• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing for an indoor bunny?

jredk04

Warren Scout
I'm planning to buy a dog crate for my very first house rabbit.

I would appreciate your advice...

Would 48" X 30" X 33" be a good size, it's the biggest one i can afford (cost circ £50).

The cage would be situated in a bunny proof room, with the possibility, in the future of the cage door being left open so the bun can have the run of the room, unsupervised.

I'm also planning to get a pet carrier 61cm x 40cm x 38cm high to have as a secondary 'home' (to contain litter tray, hay etc) when bun is exercising (or having fun) downstairs. (cost £15)

I'm quite nervous about all this as budgets are limited. I know i've to pass a house visit before being allowed a rescue bunny so i'm hoping to get things right.

Really appreciate your help!

Julie

PS Thanks to all those who have posted their experiences and recommendations on my pet insurance question.
Having read all your posts I think the best situation for me to a) ask about the bun's health history (some rescuers do health checks and include x weeks of pet insurance) and b) to insure for the first year and review after that.

Hi there :wave:

Click on the sites below "bronie" to look at how I have made Bugzee`s and Shadow`s home bigger :wink:

I have used a towel and spring clothes pegs to pin the towel up and to take their weight. It works really well when they wont a bit of space for themselves :) And they get washed often. They tend to chew them a bit, but hay, I get them from secondhand shops at a very low cost!! :D

I let my buns in the lounge and let them tell me where they wonted their toilet.

You will have to post photos of your new additions when they arrive :D

Hope I have helped a bit.

bronie

Bugzee and Shadow are v lucky buns. Good idea using a towel to give them more space.

I definitely will post my pics when i get my bun. don't hold your breath though. if you've seen my previous posts then you'll be aware that my hubby hasn't been that keen to date. however, he has agreed to me getting the cage/equip which means i can get a house inspection underway. At the moment timescales are AFTER Christmas for the bun.

Perhaps i should go for the next size down at 42" X 28" X 30" THE 42" CAGE IS SUITABLE FOR 41KG / 9DOG (LABRADOR SIZE DOG). I've not got a huge house, and i'm planning on just the one bun (....hope the crate alone doesn't freak hubby out!)

Building a shelf sounds like a good idea. a perfect hiding/storage place.

Thanks for the tip on the plywood, hadn't thought about that. And if the only downside to the crate is the cleaning out, well that's good enough for me.

cheers for your posts. will keep you posted on any developments...

I got a crate (sorry I forget what size) to move our 4 cats when we moved house. It worked out well but it didn't fit in internal doors so they ended up spending the moving time in the garden. So its worth checking if you want to move it about the house.

Ours came with a tray in the bottom which was plastic, it also folded flat. Its also worth checking how they open as you don't want a ramp made of caging as bunnies can trap their feet in them (like a cattle grid) a door that opens I would think is safer.

Back