• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loss Of Use in Hind Legs

bunnyhop

New Kit
Hi
My bunny (Perkins, Brown Lop) about 2 months ago started to slowly lose the use of his back legs. He started to drag them and I often found himself 'hopping' around using his front legs with his back legs flopped to the side.

I took him to the vet and they gave him a series of 3 steroid anti-inflammatory injections and his improvement was amazing, but they were not completely sure what the problem is, but suggested the following:
· A trauma – he could have been kicked by his mum, but if this was the case, she would expect it to be getting better not worse.
· Could have been born with it and it is a form of Paralysis, which is getting worse as he ages..
· An infection oh his spine. - possibly EC

After cage rest and a period of quite a few proper 'bunnyhops'. he has deterioated again. On Monday, I took him to the vets and I am now giving him some medication for a week (I think this is some liquid medication which he takes orally and which they use in worming cats & dogs), and then I take him back next week and he will probably be x-rayed. He has not been tested for EC as yet, but I will ask if they will give him a blood test - but as I understand it, if this is what he has, they can treat the parasite, but prob not the damage which has already been done. The vet also said that he had a slight head tilt, which I had not noticed before, so think this is a fairly recent condition.

He has always eaten very well, goes to the toilet well, is very alert in every other way and stands his own ground and has a very good relationship with his pal (Oscar) who grooms him and snuggles up next to him. We have adapted the hutch/run so he has soft flooring to protect his legs/side if he pulls himself him along.

Basically, I was just wondering if anybody has any advice, similar experiences or issues I should raise with the vet.

Any feedback would be appreciated as I am worried sick about him and want to do what is best for him. (He is only 5 months old).
:?

mmmmmmmmm

I knew a dog that had a cart made up for him. His hind legs and lower body were supported in a hammock which was hooked up to a frame with sturdy wheels so he could get around during the day without suffering fur loss and drag burns.

Maybe this could be a option for your bun. :)

I hope the outlook for bun is good.

bronie

I am not sure if it is related to your buns ailments but does sound similar. read the link that Pendragon posted in
Rabbit care - titled 'internet saves rabbits lives - please read'. there is a web link that is very informative on 'floppy rabbit syndrome'.

hope it helps

Thanks for your emails....
I read the article suggested a while ago and just re-read it now. I will certainly take it into the vets on Monday, along with other ressearch I have found. Perkins seems healthy in every other way - it is just his back legs which let him down, but he races around (when I let him as I try to restrict his exercise), and he jumps in the air and follows me around - it is all just a bit more wobbly than most.

If Perkins loses the full use of his limbs - I may have to test out my DIY skills!

As you know, Perkins has not been right for a while now and he was deteriorating this last week, so I took him to the vets. Unfortunately, after a new medication and further investigation, he was put to sleep today.

Perkins had some x-rays and basically he had a kink in his spine which probably had been caused by a trauma. The main prob was between his front leg/shoulder blades which I found surprising as it was his hind legs which were paralysed. My friend was stroking him on Saturday and he seemed to show discomfort in this area, but neither the vet or myself saw any reaction when we felt him there, so hopefully this means he was not in pain at all times.

I am very sad but also relieved that he is not suffering anymore- he was a very much loved bunny who I shall miss lots.

Oh I am sorry about your bunnie ;-(

He sounded like a very brave little soul, I am sure where ever he is that his bouncing as high as he can!

I'm sorry I didn't notice this thread before today...

bunnyhop, please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of sweet little Perkins, bless his soul :cry:
Sending lots of hugs to you and Oscar at this very sad time.

Oh Dear Bunnyhop, so sorry to hear your very sad news :cry:

We are thinking of you, love and best wishes
Adele and the Sanctuary bunnies

So sorry to hear that Perkins has gone. I am glad you feel he is not suffering anymore and is now at Rainbow Bridge...whole and well and with the VERY best of company...all our babies

hearts_floating_around_heart_md_wht.gif

i,m sorry to hear about your bunny .
My first rabbit "chico" had something very similar . He lost the use of his back legs after banging himself against his run when he saw a cat in the garden . Sadly chico had to be pts as the damage was non reversible . He had fractured his spine and also severed the nerves to his back legs . He also became incontinent etc . We tried several things at the vets hoping that the damage would repair to a certain extent but sadly it didn,t :( . I still miss him :( - he was only 2 year old when I lost him :(

Hi all

I am new. I have helped people with finding rabbits for companions and new homes for rabbits. Hardest thing is losing our dearest loves. But from some of my experiences, the rabbits I helped find homes and their parents with help of vets the rabbits were able to walk, run and even hop again. Now not in all cases. It can takes months to do but maricles do happen. Somtimes, bunnies may never use their rear legs again but there are wheelchairs for that. You only buy it once, can cost a bit but shop around - used ones. But my meaning u still have the same bunny pulling and loving u as much as before. Sure it's different, but they are still with u. There is even a rescue not far from me that finds homes for bunnies using wheelchairs. Other disabled bunnies I read about here have hopped and ran a little differently than other buns.

Now my point, u don't know the outcome with hind legs with rabbits, especially because their backs/bones are fragile. So it scarey but it does not mean it will be death to your love. TlC, time and a lot of care equals time with your bunny. So faith and most of all, if a vet u don't know and they say to put bunny bunny down, think about a second opinion. But if u know and have confidence than do what u know is right. One bunny I rehomed told them which vet to take to. Only i knew who would say put down, that bunny is walking, running, and still alive today. OK everyone try to take a breath healing takes along time and faith. I hope this is for all your buns. And so sorry about the loss of those who lost your loves.

But I am in your ball park too. You I see today has the same problem. Woke up to daisy dragging her, which she never did. will see the vet tomorrow. She is 5 and am as scared as all of u. So all of my prays are with u. Know it get, as said before, I seen it with all the bunnies I found homes for. And I am going through to it with my own.

God all u for caring about underrabbits.
Rabbitlady

Back