• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible GI stasis? What do I need to watch for?

TheTigerThief

Warren Scout
This afternoon when I returned home, I went to check up on my rabbits as I always do. I chopped some apple for them since they haven't had it in a while and I thought they would like a little treat, but when I got to their pen Cleo wasn't running to the gate to greet me like she always does. I found her lying down upstairs in her hutch. When I opened it, she lifted her head but otherwise didn't really move. I tried offering her the apple, but she wasn't interested which is unusual for her. I went and got some hay to see if she'd take that, but she wasn't interested in it either. I'm a bit concerned as this is really out of character for her. I think she seems to be showing signs of GI stasis? I don't think her belly is swollen, if it is it's only slightly and it doesn't feel hard. I'm going to monitor her for the next few hours, but is there anything particular I need to watch for? Would massaging her belly help at all? I've been out since this morning, so I don't know how long exactly it's been since she last pooped... Do I wait an hour or two and see if she goes? At what point do I need to take her to the vet? I'm really sorry for all the questions, I've never had a rabbit with possible GI stasis before. :?

Many thing will result if a bunny not eating and wanting to move around. Even if it is stasis, your bunny may need fluids and pain meds so I recommend taking Cleo to a vet experienced with rabbits as soon as possible.

In the circumstances you describe i.e. your rabbit not eating and you not knowing when she last ate or pooed, plus unusual behaviour, I would want her examined by a vet. She may need pain relief, gut medication and fluids, but it is important that she is examined first. Also, GI Stasis is easier to treat if you catch it early.

I hope she feels better soon.

This afternoon when I returned home, I went to check up on my rabbits as I always do. I chopped some apple for them since they haven't had it in a while and I thought they would like a little treat, but when I got to their pen Cleo wasn't running to the gate to greet me like she always does. I found her lying down upstairs in her hutch. When I opened it, she lifted her head but otherwise didn't really move. I tried offering her the apple, but she wasn't interested which is unusual for her. I went and got some hay to see if she'd take that, but she wasn't interested in it either. I'm a bit concerned as this is really out of character for her. I think she seems to be showing signs of GI stasis? I don't think her belly is swollen, if it is it's only slightly and it doesn't feel hard. I'm going to monitor her for the next few hours, but is there anything particular I need to watch for? Would massaging her belly help at all? I've been out since this morning, so I don't know how long exactly it's been since she last pooped... Do I wait an hour or two and see if she goes? At what point do I need to take her to the vet? I'm really sorry for all the questions, I've never had a rabbit with possible GI stasis before. :?
Hi.
She really needs to be seen by a rabbit vet ASAP. It does sound like gut stasis and the sooner treatment begins, the faster she should recover. (As OMI has said)
We recommend a rabbit savvy vet as rabbit have a completely different anatomy to dogs and cats and are more complex to treat effectively.

A website you can use to find a recommended rabbit vet in your area: https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...-rabbit-owners/copy_of_county-or-city/england

(that is the UK list)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I haven't time for a long reply atm TT, but here's some links that I find useful. They might help you judge what to do, and when:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.php

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

http://www.melbournerabbitclinic.com/melbournerabbi/stasis.html

At the first sniff of Stasis I also give Infacol (and if no blockage, tummy rubs). You may find an attitude of being dead set against using it on here, and vets don't know much about it either, but so many of us have use it to good effect:

Infacol.co.uk

You're best port of call is to consult a rabbit savvy vet who will be able to measure blood glucose and take temperature.

Sorry to hear that Cleo is feeling poorly :cry: I expect that you have already consulted a Vet by now. It is always best to do so if a Rabbit is refusing food and behaving in an unusual way. As OMI pointed out obtaining prompt treatment for gut stasis makes for a better prognosis.

For future reference these links may be useful

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/emergencies/

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that Cleo will soon be feeling better x

Back