• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She bit him! (bonding crisis)

Sage

Warren Scout
Today was our second attempt at bonding the buns. Yesterday Branwen had a run in the garden on her lead and we took her over to Casey in the run. It went just fine, he sniffed her and she sat perfectly still.

So tonight was they were swapping over (Branwen going out, Casey coming in) we let them both go on the floor to get to know each other better, and it didn't go too well.

Branwen was sat on her blanket (under the window, her spot) and Casey just walked over sniffed her a bit, then she turned round and nipped his nose. They repeated the whole scenario thirty seconds later.

It's really out of character for Branwen, she's normally so placid. He wasn't really hurt, just a bit suprised (as were we, if anything we expected him to push her around)

I'm pretty sure she 'attacked' because she didn't want him in her territory (they both go there, but seperatly) so from now on we'll use somewhere neutral like the hall.

They are now both back in their respective hutches, which are next to each other, but not so they can see the other rabbit. Last time we tried that Casey sprayed and Branwen got frighted (that was before he was neutered)

Any advice on where to go from here?

Yep, you really need to stick to neutral territory a bit longer. Once they are relaxed where its neutral then introduce the girl to the boys space as it tends to be girls that are more territorial.

Tam

Hi there

I would have them in their houses next to eachother so they can see eachother. Let them sniff eachother out etc. I did this with my 2 before and while he was recovering form the snip.

Having them in a neutral place is a good idea when bonding them.

bronie

Thanks

Tam: Casey doesn't really have his own territory, just comes in after Branwen and runs around every where. Have to see what we can do.

Yes both of them; Branwen has been for at least six months, Casey for about two weeks.

Tried them on neutral teritory tonight (in the kitchen) and the same thing happened. It looked like Branwen was eating his nose, and he had done nothing more than look at her. Had to split them up and Branwen went to bed with no raisins.
They can see each in their respective hutches now, and seem fine. It's just when he comes within biting distance.

Really don't know what to do, please help.

Has she actualy bitten him and left a mark???

Do they fight as in rolling around the floor, really going for it or is it just run, stop, chase, hand-bag stuff?

Louise

Branwen hasn't really done any damage, not that we can see anyway (Casey isn't really into being held and looked over)

The biting is their only interaction. It's almost instant and then we seperate them (my Mum and brother get really freaked out by it)

Maybe you should leave then alone a bit longer and not be so quick to seperate them.

She could be just putting him in his place and saying I'm boss. :)

Louise

we had ours out together again today and there was a lot of chasing and sniffing, Kip was running around and even hopped into Busters cage (he thought it was his lucky day lol).

but I am finding that each time they are out together they get better, Buster tried to mount her a few time but not so much. We will kepp getting them out togther and slowly get them used to each other over a few weeks, we are building a big run in the spare room so they can be out of their hutches all day but they will see and smell each other and then we can just remove the middle section when they are happy with each other!

Good luck with the bonding it is very stressful (more for the humans I think lol)

Happy ending (I think)

Tried again tonight in the lounge, Branwen nipped at him (or tried to, eithier way he flinched) so we quickly broke them up. Rather than splitting them up completely Branwen had 'time out' in the pet carrier until she calmed down whilst Case had a look and sniff at her.

We then put them down again in the kitchen and it was a bit touch and go but they were fine. Just wandered around and sniffed each other a bit from eithier side of my lap.

In the end he mounted her three times. It was so funny to watch (freaked my brother out though, he thought neutred rabbits didn't do it any more :lol:) and amazingly she just sat there and took it.

So it's all very promising, we will try again tomorrow and have sessions every evening and go from there.

Mum's even said if these two bond okay we might adopt a third. (We went to the pet shop and saw the most beautiful babies, but I'm going to insist on another rescue)
Who'd have thought they could be so addictive. :lol:

Back