• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks ?

Dollymix

Young Bun
Wolfgang my Rex has red hocks with the fur worn of , it's not bad but it could get worse . He is on towels in his cage inside so I don't know how its happen? Any tips on getting it to come back ?

Wolfgang my Rex has red hocks with the fur worn of , it's not bad but it could get worse . He is on towels in his cage inside so I don't know how its happen? Any tips on getting it to come back ?

Rex's can be prone to getting sore hocks.

Have you seen a vet about it?

There can be several causes - long nails not kept trimmed short and immobility (perhaps due to age) are just a couple.

There's some info here as to why a rabbit would get sore hocks

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ge&q=rabbit ulcerative pododermatitis&f=false

The best substrate to keep Rexes on with sore hocks is a layer of very deep soft hay. I don't know whether that would be practical for you?

How old is Wolfgang? Once a Rex gets past around 1 year old, they often don't get really bad sore hocks if they haven't them before then. What I mean is, depending on his age, it may be something that remains relatively mild for him.

There's also some info here on the possible causes, but I don't think Wolfgang's hocks sound to be that bad just yet :)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

(warning - some graphic images in this link)

Hello,

Has Wolfgang been checked over by a Vet recently. Sore hocks can have several possible causes.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

The following link shows how Sore Hocks are graded according to severity

http://www.cunivetservice.com/docs/SoreHocks.2013.pdf

Rexes can have a predisposition to developing sore hocks, some breed lines are worse than others. Having kept Rex Rabbits for over 18 years I have found that if a Rex gets to about a year of age and they do not have any evidence of thinning fur on the plantar region of the back feet then they are less likely to have severe life-long problems. Although that is not to say that they will not have any problems at all. Rexes can also develop sore front feet, so this is something to be mindful of.

You say that Wolfgang has towels in his cage, how big is his cage ?

Rexes are also especially greedy Rabbits and it can be a real challenge to keep them at a healthy weight. Being overweight increases the risk of sore hocks developing.

Personally I'd start off by consulting a Rabbit Savvy Vet so Wolfgang can be thoroughly examined to see if there are any underlying mobility issues. How Sore Hocks are treated/managed depends on the actual cause of the condition and it's severity.

Good luck :)

Just a thought - what does he 'run' on when he's not in this cage?

The towels aren't bad for sore hocks, but maybe it's something he's running on that's making them worse?

Our girls seemed to be prone to sore hocks but since we've had them on a thick (and I mean thick!) layer of hay both in their run and on the floor of the shed (they're outdoor bunnies) they've been absolutely fine.

Towels could possibly cause friction, depending on what they're made from.

I initially used a vet prescribed cream on our girls when they first got sore hocks, but they got very upset when I tried to apply it so didn't bother in the end and they healed fine. Luckily, they were only furless and red - weren't bloody and sore like some can get if left untreated. I did ask if I could use sudocream/sudocrem (not sure of spelling) but my vet said no because it can be toxic if too much is ingested.

Best to get your bunny seen to be a decent vet to ensure he's not in pain and then if possible house him on hay, like ours are and like MightyMax has also said; it works a treat!

Our girls seemed to be prone to sore hocks but since we've had them on a thick (and I mean thick!) layer of hay both in their run and on the floor of the shed (they're outdoor bunnies) they've been absolutely fine.

Towels could possibly cause friction, depending on what they're made from.

I initially used a vet prescribed cream on our girls when they first got sore hocks, but they got very upset when I tried to apply it so didn't bother in the end and they healed fine. Luckily, they were only furless and red - weren't bloody and sore like some can get if left untreated. I did ask if I could use sudocream/sudocrem (not sure of spelling) but my vet said no because it can be toxic if too much is ingested.

Best to get your bunny seen to be a decent vet to ensure he's not in pain and then if possible house him on hay, like ours are and like MightyMax has also said; it works a treat!

I have found it to be the case too Angie.

Interesting your vet said no to Sudocrem, as my own vet has advised it. I've never used the stuff and wouldn't anyway, but there are lots of alternatives to Sudocrem if you need them.

Back