• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

STILL HAVING PROBLEMS - PLEASE HELP!

sammy123

Young Bun
I wrote this on here a few days ago "I'm really concerned about my new bunny Brandy. We picked her up from the farm where she was living and took her away from her mum and brothers this Saturday. Its now day 3 and she seems soooo scared of humans, stroking her is ok. We have tried a number of times to pick her up, but she really struggles and we sence that she really hates it, the few times we have tried she back off into a corner So at the moment we dont feel confident to pick her up, she scared of any noises in the house. She has had a good look around out lounge and seams to like it - we have brought lots of lovely toys - that she just not intrested in. I suppose she has never experience any of this before and we just hopying she settles in ok! Does anyone have any advice for a very worried Brandy Lover?"

The situation is still the same, my partner is saying to me that she seams like a wild rabbit - because she is so scared, its becoming a nightmare, becuase we can pick her up, i have to put her into her carrier to move her upstairs, just so i can do a bit of vacumming downstairs. She hates going into it, and is very reluctant, it took us 2 hours last night just to get her back into it - weve tried giving her treats for when she comes up to us - she doesn't want to know. My partner is now worried that she isn't the rabbit for us! Well im gutted cause i really want her to trust us, and i would love to be able to cuddle her, or do anything just to get her to calm down, and realise that were not going to hurt her.

I'm really stuck.

You need to spend some time around her without trying to pick her up, so she doesn't automatically go into fear mode as soon as you walk into the room. It'll take a while to get her to calm down and trust you. Just try sitting in the same room as her and completely ignoring her. Read a book out loud, or just talk to yourself, so she gets used to the sound of your voice. If she comes over to investigate, don't try to stroke her, just leave her to it. Let her sniff and climb over you.

When it's dinner time, call out that it's dinner time. She'll soon learn to associate the words and your voice with food. This is always a turning point in bunny relations. Food is a rabbit's best friend and once she realises it's you that's bringing it, she's going to be a lot happier to see you. When you go in to visit her you can take in little treats for her, just a couple of blueberries or something (not too much as she's still young) and she'll see your visits as something to look forward to rather than fear.

When it's time to put her to bed, or you need to put her in her carry case, try calling out 'Bedtime' or 'Carry case' while you usher her in. She'll come to associate those words with what it is you want and start running into the carry case before you need to pick her up (hopefully). Some bunnies don't get the hang of it, but of mine the ones who hate being picked up the most are the ones who trained up the best.

Also, it might be worth limiting the area she gets to play in. If she doesn't want to be around you, then giving her more space to play in will only give her more opportunity to avoid you.

3 days isn't very long. One of the rescue home sheets I looked at the other day quoted 6 weeks to get the person/bunnie bond in place and thats with lots of work. Its worth looking at www.rabbit.org and www.rabbitrehome.org.uk in the care sections and the stories of new bunnies brought home and the work it takes. Remember your bunnie is only a baby, which in itself is kinda scarey to suddenly be away from home but also rabbits are normally prey animals so it takes more than with cats and dogs to show them that your there for them and will look after them.

I know what you mean about having to move them to hover. I have the same problem. Plus I just had to take him for his jabs and hes still narked with me from that. I hand feed my bunnie as much as I can and sit in the room reading to get him used to me. But these things do take time! A bunnie bond wasn't built in a day (oh how I wish!)

Looks like she's still needing time to settle in. Can you maybe use a carpet sweeper instead of a vacuum cleaner (less noise) to begin with. Other sounds will affect her too like tv, phone, washing machine, microwave, stereo, etc. Some of these emit noises that we humans can't hear but she can.

Have you tried carrying her without the carrier, just in your arms, held really securely? Maybe if you leave the carrier near her from now on so she can go and explore it in her own time. Make it comfy for her, put some treats in for her to find. It will also give her someplace 'safe' to hide, should she feel the need. Try giving her a safe soft toy to cuddle up to and/or a scrunched up tshirt with your 'smell' on it so she can investigate it in her own time, put some treats or food on that too. Don't make any sudden noises or movements when she's about, that would really scare her.

She'll also sense that you are not confident in handling her, but you're going to have to take it slowly and show her love and affection in a gently way, speaking to her softly and respecting her fear of the situation she's in. As you already know, all this experience is completely new to her, but with patience it should pay off. Just give her time, three days isn't any time at all. She IS the rabbit for you if you give her the chance

You could also try some of the Bach Flower remedies in her drinking water.

Hope this helps :D

Don't worry, it takes time.

When we got Lilo, we couldn't even come near her the first week. After about two weeks she would take treats from my hand but she wouldn't let me pet her. After about a month she would let me touch her head for a couple of seconds, then she would run away.

Now she demands at least 30 minutes of serious grooming every day. Stick in there and don't force it. Let her out of her cage and just sit on the floor and let her come to you.

Thank you so much everyone - i really appreciate the help and advice you have given me. Im going to spend lots of time with her tonight giving her lots of strokes and love (as i always try to do).

