• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hypnotising

Hi Gang,

Just wondering if any of you hypnotise your rabbits?

I don't have much information on this. I can do it myself but I have concerns over safety etc.

What is the general view on this?

Hello (Glad to hear Clio is doing so well :D )
I don't hypnotise the bunnies, I feel that as its a fear reaction to freeze and play dead it's a bit mean to do it to them. I do lie them on their backs (supported) if need be but not to hypnotise them. I don't like how quickly they come out of it, if your not prepared or paying enough attention a bunny could do some serious harm to itself.
Why do you not do it? Just out of nosyiness :D

Angela

I can do it and have had success with it... for a last resort to get meds in or to get that elusive toenail.

It just seems unnatural to me and so I don't like to do it. I worry that they are getting a head rush, or are terrified. I just wanted to ask about it to see what evidence there is that it does or doesn't do any harm.

Maybe they love it and my buns are deprived! I wish I could read their little minds.

KR
Andrea

I had my previous buns back teeth burred with a vet that uses that technique. He had a bad pastruella flare up at the time that would have made an aneathetic very risky. I haven't heard of any reports where the bun was injuried by it.

Tam

We do it with Tizzy as she gets a sticky bum and we need to clean her (she won't stop wriggling otherwise).

When we do it I cradle her and support her back while my OH does the fun cleaning bit :lol: :lol: , that way i can pay full attention to her in case she suddenly comes out of it or seems in distress (I can then react more quickly).

I do not really like to do it in case it distresses her, I have never had to try with my other three.

I have the same opinion as you really, if it is necessary for medical purposes (cleaning, giving medicine, etc) I do it as it is best they are kept clean or well but i would not do it for any other reason.

AmberUK said:
Whats hypnotising your bunnie?

:shock:

ooooh this sounds interesting to me... :shock:

ive read how to put them into the trance ... but it doesnt say how to get them out! :shock:

i woudlnt do this ...im too scared! lol :lol:

They come out if you put them right side up. They are never really that "far out of it". Careful because sometimes they twist and leap of it and can hurt themselves if they are high up. I tend to do it on the floor.
It does make giving meds and cutting nails easier but there is a lot of controversy surrounding it.
Some people say that it is a prey response and that the rabbit is actually petrified with fright (playing dead). I find it hard to believe that one of my buns would ever be petrified with fright around me but then I'm not an expert. Still they are very very relaxed with us. So I dunno. I only do it if I have to.

I have just seen a photo of my aunt's bunny in a trance like this.

My uncle is sitting on the floor with bunny laying lengthways down his legs having it's nails clipped!

The rabbit looks relaxed, don't know whether it is or not - but would have been handy to have known how to do it as Hoppy hated been picked up, so was very hard to do his nails, esp as they were black.

Holly Go-Lightly said:
It does make giving meds and cutting nails easier but there is a lot of controversy surrounding it.

I've never been in favour of giving meds to a bun lying on it's back, fluids could go down the wrong way. Just my opinion though :D

lol bob!
Cant say my bunny goes into a trance. I can sometimes get him to lay on his back on my lap but it doesnt last long.. as soon as i touch his tummy or feet he wriggles and i have to let him go.
Chris

bunnyhuggger said:
Holly Go-Lightly said:

I've never been in favour of giving meds to a bun lying on it's back, fluids could go down the wrong way. Just my opinion though :D

On a more serious note, i could not agree more with the above statement. It sounds down right dangerous to me!

Bob said:
bunnyhuggger said:
Holly Go-Lightly said:

On a more serious note, i could not agree more with the above statement. It sounds down right dangerous to me!

I find if you give a tiny drop and get tounge movement they are swallowing it down. If they don't respond than yes there is a risk it may go down the wrong tube!

This is also the case when you are giving fluids to an ill bunny, on their back or not, if there tounge doesn't move then the danger is it could go in the lungs.

Back