• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Henry :(

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I decided that it was about time that we got Henry registered at our vets so we booked him & Bea in for a general check up, weigh and nail trim with one of the nurses. He was very well behaved and all seemed fine until we got him home half an hour ago. He won't eat anything, he's letting me stroke him (which is unusual!) and he seems very on edge :( The vet visit obviously stressed him out more than I thought...
Is this normal for some bunnies? Am I best just leaving him alone to calm down? Any ideas how long it may last?
Xxx

I decided that it was about time that we got Henry registered at our vets so we booked him & Bea in for a general check up, weigh and nail trim with one of the nurses. He was very well behaved and all seemed fine until we got him home half an hour ago. He won't eat anything, he's letting me stroke him (which is unusual!) and he seems very on edge :( The vet visit obviously stressed him out more than I thought...
Is this normal for some bunnies? Am I best just leaving him alone to calm down? Any ideas how long it may last?
Xxx

Sorry Roxy. But yes, some bunnies can refuse all food when they are stressed. I would leave him 2/3 hours and see how he is once he's settled back in.

I would leave some herbs and food around to nibble, but expect that Bea might eat most of it for a while.

Keep calm. You don't want him picking up on your worry.

I guess he got a clean bill of health?

It does sound stress related. Joey refused food post vets once but he was back to his greedy self within a few hours - I hope Henry is too

Sorry Roxy. But yes, some bunnies can refuse all food when they are stressed. I would leave him 2/3 hours and see how he is once he's settled back in.

I would leave some herbs and food around to nibble, but expect that Bea might eat most of it for a while.

Keep calm. You don't want him picking up on your worry.

I guess he got a clean bill of health?

He seems a little better already. He's still not eating but he's not hiding anymore and he's cuddling Bea. His breathing seems more normal too! He's a very nervy bun so I guess it was to be expected!
Yes everything was fine :D They are both a nice weight and teeth look good on both too. He was stuffing his face before the visit too so I think he will be ok. I just don't like scaring him!

He seems a little better already. He's still not eating but he's not hiding anymore and he's cuddling Bea. His breathing seems more normal too! He's a very nervy bun so I guess it was to be expected!
Yes everything was fine :D They are both a nice weight and teeth look good on both too. He was stuffing his face before the visit too so I think he will be ok. I just don't like scaring him!

I find that on the whole, rabbits get used to travel pretty OK after a while. Going to the vet is a bit different, especially with being handled for nails etc.

I'm glad he's seeming a bit less stressed. We have to be cruel to be kind :)

I've had my rabbits 5+ years now. It's only really been in the last year or so that each of them has not hidden away and refused food for a couple of hours after returning. Even now they all pant dreadfully the whole time. Tan now has examinations every three months and yet she is the worst still, so much so that she drools :(

I wouldn't be concerned. I now just leave them to it, checking on them every now and again obviously.

Poor Henry :( I hate seeing buns strss ed after vet visits. Rosie and Cody wouldn't eat for a few hours after vet trips but Oliver goes straight to the hay bales as soon as he gets in ! I bring hay bales and coriander for him on his vet trips now.

Poor Henry :( I hate seeing buns strss ed after vet visits. Rosie and Cody wouldn't eat for a few hours after vet trips but Oliver goes straight to the hay bales as soon as he gets in ! I bring hay bales and coriander for him on his vet trips now and heceats them in his carrier on the way home.

Back