Thanks

Sam and Brandy
xxx

I don't think you can really expect to see much of an improvement in 3 days, especially if you've been trying to chase her into a carrier for some of this time! :)
You really need to get her used to just being around you. Maybe you could limit the amount of freedom she is being allowed, so its not as overwhelming for her. The suggestion of leaving the carrier out for her to explore is also a good one, Evo has access to his carrier at all times, and therefore isn't as scared of being in it when we take him to the vets etc.

AmberUK said:
3 days isn't very long. One of the rescue home sheets I looked at the other day quoted 6 weeks to get the person/bunnie bond in place and thats with lots of work.

It took at least 2 weeks before Sheffield would let you get a hand within about 2 feet of him without biting, scratching, barking, thumping and generally carrying on...

sammy123 said:
giving her lots of strokes

:no: , back to basics again if she's still scared. Lie on the floor with a book or magazine (not a personal stereo though, tried that and bun bit through the earphone lead, instant silence!), ignore her, don't look at her directly and let her come to you. Might not work for the first few times and you get really bored, but persevere! It works!

It does work. Eventually they get fed up that you're ignoring them and start headbutting you for attention. Of course, when you give them that attention they'll probably run away again, but I think that's more to teach you a lesson than that they're afraid.

Hiya Sammy 123 - Bunsters what they like eh! - don't they just always give you the worries in some way or another!!

Loads of brill help on here already for you - but just my thoughts which may be of help are that perhaps the amount of space as already mentioned here may be too overwhelming for your bunny initially.

One of my bunnies Cagney was a rescue bun and struggled to come to terms with being Free Range - when I could see she was struggling - i.e I couldn't get near her we went back to basics and gave her the security of a pen she could call her own space - I didn't even try to pick her up for some weeks and even now she is the kind of bunny that really just loves to be a ground level and fussed which is fine with me - except I now seem to spend all my time on my knees to Bunnies - whats new I hear everyone say!!

Hope this helps and good luck with the bunny - just takes a little time but in the end I' sure it will all be worth it.

Hang on in there!!

Hi there

I agree with everything above.

It takes time and your time ignoring Brandy :D

keep us posted on how your getting on :)

bronie

I spent alot of time sitting on the floor the first few weeks of having Mubby , its much better if he comes to you when he feels safe to do so rather than scaring him by chasing him!! :D it took a few weeks for him to trust me totally but when he started to it was a great feeling :D

even now , mubbys 4 months old now and he still doesnt like being chased to pick up and trust me i learned after chasing him round sofas for hours!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hes fine being picked up but i usually sit on the floor with him and he comes to play and after we've had a stroke for a while and a play he climbs up and i scoop him and into bed , no fuss...

my tip is let him come to you , dont chase him , :D

Rallybunny said:
Evo has access to his carrier at all times, and therefore isn't as scared of being in it when we take him to the vets etc.

ooooh thats a good idea :D ill have to leave it open in the room so he can play in it :D

Thank you everybody, so so so so so much for all your advice i am trying all of it as of last night. i have brought a pool to put her in to start off with, though i think she will miss the run of my lounge. But as you all have said i really need to get back to basics.

I must just say a HUGE! thank you to "Mubby" and his parents. You have given so much help without you even knowing. I found your web-site off here quite a few ago before i got Brandy, and thought i would have a quick look only because he looks identical to Brandy they could be sister and brother - they are sooo alike. But found so much advice and help. i made my own box with the hanging treats, i brought a pool, but i havent been too good with that, i feel like im being really nice letting her have the run of downstairs! :wink: but as you have all said, maybe introduce her slowly to it. So to cut a long story short THANK YOU Mubby and parents. xxx

sammy123 said:
Thank you everybody, so so so so so much for all your advice i am trying all of it as of last night. i have brought a pool to put her in to start off with, though i think she will miss the run of my lounge. But as you all have said i really need to get back to basics.

I must just say a HUGE! thank you to "Mubby" and his parents. You have given so much help without you even knowing. I found your web-site off here quite a few ago before i got Brandy, and thought i would have a quick look only because he looks identical to Brandy they could be sister and brother - they are sooo alike. But found so much advice and help. i made my own box with the hanging treats, i brought a pool, but i havent been too good with that, i feel like im being really nice letting her have the run of downstairs! :wink: but as you have all said, maybe introduce her slowly to it. So to cut a long story short THANK YOU Mubby and parents. xxx

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww your very welcome Sammy!! ( for whatever we have done! lol ) :D :D :D

well the pool lasted about 2 weeks!! just to give him his own little space where he was safe but could still see what was going on!! :lol:

he has the run of the flat when im home now , so hes a happy little buns! thinks he owns the place! lol :lol:

ive really bonded with Mubby now and i know all his moods and strops!! :lol: but its great feeling that way!! that we connect! lol
( my bf says this is coz my hair looks like his floppy ears!! lol )

well im learning more and more along the way!! glad to see my little bit of knowledge is useful to others :D

:lol: :D :lol: :D

Back