• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red Ants...?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Do they pose a risk?
The girls are indoors buns so would only come into contact if allowed access outside with me.
I let them out earlier and found 5 large red ants nests full of eggs. Obviously can't put down poisonous stuff etc because of buns and mentally I can not pour boiling water on them.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Are you thinking about stinging?

They do sting and the sting is more painful than other black ants, but I think it's only a problem to humans if they have an allergy problem with them (similar to some people with bee stings).

I would not be concerned about them stinging the rabbits. I think you'll probably find that the girls would leave them well alone. Our chickens love finding ants' nests (of any type). They must be receiving many stings, but will sytematically work their way through a nest consuming both the ants and their eggs.

They do sting and the sting is more painful than other black ants, but I think it's only a problem to humans if they have an allergy problem with them (similar to some people with bee stings).

I would not be concerned about them stinging the rabbits. I think you'll probably find that the girls would leave them well alone. Our chickens love finding ants' nests (of any type). They must be receiving many stings, but will sytematically work their way through a nest consuming both the ants and their eggs.

I think you have your answer DP! :lol:

Yes the stinging. I remember as a child I would be stung and I'd have a serious reaction. I tend to avoid which made relaying our patio difficult.

I shall not worry about the girls around them in that case. I wish I still had chickens - they're great at that kinda pest control ;)

You can't lay down on grass anywhere on this planet without coming in contact with ants, rabbits evolved with that, completly normal part of the environment. They are domesticated only for a very short time now and can deal with a lot more than many think, thank god they can't read all those "dangerous plants" lists on the internet...:lol:

Ok, there are some nasty species, like fire ants in America, and I'm sure Australia has something special to offer too, but I'm not aware there's anything dangerous in Europe in that regard.

[emoji38] I have been broody for some Road Island Reds. OH hasn't said no, but we don't have the best Garden for them ;)

I have one, called Rusty :thumb: Wonderful breed :) She is more intelligent and more friendly than the others.

I have one, called Rusty :thumb: Wonderful breed :) She is more intelligent and more friendly than the others.
I had a flock of 24 when I was 3years and up.
When I was three my grandad got me a special ex battery hen - no feathers at all (the others always had some when they came to us). I called her Sexy Susan [emoji38] :oops:

I had a flock of 24 when I was 3years and up.
When I was three my grandad got me a special ex battery hen - no feathers at all (the others always had some when they came to us). I called her Sexy Susan [emoji38] :oops:

How lovely :love:

Back