• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit nasal discharge, comes and goes.

edward

Young Bun
So my rabbit has a wet nose every so often but I don't know why, it doesn't have a colour, the fur around the nose is not discoloured or crusty, and the discharge wasn't thick and gooey. It was basically like water, he does sneeze every so often.
He is still himself, eating, drinking and pooping properly, should I be worried about this? Its been happening since I got him.

So my rabbit has a wet nose every so often but I don't know why, it doesn't have a colour, the fur around the nose is not discoloured or crusty, and the discharge wasn't thick and gooey. It was basically like water, he does sneeze every so often.
He is still himself, eating, drinking and pooping properly, should I be worried about this? Its been happening since I got him.

Have you had your Rabbit checked over by a Vet ? If not I would arrange an appointment as there are many possible causes for a Rabbit to have a nasal discharge.

For example a clear nasal discharge with some sneezing can be due to an allergy such as dusty hay or wood shavings. Not sure what substrate you keep your Rabbit on.

Rabbits kept in the House can have allergic type reactions to things like air fresheners, furniture polish etc.

http://www.vetstream.com/pennardvets/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295074.asp

Hi edward.

I know what you mean about the sporadic wet nose - this is such a common finding in rabbits, and it's often very difficult to diagnose.

You could let a vet see him, but unless the discharge turns white which would indicate infection, a lot of vets would be reluctant to treat with antibiotics at this stage.

Allergies are not as common in rabbits as we are led to believe, and a wet nose is often an indicator of the strength of a rabbit's immune system.

Would you consider giving your rabbit echinacea? For example this?

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

A strong immune system will really help prevent any wet nose becoming an infection.

Quick update : When he sneezes, it sounds deep and sort of like a grunt. This never happened before. The hay I get is Timmothy hay from timmothyhay.co.uk and he does wood shavings but on top of the wood shavings I layed out news paper. The reason why I use wood shavings is because sometimes he pees outside of his litter box and its easy to clean, its also quite cheap. Are there any alternatives?

Last edited:
Quick update : When he sneezes, it sounds deep and sort of like a ****. This never happened before. The hay I get is Timmothy hay from timmothyhay.co.uk and he does wood shavings but on top of the wood shavings I layed out news paper. The reason why I use wood shavings is because sometimes he pees outside of his litter box and its easy to clean, its also quite cheap. Are there any alternatives?

Wood shavings aren't generally to be recommended as a substrate:

http://buckysbunnies.tripod.com/Pine.html

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

I use a thick layer of newspaper and then lots of hay on the top.

Hi. My rabbit Lucy used to be allergic to wood shavings, but I switched to pelleted, pressed wood shavings and her sneezing just stopped. Later on she became allergic to hay dust, so I was spraying a little bit of water on her hay to minimise the dust she inhales and it all worked. But she was sneezing quite a lot, discharge was also watery. My new rabbit Sam also has a bit watery nose, but I only heard him sneeze maybe once or twice in those 10 months that I have him, so not an allergy I guess. If he starts to sneeze more I would get him to a vet. Hope your rabbit gets better soon. Good luck!

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Thanks for the help, I'll try to use a thick layer of newspaper and then put hay on top as his bedding, to see if that helps with the sneezing.

Thanks for the help, I'll try to use a thick layer of newspaper and then put hay on top as his bedding, to see if that helps with the sneezing.

You're welcome :)

Hope that settles it down. However, some buns are just sneezies and they stay like that. Keeping the stress levels down is something I've found affects sneezy buns.

Good luck edward :)

Back