• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fur pulling and biting open tummy

EmmaPippin

New Kit
hi guys

I'm seeing lots of similar problems so not thinking I can find any answers to this but my rabbit somehow opened her tummy a few months ago. I thought maybe she caught it on some proofing wire around the garden and so went round making sure it was all trimmed back properly. it heeled with meds and cleaning only to reopen a month later and require surgery. no problem found during surgery. she chewed open her stiches and had to have surgery again. over a month on e still have a kitten collar on which shes managed to chew and gain access to the area again chewing open!!

I'm at a loss, can anyone help. ive put her body suit back on and ordered a new cone but I'm just not knowing what to do. shes a free roaming neutered 3 year old girl living with her neutered brother. they have acess to plants and grass in the garden so we are now going to leave her in the run without garden access to see if the irritations something shes eating but I'm not holding out any hope. when I adopted her she was living solo pulling hair off her back but less than a year old as was thought to be lonely. when reunited with her brother we have had 2 years of no problems so I'm thinking t could be stress and don't know how to remedy it.

any help is much appreciated

thanks you

hi guys

I'm seeing lots of similar problems so not thinking I can find any answers to this but my rabbit somehow opened her tummy a few months ago. I thought maybe she caught it on some proofing wire around the garden and so went round making sure it was all trimmed back properly. it heeled with meds and cleaning only to reopen a month later and require surgery. no problem found during surgery. she chewed open her stiches and had to have surgery again. over a month on e still have a kitten collar on which shes managed to chew and gain access to the area again chewing open!!

I'm at a loss, can anyone help. ive put her body suit back on and ordered a new cone but I'm just not knowing what to do. shes a free roaming neutered 3 year old girl living with her neutered brother. they have acess to plants and grass in the garden so we are now going to leave her in the run without garden access to see if the irritations something shes eating but I'm not holding out any hope. when I adopted her she was living solo pulling hair off her back but less than a year old as was thought to be lonely. when reunited with her brother we have had 2 years of no problems so I'm thinking t could be stress and don't know how to remedy it.

thanks you

Poor Bunny :cry:

Not sure if these links are of any help

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Selfmutilation.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/Self_mutilation_rabbits.htm

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/self-injury.html

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.562.7981&rep=rep1&type=pdf

hi guys

thanks you

Hi Emma and welcome to the Forum :wave:

You've probably already seen this long thread?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...erious-case-of-Pippin-s-fur-pulling-continues

...... and it goes back to previous threads which you may like to search.

Your vet could also trial Gabapentin if he thinks it's appropriate. Maria Kubiak, rabbit vet, said this:

I use tramadol quite frequently in rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas with pain that is not controlled by non-steroidals like metacam, or where NSAIDs can't be used due to other health issues. It works well to control soft tissue pain, less well for bony pain and rarely causes sedation and I've had no adverse reactions. Doses required for pain relief in bunnies are much higher than in cats and dogs.
Gabapentin I use only for nerve-damage related pain so far less frequently but has seemed to give some relief in a number of these cases.

Gabapentin warning

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Neurolpetic/gabapent_effects.pdf

It's an intractable problem and you have my sympathies ... Good luck and please stay on board :)

Back