• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making the right choice

Bertieflop

New Kit
Hi
I hope I have posted this in the right section.

I am really struggling with my current situation and I don't currently have anybody to talk through my options with.

I currently have 3 rabbits a pair and a single
Our circumstances are about to change and I don't think we are going to be able to afford to keep them all if any of them.

I don't want to have to give them up it breaks my heart but we just can't afford the vet trips anymore we do have insurance but it doesn't cover the vet trips that are below the excess and we've had a lot of them.

Today my heart sunk even further as Iv had to take another one to the vet as she had a small fit this morning she is well in herself but she needs to have a blood test. Have started panacure as preventative incase it's ec

I just want to cry

So sorry that you find yourself in this situation. I hope things improve for you, in the meantime would your vets be happy to set up a payment plan for you, just a thought. Hugs for you xxx

Hi
I hope I have posted this in the right section.

I am really struggling with my current situation and I don't currently have anybody to talk through my options with.

I currently have 3 rabbits a pair and a single
Our circumstances are about to change and I don't think we are going to be able to afford to keep them all if any of them.

I don't want to have to give them up it breaks my heart but we just can't afford the vet trips anymore we do have insurance but it doesn't cover the vet trips that are below the excess and we've had a lot of them.

Today my heart sunk even further as Iv had to take another one to the vet as she had a small fit this morning she is well in herself but she needs to have a blood test. Have started panacure as preventative incase it's ec

I just want to cry

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

There are several charities that will support people like yourself -

Blue Cross and P.D.S.A. being two of them.

Do contact them and make yourself known.
Your rabbits need the treatment, and if you can't afford it, then they should be able to help you.

Good luck xx

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation, hopefully you can get some help, as others have mentioned. How is your poorly bun today? x

Thank you all. Poorly rabbit is generally well apart from the small fit yesterday. She Was grumpy when she got home but is happy enough this morning.

I will have a look and see if we are close enough to a blue cross as I know the pdsa won't be able to help us.

We have been to the vets multiple times per month with at least one of them in last 4/5 months we just not in the position anymore to be able to do it.

It seems like a difficult situation. Contact the PDSA anyway. Sometimes they can offer services for a minimum donation..although that may just be on routine things like neutering. Also if you have any longterm meds for your rabbits you can get a prescription from your vets and order it online for a fraction of the price. Also as mentioned ask your vets if you can set up a payment plan. My vets are really understanding and often let me build up a "tab" to pay off at a later date if I'm struggling with the cost of treatments. I've not had to do it for more than a week but it's a massive weight off my mind that I have the option.
If worst come to the worst, you could maybe rehome your single bun. This may be very difficult, though, so bear in mind that you may have him/her for a long while.
Good luck. Keep us updated.

When I had my two bridge buns,I used a private vet.My niece still stayed with me.They were her rabbits originally,but I looked after them financially.I had more money at that time.Things change My niece moved out,the rabbits stayed.I then qualified for the PDSA ,you have to get some housing benefit /council tax benefit to qualify.They contacted my private vet for their history etc.My private vet contacted me asking if I was unhappy with their service,they stated they do a payment plan,you put so much a month into an account with them.I no longer have rabbits they're at the bridge now.

Thank you all. Poorly rabbit is generally well apart from the small fit yesterday. She Was grumpy when she got home but is happy enough this morning.

I will have a look and see if we are close enough to a blue cross as I know the pdsa won't be able to help us.

We have been to the vets multiple times per month with at least one of them in last 4/5 months we just not in the position anymore to be able to do it.

I understand.

It's really hard when that sort of thing happens and takes you unexpectedly.

I hope you can get some help for you and the buns x

Back