PDA

View Full Version : the Enderby Island rabbit

bunnymad
01-10-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi everyone.

I have decided to get a Enderby Island bunny :!:

I will be getting a baby male early next year :D to bond with my fixed male and unfixed female. I just hope the bonding goes well. When hes old enough he will be getting the snip :cry:

Ok, I`m not getting a rescue bun, but a "rare" classed breed here in new zealand and "very rare" outside of new zealand.

heres some reading on the breed :)

http://www.rarebitsandpieces.com/enderbyisland.htm

and

http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/enderbyrabbit.html

The coloring on them is amazing!!

bronie

luvabun
01-10-2004, 08:27 AM
What fab colouring!! An you should not feel guilty about getting a rare breeed as opposed to a rescue bun- don't want such a lovely creature to go the way of the Dido ( :?: :?: :oops: :?: ) Forgot what that extinct bird is called but its something like that.... :lol:
And thanks for the links - really interesting. Good luck

riaob1
01-10-2004, 08:43 AM
I think you meant Dodo but Dido I am sure some people would like to become exteict (she is a singer). lol

I love them bunnies - I want one lol they are very beautiful rabbits.

Denny
01-10-2004, 10:00 AM
oh wow they are gorgeous

have you a name in mind for him or are you going to wait until you get him

Pendragon
01-10-2004, 05:46 PM
That's really cool - very happy you are taking on New Zealand's only
home-grown breed of rabbit, and one that's far older than many others worldwide!

I hope you'll be able, via your new guy, to raise other people's awareness of them (and rabbits in general, of course).

They are extremely rare outside New Zealand... I think just a few are over in the USA... we have none here! Their main breeder who I think is Sitereh, is on one of the rare rabbit breeds mailing lists I'm a member of, so I get regular updates on them.

Look forward to hearing all about him when he arrives... an photos of course!

bunnymad
01-10-2004, 06:13 PM
:D Thanks

I have 2 rescue buns (Bugzee thanks to mums cat!! and Shadow due to his last owner releasing him onto the street!!)

I have no idea of a name. This bun is more for my daughter who got shot down at the vetting table entering Shadow into a pet section of a show. (nasty things were said about shadow due to his ferral coloring and chewed ears :(, so much so that she cried and demanded to go home. But we stayed the whole day and ended up having a ball meeting other pet bunny owners:) ).

So getting Sam a bunny of her own will give her the chance to enter him into the main show with No hang ups on looks and ears :!: :!: I don`t like the sounds of the ring on the leg, so he will be tattooed.

So now we have to wait and see what color. Sam wonts black, I like the black head and grey (black and white) body. Oh so stunning :!: :!:

Being a bit bigger than the 2 buns I have, its giving me time to get another indoor home too. So I`m debating on what sort to get. Mostly I`m thinking of seeing the petshop and putting my name down for the top wire part of a cage when the plastic bottom breaks. That way, I can built the house up more rather than outward. :wink:

I`m also interested in how your buns hop around on bare floors. My kitchen floor is polyurethane and bathroom has lino, they do not go there as they don`t like the floor, so they stay on the carpet.

The only thing holding us back from getting one now is that we are going on scout jamboree!! Some how, I don`t think I will get away with a bun camping with me 8) :!: :!: :cry:

bronie

Sage
02-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Oh they are just so beautiful, Good luck :)