• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small bald patch on Charlie's ear

Lagomorphine

Warren Scout
Dear Rabbit Lovers,

A few days ago I noticed a small (about 4-5 mm diameter) bald patch on Charlie's ear.

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/Dv1I

Apart from the small area of hair loss, he seems perfectly healthy and happy. He does not seem to be irritated by it - no sign of scratching. No sign of hair loss anywhere else on his body. It cannot be overgrooming by another rabbit as he is currently a bachelor, living a parallel life adjacent to his not-so-friendly female friend.

No discharge and the inside of the ears look perfectly healthy. He lives in the garden in a decent size hutch+run+tunnel+extension combo.

Any ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Dear Rabbit Lovers,

A few days ago I noticed a small (about 4-5 mm diameter) bald patch on Charlie's ear.

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/Dv1I

Apart from the small area of hair loss, he seems perfectly healthy and happy. He does not seem to be irritated by it - no sign of scratching. No sign of hair loss anywhere else on his body. It cannot be overgrooming by another rabbit as he is currently a bachelor, living a parallel life adjacent to his not-so-friendly female friend.

No discharge and the inside of the ears look perfectly healthy. He lives in the garden in a decent size hutch+run+tunnel+extension combo.

Any ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi there Lagomorphine, and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm really sorry you've had no replies so far.

Looking at the photo of Charlie's ear, it would seem to me that he's scratched this little bit of fur off his ear.
What do you think?

BTW - he's rather gorgeous. Of course he looks like my Max :love:

hi lagomorphine - i had very similar issue with one of mine few weeks back (i posted on here too as was concerned) - looked very similar to yours .. two bald patches near edge of his lug. No sign of beasties, no sign of blood/trauma. Bunny was his normal self. Never found out what happened but the fur simply re-grew over the next week or so. Yet another great rabbit mystery :)
Hopefully same with charlie...

Hello MightyMax and Griffski,

Thanks for your comments. In some ways the lack of other responses is reassuring, I don't think I need to worry about it too much. I will keep an eye on it of course. Maybe, as MightyMax suggested, he just scratched his ear a bit too hard.

The only other thing I can think of is that a few weeks ago he was stung by a wasp on the ear - unbeknown to us wasps started to build a nest in one of the corners of the garden and while he was out on his usual daily supervised free-range time, he disturbed them. So he got stung by one of them. (And probably saved the rest of the family from being stung.) He suddenly went very docile and subdued, so we rushed him to the vet. By the time we got there half an hour later, he was back to normal, haha:lol:. However it is not impossible that this is some late reaction to the sting.

Other than that, I have no idea. But thanks for our ideas, it's much better to receive responses like "hmm, it's probably nothing" than "oh my God, that's a typical sign of the dangerous otopathy alopecia cuniculi or whatever".

Thanks for the compliments, MightyMax, he's quite a dashing young buck. Indeed he's similar to your Max (English Spot?) He has only been with us for a couple of months. Previously he lived on a farm in a hutch... He looked bored, so I parted with some money and took him home. I think he's happier now. He can tunnel, zoom and binky. If only his social skills were a bit better developed, he could join Willow Gannet, Queen of the Garden. But maybe one day...

Back