• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

adding a another bun to a bonded pair..is it possible?

bunnymad

Warren Scout
Hi there everyone

My daughter wonts her own bun as the 2 buns we have are rescues (mums cat was how we got Bugzee and someone left Shadow to roam the streets :x )

She is wonting her own bun, one she can choose and care for (along with Bugzee and Shadow) herself with my help. It will be a rescue bun but her choice :wink:

Shadow is a fixed male and Bugzee is a 100% female.

My questions are, does breed matter?

And what sex should we be looking at getting? Is a fixed male and 2 females unfixed ok :?: :?:

I was wonting a baby bun this time so she can tame it and be its mum even thou they will all share the same indoor home.

Thanks

bronie

Does are very territorial, and being unspayed will only make that worse. I would think that introducing another unspayed female into the mix could cause some major fighting.

We introduced two spayed does to a spayed doe and neutered buck pair, and that was mean enough. Not even sure if a neutered buck would be much better as you'll probably find your doe will still attack him.

As you're going to a rescue centre, you could take your pair along and see who they choose. I'd say breed matters less than temperament. But I don't have any experience bonding unspayed animals, so I don't know how realistic it is. Soz.

Thanks for that bertie.

I`m still thinking about at this stage. Maybe waiting till she is fixed and settled might be in oder. Then, what would be the best bun to add?

Thanks

bronie

I honestly don't know. I thought with our current introductions that Cassidy would hate Monopoly because she's a doe and Chips would take umbrage at us introducing a new male into his territory. But it seems that Chips has been through too many introductions to care what we do anymore and he just wants to be left alone while the others get on with it, and Cassidy has gone straight for Sheffield, and is largely ignoring Monopoly.

It's hard to predict what the little blighters are going to do. If you can arrange to take your rabbits with you to the rescue, then that should help. We took Monopoly when we got Sheffield. He mounted her a few times in the run, she ignored him and got on with munching the grass. We brought them home in the same carry case and that was it, they were bonded.

So, if you can let the bunnies choose, then do. If not, then I don't really know what sex would be best.

I've just bonded three Rabbit's very successfully.

I already had a bonded pair a neutered male and female. I then introduced a neutered female.

I would say two un-neutered females your asking for trouble. As Bertie has said there very territorial and you could have some major fighting on your hands.

It would be much easy if you where bonding 3 neutered Rabbit's as you haven't got raging hormone's to think about.

I have heard people say it's better to introduce a neutered male to an already bonded and neutered male/female pair, as the female in the group would accept the new male better.

Breed dosen't matter but its a good idea to get a Rabbit a similar size to your already bonded Rabbit's.

Louise

Back