• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chewing bark

Griffski

Warren Scout
hi - just a quickie but my 'intermittent stasis' bun Spartacus went out in the rain to chew bark this morning (they are fairweather bunnies and decline the opportunity to free range on grass on wet days) - might this be a sign something's up ? He was eating hay later so no crisis and I'll limit him to dry food for a couple of days just in case .. but just wondered...

It's difficult to tell. I think it would probably depend on how keen he is to chew bark normally. It's true that sometimes when a rabbit's tummy doesn't feel right, he will crave certain foods to improve things. Bark or cardboard could certainly fall into that category.

However, if Spartacus is normally very keen on chewing bark, I wouldn't be too concerned. My rabbits would definitely sometimes go out in the rain to chew bark :)

I would just observe him more closely over the next few days, as I think you're doing anyway :)

thanks omi . he's fine tonight:) just seemed odd behaviour (they opt out of freeranging and grass access for days if miserable weather). defcon level raised for the next few days:)

hi - just a quickie but my 'intermittent stasis' bun Spartacus went out in the rain to chew bark this morning (they are fairweather bunnies and decline the opportunity to free range on grass on wet days) - might this be a sign something's up ? He was eating hay later so no crisis and I'll limit him to dry food for a couple of days just in case .. but just wondered...

Poor lad - he's probably thinking he can't even go out for a mouthful of bark without you limiting his food rations :lol:

Seriously, I hope he'll be OK :)

Poor lad - he's probably thinking he can't even go out for a mouthful of bark without you limiting his food rations :lol:

Seriously, I hope he'll be OK :)

lol .. am just decreasing his herbs and limiting to dill (his favourite) so it might seem like a win win for him:) he was bouncing about this morning (no rain here for a change) so all well...
thanks MM

lol .. am just decreasing his herbs and limiting to dill (his favourite) so it might seem like a win win for him:) he was bouncing about this morning (no rain here for a change) so all well...
thanks MM

Glad to hear good news :thumb:

Back