sitereh, is on one of the rare rabbit breeds mailing lists I'm a member of, so I get regular updates on them.

Look forward to hearing all about him when he arrives... an photos of course!

:D Thanks

I have 2 rescue buns (Bugzee thanks to mums cat!! and Shadow due to his last owner releasing him onto the street!!)

I have no idea of a name. This bun is more for my daughter who got shot down at the vetting table entering Shadow into a pet section of a show. (nasty things were said about shadow due to his ferral coloring and chewed ears :(, so much so that she cried and demanded to go home. But we stayed the whole day and ended up having a ball meeting other pet bunny owners:) ).

So getting Sam a bunny of her own will give her the chance to enter him into the main show with No hang ups on looks and ears :!: :!: I don`t like the sounds of the ring on the leg, so he will be tattooed.

So now we have to wait and see what color. Sam wonts black, I like the black head and grey (black and white) body. Oh so stunning :!: :!:

Being a bit bigger than the 2 buns I have, its giving me time to get another indoor home too. So I`m debating on what sort to get. Mostly I`m thinking of seeing the petshop and putting my name down for the top wire part of a cage when the plastic bottom breaks. That way, I can built the house up more rather than outward. :wink:

I`m also interested in how your buns hop around on bare floors. My kitchen floor is polyurethane and bathroom has lino, they do not go there as they don`t like the floor, so they stay on the carpet.

The only thing holding us back from getting one now is that we are going on scout jamboree!! Some how, I don`t think I will get away with a bun camping with me 8) :!: :!: :cry:

bronie

Back